• 749cc
  • HandleOnTheRight's Gallery
  • One of the Danish Boys...
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 Triumph Daytona 675
  • Years Riding: 5yrs Dirt / 1.5yrs Street
How We Ride
« on: 10/12/08 11:11PM »
As OCmoto grows in size with each month, it becomes more and more crucial for new and senior members alike to be aware of "how we ride".  These are mainly measures that allow everyone to enjoy the trip, improve their skills, and return home safely at night.

1.  RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE.  Inevitably, there are quick riders and there are those who ride at a slower pace. Not a problem, the street IS NOT the track.  Ride at a pace where you do not feel pressure to push yourself.  Everyone has their own comfort level. Stay in it.

2.  You are responsible for the rider BEHIND you.  No one gets left behind. If you pull away from someone and come to a point where you are turning off of the road you have been on, it is your job to STOP, and WAIT for him/her to catch up.  If he/she is not present within 5 minutes, turn around and go find that person.  In the case that you come to a stop sign after falling behind, and no one is there stopped, continue straight, it means we did not turn off.  When joining a ride, it's always beneficial to know the route ahead of time to minimize confusion if riders get separated.  If you plan on breaking away from the group for any reason - notify the rider in front of you.  This is extremely important to avoid unnecessary search parties.  

3.  Please wear your gear, dress for the crash.  If you are unable to come up with the necessary equipment, post on the forum - many of us have extra gear if needed.  It is your personal choice as to what gear you wear; use common sense, skin grafts are excruciating.

4.  Watch for, echo, and follow hand signals.  If you do not know them, please refer to this link:
http://www.willowcreek.org/motorcycle/images/Universal_motorcycle_Hand_Signals.jpg

5.  Law Enforcement.  The major highways are no place to go for your top speed run.  In the event that the group gets pulled over at some point, be it on the 405 or back roads, the ride leader will discuss things with the police officer.  Show restraint when you're aggravated, even cops can respect that.

6.  If you need gas, pull alongside the rider ahead of you and point at your tank. Everyone should do this one at a time to let the leader know eventually that a fuel stop is needed.  Or, find a rider with chatterbox and alert them in the same manner.

Finally, this is a great read on how to ride the back roads: http://micapeak.com/info/thepace.html
« Last Edit: 11/03/08 05:28PM by HandleOnTheRight »

Offline SlickRick

• Rick
  • 998cc
  • SlickRick's Gallery
  • The Vigilante
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z1000
  • Years Riding: 15
Re: How We Ride
« Reply #1 on: 12/27/08 11:38PM »
Man..Thanks for the links...that some good info...and all the tips are greatly appreciated...!!!

Offline FlyingScotsman

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FlyingScotsman's Gallery
  • Auto Club Speeway 29Aug
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 R1 Blue
  • Years Riding: 20 YEARS
« Reply #2 on: 12/28/08 12:35AM »
Good post.   :1:   :42:

Offline Prinsses

« Reply #3 on: 03/08/09 12:19AM »
one day I will ride like u but now I'm a chikeen, but your
Info is great.

Offline ARc

• レボルバ ワリオ
  • 749cc
  • ARc's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250F
  • Years Riding: Since 2009
« Reply #4 on: 03/08/09 03:28PM »
I have a question. How far should we be following the person ahead of us?
行くぞう、英雄王。武器の貯蔵は充分か

Offline ARc

• レボルバ ワリオ
  • 749cc
  • ARc's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250F
  • Years Riding: Since 2009
« Reply #5 on: 03/08/09 05:21PM »
I see. Will remember for then noob ride this March :D
行くぞう、英雄王。武器の貯蔵は充分か

Frontboy

« Reply #6 on: 06/05/10 03:58PM »
Good words of Wisdome, I always have room to improve!

Offline zx12r

• 998cc
  • zx12r's Gallery
  • ✖ Ride, eat, sleep... repeat.
    • View Profile
    • Fast Cash 4 Fast Bikes
  • Bike: 02 Kawasaki Ninja ZX12R
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #7 on: 06/05/10 04:30PM »
+1 for good read...thanks! yep, go micapeak...ton of good biker stuff!

Offline Hawk92678

• 599cc
  • Hawk92678's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2002 Honda CBR F4I 600
  • Years Riding: 4 Years
« Reply #8 on: 06/05/10 06:08PM »
hate to be a pain in the butt but the link for signals has failed
When in doubt gas it

Dee Dub

« Reply #9 on: 06/05/10 08:44PM »
hate to be a pain in the butt but the link for signals has failed

Here's another...
http://www.45thparallelhog.com/Hand%20Signals.pdf

Offline radbrad511

• 749cc
  • radbrad511's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: dl650 crf450 JawaDT500
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #10 on: 07/31/10 06:28PM »
The PACE is one of the most useful pieces EVER!! Read it,now read it again! Practice it,now read it one more time!once you have got it ...READ IT AGAIN!!

Offline jonathonsdaddy

• 599cc
  • jonathonsdaddy's Gallery
  • If it has 2 Wheels I want to Ride It !
    • View Profile
    • Americas complete buying center
  • Bike: 2003 and 2009 FZ 1
  • Years Riding: 35+ street / 2 skills days / several TRACK days
« Reply #11 on: 10/15/10 07:59AM »

The willow creek link does not work ...but this one is : http://www.45thparallelhog.com/Hand%20Signals.pdf

This info. on micapeak is very good too :    http://micapeak.com/info/thepace.html

:45:
I 'll be ME and you be YOU !!

Offline Hyperbrad

• 749cc
  • Hyperbrad's Gallery
  • To ride is to be Free!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 11 R1200RT,07 Suzuki Bandit 1250 S,10 Ducati Hypermotard 796 2006 Honda CRF450R 2011 Husqvarna TE449
  • Years Riding: 37 years on Dirt, getting to know the street
« Reply #12 on: 12/06/10 12:43PM »
As OCmoto grows in size with each month, it becomes more and more crucial for new and senior members alike to be aware of "how we ride".  These are mainly measures that allow everyone to enjoy the trip, improve their skills, and return home safely at night.

1.  RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE.  Inevitably, there are quick riders and there are those who ride at a slower pace. Not a problem, the street IS NOT the track.  Ride at a pace where you do not feel pressure to push yourself.  Everyone has their own comfort level. Stay in it.

2.  You are responsible for the rider BEHIND you.  No one gets left behind. If you pull away from someone and come to a point where you are turning off of the road you have been on, it is your job to STOP, and WAIT for him/her to catch up.  If he/she is not present within 5 minutes, turn around and go find that person.  In the case that you come to a stop sign after falling behind, and no one is there stopped, continue straight, it means we did not turn off.  When joining a ride, it's always beneficial to know the route ahead of time to minimize confusion if riders get separated.  If you plan on breaking away from the group for any reason - notify the rider in front of you.  This is extremely important to avoid unnecessary search parties.  

3.  Please wear your gear, dress for the crash.  If you are unable to come up with the necessary equipment, post on the forum - many of us have extra gear if needed.  It is your personal choice as to what gear you wear; use common sense, skin grafts are excruciating.

4.  Watch for, echo, and follow hand signals.  If you do not know them, please refer to this link:
http://www.willowcreek.org/motorcycle/images/Universal_motorcycle_Hand_Signals.jpg

5.  Law Enforcement.  The major highways are no place to go for your top speed run.  In the event that the group gets pulled over at some point, be it on the 405 or back roads, the ride leader will discuss things with the police officer.  Show restraint when you're aggravated, even cops can respect that.

6.  If you need gas, pull alongside the rider ahead of you and point at your tank. Everyone should do this one at a time to let the leader know eventually that a fuel stop is needed.  Or, find a rider with chatterbox and alert them in the same manner.

Finally, this is a great read on how to ride the back roads: http://micapeak.com/info/thepace.html

That was a great read thank you for the info and links  Can't wait to meet you all!!
2011 BMW R1200RT

I love to ride and play, Life is a Journey!!  Live it up!

Offline SoCalFJR

• 998cc
  • SoCalFJR's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 YAMAHA FJR1300
  • Years Riding: Over 25 years
« Reply #13 on: 05/08/11 01:27PM »
THE PACE is an overall good article but there are things I disagree with,,,for instance the picture of the rider showing "62MPH MAX" on the sign.......If you go that "slow" on many Southern California freeways you run the risk of getting rear ended!

I think it's much safer on a motorcycle to go with the flow of traffic or slightly faster to avoid this issue.

Just my .02
Past Pleasures:
2007 Suzuki Bandit1250
2006 Triumph Sprint 1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan750
1984 Honda V65 1100 Sabre
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan750
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380

Gahawn

« Reply #14 on: 05/08/11 01:32PM »
THE PACE is an overall good article but there are things I disagree with,,,for instance the picture of the rider showing "62MPH MAX" on the sign.......If you go that "slow" on many Southern California freeways you run the risk of getting rear ended!

I think it's much safer on a motorcycle to go with the flow of traffic or slightly faster to avoid this issue.

Just my .02

You're probably right. I doubt Nick Ienatsch knows what he's talking about. :P

Offline ฿rian

• 998cc
  • ฿rian's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Huffy with a banana seat and an ace of spades in the spokes.
  • Years Riding: As long as Vanilla Ice
« Reply #15 on: 05/08/11 01:52PM »
On one of the links in the pages here the gubment stats have 6% of fatalities (or accidents can't remember) are from getting rearended.  Seems kinda strange people put as much time and energy into worrying about something that rates far lower than getting smacked by a left turn or lane changer...

"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat."

KMW Steve

« Reply #16 on: 05/08/11 03:52PM »

Just my .02

You have to remember that "The Pace" was originally written in 1993 when the MAX speed on MOST freeways was 55...so going 7 over the limit is acceptable and most likely will not result in a speeding ticket.
« Last Edit: 05/08/11 03:55PM by KMW Steve »

Offline Forum Proctologist.

« Reply #17 on: 05/08/11 08:28PM »

Just my .02

:32: :32:
* The preceding photo or paragraph/s its contents or comments, are NOT directed at anyone in particular, no need to get your panties in a bunch or take it personal.

Offline SoCalFJR

• 998cc
  • SoCalFJR's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05/09/11 12:08AM »

Just my .02

Ooooooo nice sarcasm, Thanks for the warm welcome!  :7:

All I'm saying is if traffic around you is doing 75 or 80 like on the 15 South heading towards San Diego you better be keeping up with the flow or with todays inattentive drivers (MUCH worse now than in 1993 when that article was written) you could be asking for a trip to the hospital or worse!

BTW......Never said Ienatsch doesn't know what he's talking about, but it doesn't mean everything he says is Gospel either OR that there's only ONE way to do things safely.
I did agree that's it's an overall GOOD article.
« Last Edit: 05/09/11 12:38AM by Bandit1250 »
Past Pleasures:
2007 Suzuki Bandit1250
2006 Triumph Sprint 1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan750
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380

Offline SoCalFJR

• 998cc
  • SoCalFJR's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05/09/11 12:36AM »

Just my .02

You have to remember that "The Pace" was originally written in 1993 when the MAX speed on MOST freeways was 55...so going 7 over the limit is acceptable and most likely will not result in a speeding ticket.

Good point......most officers will allow you 10 over without pulling you over but it does depend on the officer.
Past Pleasures:
2007 Suzuki Bandit1250
2006 Triumph Sprint 1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan750
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 56 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook