Topic: My motorcycle isn't starting!!! HELP  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Jaimelucioherrera

My motorcycle isn't starting!!! HELP
« on: 02/26/10 06:11PM »
         I let my bike sit for a month due to the weather and now it wont start. Im tryying to trouble shoot it, i had the battery slow charged and its still not starting.......... this is the sound it makes, "na na na na na na" like it wants to start. I smell gasoline coming out of the exhaust so the fuel injecters are functioning. text me if you can help 626-641-8836

Dee Dub

Re: My motorcycle isn't starting!!! HELP
« Reply #1 on: 02/26/10 06:14PM »
Might have flooded it....let it set for awhile, and this time, leave the throttle alone.

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
  • Top Notch MotoSports,714-622-4352,714-650-1846
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
  • Bike: 1996 Harley-Davidson FatBoy, 2008 Honda CBR600RR, 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R
  • Years Riding: since 1998
« Reply #2 on: 02/26/10 06:26PM »
did you store it with the fuel in the tank?

Flush out the fuel system.
Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, be honest with yourself first, and the rest will follow!
 Top Notch MotoSports Voted #1 on OC HOTLIST!!!!

http://topnotchmotosport.com/Home_Page.php

Offline HBguy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • HBguy's Gallery
  • hella hyphy
    • View Profile
  • Bike: s1000rr
« Reply #3 on: 02/26/10 06:29PM »
flood a fuel injected engine?   ???

if you smell gasoline out of the exhaust, sounds like you don't have spark.
OCMoto isn't about the internet. - Privateer
i dont have anywhere to be. and even if i did, i would rather ride. - -KENNETH-
Its a big scary world out there! - DetailTodd

Dee Dub

« Reply #4 on: 02/26/10 06:34PM »
flood a fuel injected engine?   ???

Yeah, you're prob right....been thinking carbs too much *with the new ninja*

...but, BTW
http://www.freeengineinfo.com/engine-flooded.htm

Engine flooded
Category: Auto Tuning —
What happens when an engine gets flooded? Generally this happens to carbureted cars but could happen to fuel injected cars if there is a problem with it. Every engine needs a specific amount of air and fuel to work correctly. If there is too little fuel the engine is lean if the engine has too much fuel it is rich. Flooding can occur when the ignition system is weak and does not start the engine quickly. If the carburetor (gas petal) is pumped too much before starting the engine can become excessively rich to the point where it can’t ignite the fuel. As you continue to rotate the engine, more fuel is added to the already excessive amount of fuel. There are a few methods to start the vehicle first, just let the vehicle sit, the fuel will evaporate out after 20 or 30 minutes. Remove the spark plug which may be fouled out with black carbon any ways. Slightly fouled plugs can be wiped off, severe cases can be burned off with a propane torch. Severe fouled plugs will need to be replaced, make sure the plug is original and hot enough heat range. After the spark plug is out stick it back in the spark plug wire, lay it on a metal part on the engine, spin the engine and verify the plug is firing. This also helps to get air in the engine and excessive fuel out. The third option is to hold the throttle wide open. In a carbureted vehicle, the air moving through the carb won’t suck fuel when held WOT if the engine is not running. In fuel injected vehicles the ecm, ecu, computer won’t send any fuel through the injectors if the gas petal is held wide open. If the ignition is o.k. and the vehicle floods continuously, then the carburetor idle circuit may be too rich.

Offline HBguy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • HBguy's Gallery
  • hella hyphy
    • View Profile
  • Bike: s1000rr
« Reply #5 on: 02/26/10 06:40PM »
With FI, fuel is vaporized and its near impossible to keep it flooded.  I'm not a 4 stroke technician, especially with carbs but if I remember right the main problem with flooding isn't as much 'too much fuel' as much as it is non-vaporized fuel (liquid state).  if i were, that damn generator in my garage would be running now.  :P
OCMoto isn't about the internet. - Privateer
i dont have anywhere to be. and even if i did, i would rather ride. - -KENNETH-
Its a big scary world out there! - DetailTodd

Offline BLACK

• Factory Suspension Engineer
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • BLACK's Gallery
  • Where knowledge and technology meet the track.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/27/10 12:09AM »
Pull the plugs and look for gunk.

Offline kingchickenstrip

• 749cc
  • kingchickenstrip's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 gsxr1000/03 gsxr1000 naked/06 gsxr1000/08 Aprilia RSV-R
  • Years Riding: 8 years
« Reply #7 on: 02/27/10 04:23AM »
flood a fuel injected engine?   ???

Yeah, you're prob right....been thinking carbs too much *with the new ninja*

...but, BTW
http://www.freeengineinfo.com/engine-flooded.htm

Engine flooded
Category: Auto Tuning —
What happens when an engine gets flooded? Generally this happens to carbureted cars but could happen to fuel injected cars if there is a problem with it. Every engine needs a specific amount of air and fuel to work correctly. If there is too little fuel the engine is lean if the engine has too much fuel it is rich. Flooding can occur when the ignition system is weak and does not start the engine quickly. If the carburetor (gas petal) is pumped too much before starting the engine can become excessively rich to the point where it can’t ignite the fuel. As you continue to rotate the engine, more fuel is added to the already excessive amount of fuel. There are a few methods to start the vehicle first, just let the vehicle sit, the fuel will evaporate out after 20 or 30 minutes. Remove the spark plug which may be fouled out with black carbon any ways. Slightly fouled plugs can be wiped off, severe cases can be burned off with a propane torch. Severe fouled plugs will need to be replaced, make sure the plug is original and hot enough heat range. After the spark plug is out stick it back in the spark plug wire, lay it on a metal part on the engine, spin the engine and verify the plug is firing. This also helps to get air in the engine and excessive fuel out. The third option is to hold the throttle wide open. In a carbureted vehicle, the air moving through the carb won’t suck fuel when held WOT if the engine is not running. In fuel injected vehicles the ecm, ecu, computer won’t send any fuel through the injectors if the gas petal is held wide open. If the ignition is o.k. and the vehicle floods continuously, then the carburetor idle circuit may be too rich.
Did it crank over slowly? If it was sitting for a month then the battery could be weak. Low voltage will open fuel injectors but also give a weak spark, causing the engine to flood. I had this problem with my track bike. I let it sit a day and then jumped it with a car.
I like my women like I like my bikes, loud, fast, and naked.

k

« Reply #8 on: 02/27/10 10:19AM »
Did it crank over slowly? If it was sitting for a month then the battery could be weak. Low voltage will open fuel injectors but also give a weak spark, causing the engine to flood. I had this problem with my track bike. I let it sit a day and then jumped it with a car.

It's a BAD idea to jump a bike with the car because of the extremely high amperage in the car's electrical system (especially when running). Bump starting is a better idea, that is if you have the means of accomplishing it (a downhill or a buddy to help you).  But if you MUST jump a bike with a car, please make sure the car is off.

Offline motor city

• I enjoy a nice inline 4, but I make my living on V-twins
  • 599cc
  • motor city's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: HD XR, FZ1
  • Years Riding: 4 yrs (current) + 6 yrs a long time ago
« Reply #9 on: 02/27/10 11:02AM »
With raw fuel smell coming out the tailpipe it is flooded.  Yes FI engines can flood too.  When the bike sits for a period the "lighter" constituents of the gas evaporate off and you are left with stuff that is harder to vaporize and ignite, particularly when cold.  The spark plugs are no doubt black and wet so pull them and clean or replace them.  While out you can crank the engine over to verify if you have spark or not.  Once you know you have spark ( the ignition system is firing the plug) then drain and refill with fresh gas and you should be good to go.
"I don't want to belong to any organization that would have me as a member!" - Groucho Marx

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 42 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook