Topic: Project: Moneypit  (Read 13935 times)

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
Re: Project: Moneypit
« Reply #20 on: 12/27/09 11:01AM »
Free is always a good price.  :7:
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline submaniac

« Reply #21 on: 12/27/09 06:22PM »
From looking at your pictures, you will also need the white plastic coolant overflow tank.  I have an extra (I think).  Also free.  I have the assorted brackets and whatnot that you might need. (FREE FREE FREE!-->just pick up the crap before I throw it away, hahaha.)

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
« Reply #22 on: 12/27/09 07:17PM »
I'll be fabbing an overflow bottle out of an aluminum bottle. I'll be gone for the week in San Diego, but I can swing throuhg on my return run and pick up whatever you want to dump off.
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline submaniac

« Reply #23 on: 12/27/09 07:19PM »
cool. Whenever you want.  I don't think it's going anywhere! I am in Garden Grove, intersection of Euclid and Chapman. I am the neighbor of KingKong5 on this site.  Stop by whenever you have time.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12/27/09 08:04PM »
Will do.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03/27/10 07:43PM »
Well since my build thread is locked, I'm posting here:

It's now a rolling chassis!!

Only now I'm running out of room.....

Offline Ghost of Chimster

• Ducatis are like cigarettes...you might quit for a while, but you eventually pick one up again!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Ghost of Chimster's Gallery
  • I'm just a Ghost of my former self w/o 2 wheels...
    • View Profile
    • Next place on my bucket list...
  • Bike: 1999 Ducati Supersport 900 (Total Loss...*sob*)
  • Years Riding: Since 2008
« Reply #26 on: 03/27/10 07:57PM »
Woohoo!!!!
"You've done nothing for which you should be ashamed."

"I've done nothing, and for that I AM ashamed."

-Dialogue between Aunt Charlotte and Benjamin "The Ghost" Martin from "The Patriot."

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03/28/10 01:08PM »
If I can get the head swapped, it's about ready to reassemble. I have a new(ish) wiring harness and a valve cover gasket all ready to go, and I still get to take it to a Honda dealer for the tank inspection even if it's been wrecked. I called the customer service number to verify that. If the inspection shows bad welds, I get a BRAND NEW tank for free. If not, I have an unused tank sitting on a shelf too.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04/14/10 09:48AM »
Well, new head is on the engine, got a nice .002 squish on the cam, WAY below the .01 service tolerance limit, but FORGOT to check valve clearance. I'm using an '04/'05 head on an '07 block, so I need to make sure all the valves have clearance on the pistons before I run it. The old valves looked practically new, only minor carbon on the tops of the pistons. The valve cover looked a LOT worse than I thought, but it was free, so I guess I need a new one from ebay. $50 more or less. After that, the engine is ready to have the fuel rail re-installed and go back in the chassis. All I'm still missing is the replacement header, decent radiator even though mine is still technically usable, just bent, and a bar and riser set to have a bike I can start and ride. Once the bike can be started and is reassembled, it's got to go to a Honda dealer to have the tank recall checked out. I called Honda customer service, and they said I can take the wrecked tank in and see if it's in need of replacement on the recall and I can STILL get a free tank if it's a recall tank. Should be ready for that in about 3 or 4 weeks. Hope to be riding this thing by summer or so.

Also got the bar risers on my Monster installed. Since I'm using a replacement black bar with a lower curve profile than the stock bars, I get interference with the switches on the bars hitting the tank before it hits the end stops. That means now brake lines aren't long enough, so I just ordered a set of Spiegler custom brake lines, black lines, black fitting, black banjo bolts. They never oriented right anyway, so now I get to have them orient where I want them to instead of wherever they happen to, and they will look all snazzy blingy. After that, I'll get a custom clutch line to make it look right. Found some Venhill dome top banjo bolts I might try using too. They look SWEET. Kinda sucks. My arms and legs are WAY sore from the workouts, wrestling Frankenbike all the way to work and back would kill me and likely be unsafe, and the R6 still shoots flames, which might just attract a tad bit of attention from the popo, so next week I should have the Monster back for commuting again and it will all be good. I'm pretty sure if I'd pulled out with the R6 and ran in front of the motocop on 190th I saw this morning, he'd probaby have lit me up after the backfires instead of wave as I went by in my truck.

I got the GS500 "lunchbox" filter from K&N installed and it REALLY cleaned up the smoking problem. Waiting on a set of double shutoff quick disconnects to arrive so I can remove the gas tank without making a huge mess, then it's just about ready to ride. Donna gets her first lessons on that bike once it runs, since it's the only one her feet hit the ground on, and if she drops it, nobody will really care. It looks like crap already, so another dent or 2 won't hurt it.

Not a bad weekend all told.

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
  • Top Notch MotoSports,714-622-4352,714-650-1846
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
  • Bike: 1996 Harley-Davidson FatBoy, 2008 Honda CBR600RR, 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R
  • Years Riding: since 1998
« Reply #29 on: 04/14/10 10:42AM »
Glad to see her coming together.... finally! ha ha.
Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, be honest with yourself first, and the rest will follow!
 Top Notch MotoSports Voted #1 on OC HOTLIST!!!!

http://topnotchmotosport.com/Home_Page.php

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04/14/10 11:31AM »
Tell me about it. It sat in a garage for 2 years while I began the tedious process of getting the parts all in one place to rebuild it, and aggregated my fecal matter to the point I could get to it on my other projects. I STILL haven't been able to test out the dyna beads yet, but I want one of the Raven rear tires for the Monster, so I may be able to try it out on that. I'm just thrilled the rest of the projects are starting to reach a finish (ish) point instead of just hanging out there undone and not running.

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
  • Top Notch MotoSports,714-622-4352,714-650-1846
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
  • Bike: 1996 Harley-Davidson FatBoy, 2008 Honda CBR600RR, 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R
  • Years Riding: since 1998
« Reply #31 on: 04/14/10 12:56PM »
lol, you crack me up with your choice of words! ha ha.
Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, be honest with yourself first, and the rest will follow!
 Top Notch MotoSports Voted #1 on OC HOTLIST!!!!

http://topnotchmotosport.com/Home_Page.php

Offline ghostf4i

• 599cc
  • ghostf4i's Gallery
  • thats not a honda its a lawn mower
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02 yzf r6
  • Years Riding: 1 still
« Reply #32 on: 07/27/11 04:13PM »
Gl on ur build I'm in the same boat as you in a way
06 yzf600r sold
01 cbr600 f4i sold
02 yzf-r6 sitting in my garage

Offline calamari

• Devil's Advocate
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • calamari's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 KLR650
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #33 on: 07/27/11 06:45PM »
By chance was this bike red and black? Do you know where the collision occured or from what dealership it came from? I recall a very young very inexperienced boy purchasing a CBR1000 from a fellow coworker(salesman) and it was a very tragic case. Just wondering if it might be the same guy.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07/27/11 08:00PM »
By chance was this bike red and black? Do you know where the collision occured or from what dealership it came from? I recall a very young very inexperienced boy purchasing a CBR1000 from a fellow coworker(salesman) and it was a very tragic case. Just wondering if it might be the same guy.

It WAS red and black. Not too tragic in this case. The kid walked away from the bike almost completely unhurt. Stupid, but unhurt.

Offline motorcycledood

« Reply #35 on: 07/12/12 04:06PM »
This is going to be one project thats for sure. How much do you think approximately the end result is going to cost once you have piece everything together. The only thing that was untouched was probably the tank.  Good thing is watching it coming back to life bad thing is having to watch it for many months without being able to ride it.

Offline Adrian

• 599cc
  • Adrian's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Two Ducati 900 Supersports. '99 & '93
« Reply #36 on: 08/03/14 03:52PM »
Curious about your SS in there. Is that a 900 or 800 or the 1000? Ride her much?

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11/14/14 11:55PM »
The 800 was sold to somebody else, and now the project bike is for sale to fund the down payment on a house. I'm moving to Denver and buying a house there.

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 64 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook