Topic: Project: Moneypit  (Read 13891 times)

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
Project: Moneypit
« on: 07/07/09 07:57PM »
For those of you unfamiliar with a project thread, this is the deal. I lock the build thread, only post progress pics and notes, and all discussion is here. If you feel the need to say something, feel free. Have at it. For once, no matter how idiotic a comment is, I'll take it as is and go. I may not agree with your opinion, but feel free to say whatever you want.

Some background:

I picked the bike up as a lien sale for $1500. Supposedly had only 2 miles on it and was wrecked before the kid even got insurance, he walks off, tow company sells it, I bought it from the guy who picked it up at auction. It's been sitting for nearly a year while I aggregate my fecal matter to such a degree as it is feasible to attempt to get this thing going again. Frame is broken beyond repair, front forks and wheel bent, electrical system shredded, yadda, yadda, yadda. My goal is a kick ass streetfighter. I have a replacement frame, direct from honda, $1350 in my garage. I have a new airbox, gas tank, front forks, wiring harness, headlight, and swinger. I have had Dr. Johns fix the front wheel and rotors, straightened the forks (they will go on my Monster build), and the engine is now the last question mark remaining. I still need a radiator, exhaust, and some assorted odds and ends, but for the most part, this bike is ready to be reassembled once the engine work is complete.

Enjoy
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline Ghost of Chimster

• Ducatis are like cigarettes...you might quit for a while, but you eventually pick one up again!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Ghost of Chimster's Gallery
  • I'm just a Ghost of my former self w/o 2 wheels...
    • View Profile
    • Next place on my bucket list...
  • Bike: 1999 Ducati Supersport 900 (Total Loss...*sob*)
  • Years Riding: Since 2008
Re: Project: Moneypit
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/09 09:28PM »
If you had known about the damage to the engine...would you have still paid $1500 for it?

Looks like a fun project...Good Luck!
"You've done nothing for which you should be ashamed."

"I've done nothing, and for that I AM ashamed."

-Dialogue between Aunt Charlotte and Benjamin "The Ghost" Martin from "The Patriot."

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
« Reply #2 on: 07/07/09 09:41PM »
It's still a good deal at that price.
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

bumble bee

« Reply #3 on: 07/07/09 09:49PM »
damn that looks like fun!  cant wait to see the final product

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/09/09 10:54AM »
Started trolling 1KRR.net and some other sites looking for a head. Got some info that the cap is a part of the head assembly and can't be purchased seperately. No sweat. Just a minor issue. Still looking for HRC kit stuff. When I wasn;t looking for parts, they were littering the ground and you tripped over them going to the fridge to get milk. Not that I want 'em, none around..... Timing is everything.

Offline Ghost of Chimster

• Ducatis are like cigarettes...you might quit for a while, but you eventually pick one up again!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Ghost of Chimster's Gallery
  • I'm just a Ghost of my former self w/o 2 wheels...
    • View Profile
    • Next place on my bucket list...
  • Bike: 1999 Ducati Supersport 900 (Total Loss...*sob*)
  • Years Riding: Since 2008
« Reply #5 on: 09/01/09 08:06AM »
Just wondering if there's been an update to this lately?
"You've done nothing for which you should be ashamed."

"I've done nothing, and for that I AM ashamed."

-Dialogue between Aunt Charlotte and Benjamin "The Ghost" Martin from "The Patriot."

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/01/09 08:55AM »
New head is in a box, waiting on some small parts to get it installed. I bought the official Honda service manual and it's TIGHT! Has all the info I need including proper part numbers, assembly techniques, the works. Also waiting on a triple tree. The old one was ruined in the crash and I need a new one to make a roilling chassis. Got a 520 conversion kit from Superbike Supply with an RK chain, and SuperSprox Stealth rear sprocket. The owner is on the 1KRR.net site, so I got a agreat deal on it. When I put the roller together I'll have pics of the rear to show. I'm concentrating on the GS500 this week. Got the tank mounts corrected, and a new petcock filter assembly installed, just waiting on a gasket set for the carbs. I ran it, but the float bowl gaskets leaked a LOT, so I get new ones this week. Rode my Monster to work today so it's all   :7: I'm going to try to make it to a night before I fly to India in late September.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/21/09 04:20PM »
OK, latest/greatest on moneypit: I got the steering stem ready, and have the tapered bearings ready to go in. As soon as I get some time back at home I'll be building my rolling chassis. I already ahve the reces installed in the frame, but had to dremel the stem to get the old race off. Major pain there....

Offline Jared

• 749cc
  • Jared's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '08 Yamaha r6s
  • Years Riding: Many
« Reply #8 on: 12/21/09 08:38PM »
Maybe I missed something.  The project bike is the 07 CBR 1000 ? ? ?

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12/21/09 08:43PM »

Offline tehrawr

• paradox
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • tehrawr's Gallery
  • invisibility is a relative thing
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 S2R1K : GSXR600K8 : 2004 Zuma 70 : 07' ex250 [sold]
  • Years Riding: since aug.2007
« Reply #10 on: 12/21/09 08:46PM »
nice to see progress being made mike.  good call on the supersprox, i've been very satisfied with mine. :7:

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/21/09 08:51PM »
Can't wait to get a rolling chassis. As soon as I have some time, that's next. I need to powder the lower sprocket, then it's ready. Still debating these though: Black TiN coated fork tubes!

Offline submaniac

« Reply #12 on: 12/24/09 06:51PM »
oooooh.  This sounds like a very familiar topic for me.  Here's the link to my 'moneypit project', a 2006 CBR1000rr.  I got it at the police impound auction for $950 with a clean title (had about 3,000 miles):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=68007&id=610491470&l=ea533805c3

here's what it looks like now:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=138345&id=610491470&l=4dd32d0c65

Do you need parts? I have a ridiculous amount of left overs.

chrisweir.com

« Reply #13 on: 12/24/09 08:46PM »
When I saw the title of the thread I thought it would be about Kareem's 1993 FRANKENBIKE.

Can't wait to see this thing when you're done.

Iamkar33m

« Reply #14 on: 12/24/09 10:04PM »
When I saw the title of the thread I thought it would be about Kareem's 1993 FRANKENBIKE.

Mike's moneypit is WAY more interesting (and fruitful).  Thanks for the thoughts though.  ;D

chrisweir.com

« Reply #15 on: 12/24/09 10:16PM »

Mike's moneypit is WAY more interesting (and fruitful).  Thanks for the thoughts though.  ;D

Dude, your pain has only just begun.

Did you sell your 250 yet?

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12/25/09 12:57PM »

Dude, your pain has only just begun.

Did you sell your 250 yet?

Beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. LOL

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12/25/09 01:01PM »
oooooh.  This sounds like a very familiar topic for me.  Here's the link to my 'moneypit project', a 2006 CBR1000rr.  I got it at the police impound auction for $950 with a clean title (had about 3,000 miles):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=68007&id=610491470&l=ea533805c3

here's what it looks like now:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=138345&id=610491470&l=4dd32d0c65

Do you need parts? I have a ridiculous amount of left overs.

Only things I'm missing are the radiator (mines bent) and the emissions canister (recall notice from DMV) and it's about ready. I'm going to powder coat the lower triple next week and start the rolling chassis.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12/25/09 01:02PM »

Offline submaniac

« Reply #19 on: 12/25/09 10:48PM »

Only things I'm missing are the radiator (mines bent) and the emissions canister (recall notice from DMV) and it's about ready. I'm going to powder coat the lower triple next week and start the rolling chassis.

I have my old radiator. There's a hole in it on the side from the crash.  I do not know if it can be fixed or not (think it can be welded).  If you want it I will give it to you for free to see what you can do.  If you can't use it, just toss it in the trash. 

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 60 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook