Topic: The Jacket of Shame  (Read 314 times)

Offline Gone in 60

• 599cc
  • Gone in 60's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200R, Triumph Bonneville
  • Years Riding: 10 years
The Jacket of Shame
« on: 08/13/18 02:05PM »
Behold the Jacket of Shame. To explain: I've always been a big guy. When my wife became a geriatric nurse in 2011, she started treating people in their 70s and 80s, who didn't take good care of themselves in their earlier years. She and I certainly weren't doing ourselves any favors in that department. But, she said "if we want any sort of independence and mobility 30 years from now, we need to turn ourselves around right now, in our 40s".

So we did, and embarked on a very ambitious lifestyle change of good food and exercise. By 2012, we were both in the best shape of our lives, and were getting congratulations all around. All of my riding gear became too baggy to wear, and with great pride I sold it all off and bought all new gear, befitting someone who had just lost about 85 pounds. Since lots of new gear is expensive, she made me promise that I'd never go back in the other direction.

In 2015, we both started new jobs, both had upheavals in our lives, and, to put it mildly, I fell off the wagon. More accurately, fell off, caught my pant leg, and got dragged by the wagon. And, three years later, my snazzy small jackets are pretty hard to zip up. I can hold it in for a 30 minute commute, but thinking about my road trip coming up next week, that will be uncomfortable.

Telling my wife that I needed a bigger jacket basically pulled off the Band-Aid for both of us. We're climbing back on the wagon, and while she grudgingly agreed that a new jacket would be more comfortable on long rides, there were rules. This would be jacket of shame. So it could not be nice, new and expensive. Agreed...

Ok. The jacket you see here was purchased off of Craig's list yesterday for $40. It's a remarkably clean Olympia, and looks like it was never worn.

My goal, six months from now, is to pass on this jacket to someone on the board for free, once it's too large for me. Someone please remind me in six months...
« Last Edit: 08/13/18 02:33PM by Gone in 60 »
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Online thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
Re: The Jacket of Shame
« Reply #1 on: 08/13/18 05:11PM »
Having put some weight back on recently and jackets getting tight and at least 1 I can't wear I hear what your saying. I trying desperty to go back into shirking mode myself.
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
« Reply #2 on: 08/14/18 06:19AM »
Glad to see you going there.  (I'm a tad heavy myself these days.)  If you did it before, then you can do it again!

Best of luck,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Online thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #3 on: 08/14/18 03:21PM »
I've recently picked up another 2 wheeled hobby to help me with this exact same thing...

Down about 18lb so far, another 80 to go probably :D

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
  • The Huntington Hillbilly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Wr450 plated, 76 Rd 400, 78 Yz250, 79 Yz 125, 78 Yz100,
  • Years Riding: Cant remember
« Reply #4 on: 08/14/18 09:59PM »
Grass isn't always greener boys, At around 50yrs old I was a 165lbs riding and surfing regular ALWAYS a big meat eater then suddenly got gut sick not eating hardly at all doctors couldn't figure it out for months (This happened wile I have been member here)   Finally diagnosed with gastrointestinal and Celiac disease cant have red meat No dairy No deserts even most fruit makes me gag now 56 yrs old and stuck at 140lbs Chicken and fish is all that's on the menu these days  I don't buy my fish I prefer to hunt it down, Diet and exercise is key  FAST FOOD IS POISON!!
« Last Edit: 08/15/18 07:06AM by Rd Todd »
Bikers are good people!

Offline Gone in 60

• 599cc
  • Gone in 60's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200R, Triumph Bonneville
  • Years Riding: 10 years
« Reply #5 on: 08/15/18 10:09AM »
Fast food is poison. When I was at my best, eating clean good food, and getting lots of exercise, eating a burger would give me a stomach ache. Nowadays, I spend much of my time in a truck and trailer on the highway, or in airports, so grabbing quick and convenient is the easy way to go. Deep fried macaroni and cheese at the Flying J or Pilot truck stops is yummy... Just need to change back to what I was doing.

Bicycles? Yup. Between my wife and I, we have four of those hanging on pulleys from our garage ceiling. They remind me that they haven't been ridden, since my head bumps into them when I have a helmet on. I plan on hoisting them down, and riding them. Heck, they just finished a bike path that goes right behind my condo complex to the Santa Ana river trail, so no excuses.
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Online thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #6 on: 08/15/18 11:58AM »
Most of the standard American diet is poison problem is it's freaking everywhere in your and face. It's about making good choices 1 day at a time and every thing you eat ask yourself is this worth it? When I stop asking myself is it worth it i stop make good choies.
« Last Edit: 08/15/18 03:46PM by thepretender »
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #7 on: 08/15/18 02:19PM »
My mom made Indian food too spicy for me as a kid so I drank a lot of water then what little food I ate my mom made from scratch...as a free-choice adult I started eating way worse to my pallet’s delight but felt like crap

I now mostly start my day with a smoothie/eggs, chicken at home, I drink more water and only eat fried/crap a few times a week as treats

On the other hand I do eat fried stuff at the fair and enjoy it now since I may not be able to
I. 30 years haha
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #8 on: 08/15/18 11:06PM »
Fried food will kill you much sooner then baked food . I bake almost everything because I wrap tin foil on my pan and toss it in thr oven / lazy .  I recently got into broiling Stater Bros steakes . I see it like this eat fried food once a week to be safe and I like rasing canes chicken .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 47 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook