Topic: Classifieds Policy  (Read 17880 times)

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
Re: Classifieds Policy
« Reply #20 on: 03/22/10 09:21AM »
I think for some examples of forums rules run amok, you only need to look at any forum run by VerticalScope. They are a marketing corporation that runs forums that are simply advertising portals for the sponsor group. No posts, even PM's, listing other sites not affiliated with the VS sponsor group are allowed, and they are auto-deleted by a bot if detected. No sigs with links, you can't even offer to sell parts on some. I've been banned from one for PM's involving parts sales on used parts.

I see complaints from people who don't have to be the ones paying the bills. Keep in mind, the access to this site is NOT free. Servers cost money. Site access costs money. While K's idea for individuals to pay is nice, in the end, even if THAT were the funding methodology, we still need some framework to allow for the members to be able to buy and sell what they have, as well as allowing the paying mermbers to have some protection on their investment and  stop system abuse. What if a paying member decided to post 15 times a day about his used car business? Without a framework in place as guidelines, there really is no way to say he CAN'T do that.

Sponsors need to have somewhat of a guarantee that the money they pay will have a protection as an investment. It IS paid advertising of a sort. All this new framework does, is allow for freedom of members to buy and sell, while protecting paying sponsors. Keep in mind this is also a work in progress and some tweaks will inevitably be needed as the process unfolds. This isn't congress. No paid lobbyists are giving anybody homes in the Bahamas for votes.

It's down to common sense. The BAR rule was crossed out. Why exactly would a sponsor advertising for notary public services need to register with the BAR? Not every sponsor is an auto/bike repair shop. Common sense. Sadly, it's lacking sometimes. Stavesacre fixes CF parts. If someone knows this and takes parts to him, that's there business. If a fellow biker calls me and asks to borrow my stands to swap some forks and I help while I'm there, it's just help. A sponsor wasn't going to get that work anyway. A business license shows you are serious. As it was stated, OCMOTO accepts some liability of reputation by accepting a sponsor. I know when I hear some clown talking smack about this site because we ain't down wit da stunna 411, I get a little pissed because I know what we do is promote a safe environment, both as a site, and as motorcyclists. I want my kid to be able to see this place and feel like I don't have to monitor every mouse click, as well as hope he doesn;t get some moron convincing him that riding a gixxer with flip flops while wheely-ing down the freeway all his buddies have stopped up is a great idea. Common sense.

I feel it's important that we let the process do it's job. It's there to protect everybody, not just a few. The rules are simple, few, and some are open to negotiation, such as the selling of new unused parts. I wrote the original draft of the policy and there was a LOT more than Dane kept. He distilled it down to a few common sense points. How about we, as a group, try using a little common sense for a change too?
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline calamari

• Devil's Advocate
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • calamari's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 KLR650
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #21 on: 03/22/10 10:31AM »
yawn

Offline triplestack3

« Reply #22 on: 03/22/10 10:36AM »
Member Ads

Aimed at ensuring OCM Members will be able to use the classifieds section effectively. Defines what a personal ad is, and limits commercial posts.

·       Items for sale must be “Used” and sold by a non-commercial entity. Posts should be for personal transactions only and must be in possession and sold by the member.

·       Over 5 threads or transactions per month may result in restrictions on the account with Moderator warning. Threads shall not be updated, edited, or new posts added to circumvent the monthly thread limit.

·       Bumping of threads may result in post deletion with Moderator warning. In general, threads should not be bumped more than once every 3 days.

·       Duplicate posts in multiple forums will be considered "nuisance posts" and will likely result in ALL posts relating to that item being deleted. 1 warning will be sent explaining the reason for the deletion. Reposting multiples will be considered a violation of the Terms of Service and will be dealt with accordingly.

·       Members selling “never before used” items may be permitted at Moderator discretion, however, should not exceed 1 transaction per month.
Just out of curiosity, what if I'm putting a bike back to stock form before I sell it and there are more than 5 items that I am trying to sell? Obviously it should all be in one thread, but limited only to 5 transactions?

bumble bee

« Reply #23 on: 03/22/10 10:37AM »
^^^ good point. 

Oliver is a stand up member of this site who always has killer deals on great products.  I really would hate to see that restricted

Offline PIKE 49

• PIIIIIKKKKKKKKEEEEE
  • 749cc
  • PIKE 49's Gallery
  • Just remember....
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda Shadow 1100 project
« Reply #24 on: 03/22/10 10:54AM »
Ya i had never read this part, that sucks, i bought a never before used light just the other day from the forum, and your telling me know that guy would have to get permission before posting it? This site is turning corporate and the funny thing is its still small to be doing that.  that sux.. just my pennies.

Offline RRichie09

• The poster formerly know as KulSecHskY
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • RRichie09's Gallery
  • Twisties! Yay!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '06 600RR
  • Years Riding: Purple
« Reply #25 on: 03/22/10 11:39AM »
Ya i had never read this part, that sucks, i bought a never before used light just the other day from the forum, and your telling me know that guy would have to get permission before posting it? This site is turning corporate and the funny thing is its still small to be doing that.  that sux.. just my pennies.

Dude, its not just about the rules, its about how its enforced.  I doubt the mods on this forum is gonna be all uptight about it.  they have't been in the past and I see no reason for them to be uptight now.

-Rich

Offline Dane

• Sparky
  • Administrator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Dane's Gallery
  • a.k.a. A11214576266
    • View Profile
    • www.ocmoto.com
  • Bike: '07 R1, '02 YZ426
  • Years Riding: 11.56
« Reply #26 on: 03/22/10 12:01PM »
Member Ads

Aimed at ensuring OCM Members will be able to use the classifieds section effectively. Defines what a personal ad is, and limits commercial posts.

·       Items for sale must be “Used” and sold by a non-commercial entity. Posts should be for personal transactions only and must be in possession and sold by the member.

·       Over 5 threads or transactions per month may result in restrictions on the account with Moderator warning. Threads shall not be updated, edited, or new posts added to circumvent the monthly thread limit.

·       Bumping of threads may result in post deletion with Moderator warning. In general, threads should not be bumped more than once every 3 days.

·       Duplicate posts in multiple forums will be considered "nuisance posts" and will likely result in ALL posts relating to that item being deleted. 1 warning will be sent explaining the reason for the deletion. Reposting multiples will be considered a violation of the Terms of Service and will be dealt with accordingly.

·       Members selling “never before used” items may be permitted at Moderator discretion, however, should not exceed 1 transaction per month.
Just out of curiosity, what if I'm putting a bike back to stock form before I sell it and there are more than 5 items that I am trying to sell? Obviously it should all be in one thread, but limited only to 5 transactions?

Triplestack,

We used 'may' to set a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. In your situation, by selling more than 5 items, you're not trying to circumvent the overall intent of the policy which is that the classifieds are primarily here for members to sell things, not businesses.

It is for situations like these that we left it open to Moderator discretion, and I wouldn't expect for that thread to be removed.

Offline triplestack3

« Reply #27 on: 03/22/10 01:14PM »
gotcha - thanks for the clarification. This forum is a lot better than most when it comes to stuff like this.

The only thing that bugs me a little is when someone makes their first post in the classifieds section. Buying a used bike is a big deal and it's much easier buying from someone that is trustworthy.

Offline LBCR1

• Advisory Board member
  • OCM Sweeper
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • LBCR1's Gallery
  • Team Insomnia
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 Red Fiat Yamaha R1- 05 CBR600rr race team
  • Years Riding: 5 years on dirt and street motorcycles
« Reply #28 on: 03/22/10 01:52PM »
gotcha - thanks for the clarification. This forum is a lot better than most when it comes to stuff like this.

The only thing that bugs me a little is when someone makes their first post in the classifieds section. Buying a used bike is a big deal and it's much easier buying from someone that is trustworthy.

i think this will take care of that once the trial is over

Member Ads

·       New threads must be approved by Moderator if less than 50 posts.

Offline triplestack3

« Reply #29 on: 03/22/10 02:11PM »
makes sense to me

Offline ucigaragemilitia

• 998cc
  • ucigaragemilitia's Gallery
  • Isaiah 54:17
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6 (SOLD), 2006 GSXR 750
  • Years Riding: 6
« Reply #30 on: 03/22/10 10:49PM »
Well unfortunately this new policy means the axe for me and my "Minor Motorcycle Service" thread.  I understand the reasons behind the changes, but I still feel a little screwed because I had decently established myself as a credible and knowledgeable, albeit non-professional, mechanic and now that's all gone.  I do think its a little unfair in my case, as my services and qualifications were very clear not only in my thread but also when a client showed up at my garage, but rules aren't always fair i guess...

Offline PIKE 49

• PIIIIIKKKKKKKKEEEEE
  • 749cc
  • PIKE 49's Gallery
  • Just remember....
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03/22/10 10:50PM »
sEE THATS WHAT I WAS GETTING TOO, PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN HERE ARE GOING TO BE EFFECTED BADLY.

Gahawn

« Reply #32 on: 03/22/10 10:55PM »
Well unfortunately this new policy means the axe for me and my "Minor Motorcycle Service" thread.  I understand the reasons behind the changes, but I still feel a little screwed because I had decently established myself as a credible and knowledgeable, albeit non-professional, mechanic and now that's all gone.  I do think its a little unfair in my case, as my services and qualifications were very clear not only in my thread but also when a client showed up at my garage, but rules aren't always fair i guess...

I've gotta imagine you fall primarily under the "friends helping friends" clause, no? If not then there should at least be a grandfather clause.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
« Reply #33 on: 03/23/10 06:54AM »

I've gotta imagine you fall primarily under the "friends helping friends" clause, no? If not then there should at least be a grandfather clause.

The reason it didn't fit in "freinds helping freinds" was because the first post showed it was strictly commercial in nature by posting fixed prices for services. For now we use the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit, mostly to avoid any type of favoritism. We punish the innocent with the guilty as equals. :) I've talked with ucigaragemilitia. I personally don't want to see that type of post disappear completely, but he seems to understand what the boundaries at phase 1 are and why, and he's working to help us establish the framework for phase 2. The most important part is that if something seems unfair, it's pointed out calmly. If there is something Dane sees as beneficial and can get implemented, then it will be. Not everybody is going to be happy all the time. We're trying to keep the members able to post relatively freely, but still keep the abusers at bay. It's going to take time and we all appreciate the patience some of you have displayed.
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline ucigaragemilitia

• 998cc
  • ucigaragemilitia's Gallery
  • Isaiah 54:17
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6 (SOLD), 2006 GSXR 750
  • Years Riding: 6
« Reply #34 on: 03/23/10 08:06AM »
Yea, just to put it out there, I am not upset or pissed.  I was just confused.  I stand behind what the OCMoto Admins are doing, it makes sense for the most part.  Im sure everything will work out for the best in the end.

Offline GoDzILLaH

« Reply #35 on: 03/23/10 10:09AM »
Yea, just to put it out there, I am not upset or pissed.  I was just confused.  I stand behind what the OCMoto Admins are doing, it makes sense for the most part.  Im sure everything will work out for the best in the end.

Off Topic:
Sam,
  Maybe you can strart a thread called "Friends Helping Friends" and without a fixed price just put donation amount :). I got your number stored Sam and I am sure others as well so you will continue to get customers by the word of mouth. :).

On Topic:
But Controlling the Classified Section Is A Good Thing.

Offline Stavesacre

• It's SAM damn it, not Steve! *&#%$
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Stavesacre's Gallery
  • The Ferrari of bikes
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ducati 749 Dark
  • Years Riding: 2005
« Reply #36 on: 03/23/10 11:20AM »
How about flowers... like CL Adult classifieds!
100 roses for a 1/2 hr
200 roses for 1hr.. lol

Really though, a community is built around the people. Remove the creative freelance, and you snub-out what makes it so great. How about needing to have a license to dispense advice....

Consider this Mod's...

A vendor section were they can post sales/promotions. Then a classifieds area for back door deals. Classifieds are just that, personal postings that offer personal services (not referring to adult services this time). Vendor area can be subject to laws that reach far and above classifieds. Vendor gets out of line and zap-o. Classified post provides a disservice, we post review!
Allowing people to choose to go with a shop, or someone who knows their way around the garage.

I think breaking this out into two areas would mitigate allot of this confusion.
Does your carbon fiber look like crap?       I repair carbon fiber!       Cracks, holes, chips....   sun damage!      New UV resistant resin and clear coat.       Don't throw it away,      repair it!

Offline PIKE 49

• PIIIIIKKKKKKKKEEEEE
  • 749cc
  • PIKE 49's Gallery
  • Just remember....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03/23/10 11:30AM »
How about flowers... like CL Adult classifieds!
100 roses for a 1/2 hr
200 roses for 1hr.. lol

Really though, a community is built around the people. Remove the creative freelance, and you snub-out what makes it so great. How about needing to have a license to dispense advice....

Consider this Mod's...

A vendor section were they can post sales/promotions. Then a classifieds area for back door deals. Classifieds are just that, personal postings that offer personal services (not referring to adult services this time). Vendor area can be subject to laws that reach far and above classifieds. Vendor gets out of line and zap-o. Classified post provides a disservice, we post review!
Allowing people to choose to go with a shop, or someone who knows their way around the garage.

I think breaking this out into two areas would mitigate allot of this confusion.

the first part was funny, and then wondering how u know this  haha,

the second part, makes perfect sense, and sounds gooood.

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
  • Top Notch MotoSports,714-622-4352,714-650-1846
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
  • Bike: 1996 Harley-Davidson FatBoy, 2008 Honda CBR600RR, 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R
  • Years Riding: since 1998
« Reply #38 on: 03/23/10 11:38AM »
There again, some "vendors" have regular deals that they post such as used gear or used parts that are separate from shop However since I am referred to as a "shop" then would my personal posts get deleted in this section you mention!?!?
Or do ALL of my post have to be in the "VENDOR" section. Remember I have been around this site since it first opened and signed up a year ago (almost) not as a vendor but as myself. Now with that in the mix, How would your proposed "back door" work?
Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, be honest with yourself first, and the rest will follow!
 Top Notch MotoSports Voted #1 on OC HOTLIST!!!!

http://topnotchmotosport.com/Home_Page.php

Offline CycleVIN

« Reply #39 on: 03/23/10 12:02PM »
There again, some "vendors" have regular deals that they post such as used gear or used parts that are separate from shop However since I am referred to as a "shop" then would my personal posts get deleted in this section you mention!?!?
Or do ALL of my post have to be in the "VENDOR" section. Remember I have been around this site since it first opened and signed up a year ago (almost) not as a vendor but as myself. Now with that in the mix, How would your proposed "back door" work?

I too am a little bit confused. I was about to list a classified ad this morning for a shock I pulled off my bike yesterday...but now I'm not sure where to post or if I am even allowed to. I listed it on craigslist:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1657770765.html

Do new parts go in the vendors section and used parts go in the classifieds, or do I too need to list all items I want to sell in the vendors section? Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 56 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook