Topic: What Did You Do Today??? - Pics Or It Didn't Happen!  (Read 657549 times)

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
Re: What Did You Do Today??? - Pics Or It Didn't Happen!
« Reply #7260 on: 07/24/17 07:31PM »
Reposting his images.

Doesn't look like 18k worth of machine to me. Maybe I don't get the BMW thing. 12k.. sure. 18? eh.

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
« Reply #7261 on: 07/24/17 08:42PM »
At the BMW event at California Speedway a few weeks ago I rode the R1200R, since they did not have any 4 cylinder bikes available.  The R1200R was, well, OK, but a bit agricultural.  Tractor-ish.  I don't get the BMW thing either, except for the S1000R/RR.

Offline bramer

• NooB
  • bramer's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1986 Nighthawk 700S
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #7262 on: 07/25/17 06:28PM »
Thanks for the repost of the pictures, I haven't done this in a while.  I have tried a new site, let's hope it works. 

Offline Rd Todd

• 125cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
  • The Huntington Hillbilly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Wr450 plated, 76 Rd 400, 78 Yz250, 79 Yz 125, 78 Yz100,
  • Years Riding: Cant remember
« Reply #7263 on: 07/30/17 08:30PM »
Popped the boats cherry crossed to Catalina caught 3 Yellowtail then hooked up with a friend and crew n buddie boated home.
« Last Edit: 07/30/17 08:37PM by Rd Todd »
Bikers are good people!

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CBR600RR; '07 VFR800
  • Years Riding: 20+ Years
« Reply #7264 on: 07/30/17 09:11PM »
Nice action shot, Todd!

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: 07/30/17 09:21PM »
Well, I rode again.  Left at sunrise, did the Palomar Mountain/Ramona loop really fast.  Back home to the OC at 11 am!  Woohoo!  Avoided most of the northbound I-5 traffic so very little lane splitting involved on the ride back to the OC.

View of Lake Henshaw....again. 

From a different angle.

On the way back to the OC, some stunter on a CBR with spikes on his helmet got mad at me for going with the flow of traffic at 65 mph and occupying the right side of the fast lane, because he wanted to lane split at around 75!  I didn't even see the dickhead coming until he zipped by me so fast ON MY LEFT SIDE.  Then he raised his hand in a "WTF" gesture at me.  I gave him the Rossi Salute.  So I'm supposed to have The Force and know that he was coming up behind me so that I should have moved over for him!  Other than that the ride back was uneventful.  Ít didn't even get hot yet at 11 am. 

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #7266 on: 08/01/17 06:17PM »
On the way back to the OC, some stunter on a CBR with spikes on his helmet got mad at me for going with the flow of traffic at 65 mph and occupying the right side of the fast lane, because he wanted to lane split at around 75!  I didn't even see the dickhead coming until he zipped by me so fast ON MY LEFT SIDE.  Then he raised his hand in a "WTF" gesture at me.  I gave him the Rossi Salute.  So I'm supposed to have The Force and know that he was coming up behind me so that I should have moved over for him!  Other than that the ride back was uneventful.  Ít didn't even get hot yet at 11 am.
Um, it's called checking your six, you should get in the habit of doing it. You never know when you'll be in your work truck and back into someone's motorcycle!

Yes, that's my VFR! And yes, someone backed their work truck into it! Still very rideable and thankfully I had spare bits to restore some of the broken pieces.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #7267 on: 08/01/17 07:41PM »
Damn at least your were not on it at the time.  :4:
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: 08/02/17 05:33AM »
OOTV you can't check your six every second then you'll run into your 12! The stunter came up behind me without warning! I need to have a sixth sense to know something is coming at that high rate of speed. He should have either given me a chance to see him or don't split lanes at 65 doing 75+. The CHP guidelines put these for this reason.

I'm willing to bet that many lane splitting collisions occur due the speed difference between the splitting bike and other vehicles around them. Too much difference and vehicles never see you coming out from behind other vehicles. Hence the existence of the CHP guideline to not do it at speeds above 55 and to keep the speed difference under 10 mph.

Sorry about your bike dude. Work trucks need to check their six BEFORE backing up!
« Last Edit: 08/02/17 05:42AM by Rogue »

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: 08/06/17 03:35PM »
I went exploring the Main Divide Truck Trail in the Cleveland National Forest.  This trail is off of Ortega Highway.  Got up at sunrise, rode across Ortega to Lake Elsinore, then on the way back I turned onto Main Divide.  It was a very nice, smoothly paved 2-lane road at first, and it was very twisty.  Then it became a single lane road and was VERY tight.  It was barely wide enough for one vehicle and I was really worried some big ass pick up truck would come around a blind corner.  Sure enough, as I was coming out of a dirt trail (well it looked like a trail but it could have been a mountain bike trail...) there was a big berm and I couldn't see very well and SNAP!  A pick up truck was coming!  Scary moment!  Luckily the pick up was going really slow and was just as nervous as I was!  No harm no foul.

Nicely paved and twisty but single lane.  Looks wider than it was.  The pavement eventually ends and becomes dirt/gravel.

It was really strange to be so near the OC and yet so far from civilization.  It was so quiet up there, I could hear the Blue Jays!  The Southern California Chaparral Ecosystem in all its glory.

I stopped at a couple of view points.

I saw this thing, which I don't know what it was.  But it had a nice view off to its side.

On the way back to the OC there were lots of sportbikes and adventure bikes out and about.  Some were really moving, others not as fast.  There was a CHP unit hanging out on the long straights. 

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #7270 on: 08/06/17 04:03PM »
I went exploring the Main Divide Truck Trail in the Cleveland National Forest.  This trail is off of Ortega Highway.  Got up at sunrise, rode across Ortega to Lake Elsinore, then on the way back I turned onto Main Divide.  It was a very nice, smoothly paved 2-lane road at first, and it was very twisty.  Then it became a single lane road and was VERY tight.  It was barely wide enough for one vehicle and I was really worried some big ass pick up truck would come around a blind corner.  Sure enough, as I was coming out of a dirt trail (well it looked like a trail but it could have been a mountain bike trail...) there was a big berm and I couldn't see very well and SNAP!  A pick up truck was coming!  Scary moment!  Luckily the pick up was going really slow and was just as nervous as I was!  No harm no foul.

Nicely paved and twisty but single lane.  Looks wider than it was.  The pavement eventually ends and becomes dirt/gravel.

It was really strange to be so near the OC and yet so far from civilization.  It was so quiet up there, I could hear the Blue Jays!  The Southern California Chaparral Ecosystem in all its glory.

I stopped at a couple of view points.

I saw this thing, which I don't know what it was.  But it had a nice view off to its side.

On the way back to the OC there were lots of sportbikes and adventure bikes out and about.  Some were really moving, others not as fast.  There was a CHP unit hanging out on the long straights.
If that is the road that you would turn right when going towards the Lookout, then that's the road I dumped the Duc in a sandy corner. The road went from "iffy" to "off road" pretty quickly. Your DR would have done a lot better than the Duc, that's for sure. The road ends up in Fallbrook if I remember correctly.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: 08/06/17 04:15PM »
The road you took I believe was closer to The Look Out and Googlemaps refers to it as Forest Route 3SO4.  Go figure right?  But it eventually connects to the Main Divide Truck Trail.  But yeah, I wouldn't take a street bike even on the gravel turn outs because some of them were deep, soft gravel and not the hard packed type, and all of them were on steep grades!  And when there wasn't any gravel it was soft dirt with some ruts, and some were deep. I almost lost it turning around on one.  Thank goodness for Dual Sport boots and light weight bike!  I remember what you told me.  Not sure why those guys on VFR's even took that "road".  Wouldn't surprise me if those same guys are now on Adventure Bikes.  LOL!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 FZR600
« Reply #7272 on: 08/06/17 07:36PM »
Hey! You finally made it off road!!

How was the dirt on the Dr??
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Rogue

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Rogue's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: 08/07/17 05:37AM »
Nothing like your off road excursions. Dirt trails with gravel and some hard packed sand/dirt at low speeds so nothing hairy. I'll be honest, I still prefer pavement. LOL! Broken gravely pavement is ok too. The bike is fine on these types of surfaces. But I have no basis of comparison except my sportbikes. I do enjoy the quiet solitude of being the only vehicle out in these trails. So in a sense I enjoy the place more than the off road experience. More riding off pavement is required for me to really know.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 FZR600
« Reply #7274 on: 08/07/17 07:01AM »
That's about it, ha

I haven't been in a long time since the YZ blew the top end...so mostly pavement for me too. Can't beat a good smooth canyon carve
« Last Edit: 08/07/17 07:08AM by breakdirt916 »
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline FlyingScotsman

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FlyingScotsman's Gallery
  • Auto Club Speeway 29Aug
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 R1 Blue
  • Years Riding: 20 YEARS
« Reply #7275 on: 08/07/17 07:02AM »
Once upon a time I got to that road from Clinton Keith via Avenida La Cresta and Calle de Companero that connected me to South main divide. (me thinks).

Did I mention it was summer, I was on an R1 in full leathers? I was never so glad to see pavement.  :17:

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #7276 on: 08/12/17 06:59PM »
Installed a new exhaust on my new VFR. Not a huge fan of the taper, nor the length, but the sound is nice and it shows off that rear wheel. I think I'll keep the db killer in, for now.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UluR3-fi6_0?ecver=2" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UluR3-fi6_0?ecver=2</a>

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 57 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook