Topic: Ride Report: OC to Vancouver and Back.  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Asphalt Assault

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Asphalt Assault's Gallery
  • "Moto" you say?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Street Triple R, BMW F800S
  • Years Riding: 10'ish
Re: Ride Report: OC to Vancouver and Back.
« Reply #60 on: 07/16/10 04:49PM »
Great RR! My dad gave me the book above, completely sparked my interest many years go!
"Thank God for warm days, beautiful women and motorcycles".

Offline boredfast

• 998cc
  • boredfast's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1978 Yamaha SR500, 2008 CBR1000RR
« Reply #61 on: 07/16/10 06:30PM »
awesome adventure.. one day I'll do the same! (well, maybe a different route)

Clem Kevin

« Reply #62 on: 07/17/10 01:35AM »
If anyone has any questions about my route, I will gladly tell of which roads I would recommend and which I wouldn't if you wanted to try any of them

Offline Virge

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Virge's Gallery
  • Gimp to Eat
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Z1000 "Edie"
  • Years Riding: 8+
« Reply #63 on: 07/17/10 10:41AM »
Thanks for the updates Kevin! Looks like a fun time to be had!

Clem Kevin

« Reply #64 on: 07/21/10 12:29PM »
Day 14

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=portland&daddr=45.433154,-123.848877+to:reedsport&hl=en&geocode=FfyhtgIdERyw-CkndKl9CwuVVDGRhdH25rk2HA%3B%3BFUPYmgId9m6a-ClHbmWsucPDVDGIuOS1k5y3Bw&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&sll=45.061882,-123.327026&sspn=1.877948,3.532104&ie=UTF8&ll=44.824708,-123.112793&spn=3.771434,7.064209&t=h&z=7

After spending 3 days in Portland with friends, it was time to move on again. I really didn't do anything but eat ridiculous types and amounts of food while there. I should have brought my camera around, but I was in a constant food coma and my train of thought was very slowed down.

My first move out of Portland was to Tillamook. Highway 6 out there was pretty nice. Lots of high speed, long, sweeping corners. There wasn't too much traffic either. What traffic there was though, Oregonians really don't know how to pull off and let people by. Its very frustrating.

Anyways, I got to Tillamook and went straight to the cheese factory. I like cheese, plain and simple, so I knew it was my duty to go by and eat some free cheese. It was really cool to see the place, but unfortunately it seemed I showed up between shifts, most of the place was idle and not a whole lot was going on. I did see where they were compressing the cheese curds into 40lb+ blocks to be stored for aging.

After being aged the blocks would be sent to an adjacent room to be cut up. These guys were making sure to cut the cheese just right.

There were some cute girls working there too. I considered getting into the cheese cutting business.

The place was really cool, and if it was going full bore I'm sure it would have been more entertaining. You could easily spend a few hours there reading everything and watching all the videos. I was only there for 20 minutes though, and decided to get back on the road really quick.

I began my trek down the coast at this point, but it wasn't very enjoyable. There was SO much traffic. After a bit I made it to Newport and took a break on a very beautiful beach. The tide had gone out and left a very interesting landscape.

There was a ton of old, dried up driftwood along the beaches of Oregon. I really thought it was awesome.

It was really cold ALL morning, and when the sun finally came out I thought I would cry. It was so exciting that I took a picture of the cloud break.

Someone recommended that I check out the sand dunes along the coast. I considered overlooking it, but when I was coming down a hill and saw the beginning of the dunes, I wanted to go check them out.

At this point I had been riding a while so I took some time to take a break and get a little bored. I've learned something very valuable on this trip. Riding a sportbike 3500 miles is not comfortable, and I would do anything I possibly can to get off of it after an hour of riding.

All the way down the coast, there are bridges everywhere. I LOVE bridges. I think they are beautiful, works of art, and wonderful to drive through.

On my way into Coos Bay, I stopped to take a photo of the bridge into town. It is a magnificent bridge, very long, tall, just cool all around. I stopped next to this couple who were having a bit of ABS problems with their bike.

I gave them a cotter pin to jump the abs system, soaked in a view of the bridge, and went on into town.

Crossing over the bridge I was behind some more BMW's. There were BMW's EVERYWHERE returning from the rally in Oregon. It was nice to see them rather than the typical groups of harley's.

Coos Bay seems to be a pretty strong lumber town, there was a giant dock with mountains of woodchips in town.

Once I got into town, I finally got a hold of my host. He actually lived 25 miles north of where I was. I had to backtrack. After the day was so nice though, I didn't mind and was looking forward to another free place to sleep. I was staying with a college friend of my brother's, and since it was a sincere act of hospitality, I decided to show up with a gift.
« Last Edit: 07/21/10 12:34PM by Clem Kevin »

Clem Kevin

« Reply #65 on: 07/21/10 12:50PM »
Day 15

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Coos+Bay,+OR&daddr=Arcata,+ca&hl=en&geocode=FWW4lQId3pWY-CnhBGwcK4TDVDEpEsDdx_TXZw%3B&mra=ls&sll=43.366501,-124.21789&sspn=0.1208,0.220757&ie=UTF8&ll=42.342305,-123.398437&spn=3.930127,7.064209&t=h&z=7

I started the day out a bit more relaxed for a change in pace. My host, Brian, worked on the Smith River out of Reedsport trying to rejuvenate the salmon breeding in the river. He was working to get grants of various sizes so that he could try to get the river back into the condition it was in before the lumber industry came in and tore the river clean of any potential habitat in order to allow the lumber flow down the river to the port.

Brian's intention of showing me his job was also motivated by a ride in his sweet mobile. A chevrolet Corvair Monza. I had NO idea that these things were powered by an air cooled flat 6 engine. The thing sounded sweet, especially in second gear.

His office was 9 miles up the river in an old grange, it was a really cool hall for community events.

Behind his office there was a really old tree that had broken off at the top, and over time grew two new trees out of the top of it, it was really cool looking.

The river was littered with remnants of a long dead lumber industry. After so many jobs had moved out to asia, the industry really died in the area over the last few decades.

There were logs sticking out of the river, here, and many other places along the coast. Brian told me these logs were to tie off the lumber as it moved down the river.

There was so much nature back through the canyons the river ran through. Along with the nature though, my allergies were in full force and I could barely see or breathe the beauty out here.

There were some wild blackberries that were beginning to bloom. They were actually not native berries, but were from China. They were everywhere.

We found a group of vultures hanging out in the area, they were pretty big guys.

After a few hours it was time to get on the road. The sun had broken a bit early this day, and it was a very good omen. Unfortunately the omen did me no good. I got ANOTHER ticket this day. This one was twice as much as the first one. I wish I knew how to cry for pity....

Once I got all my angry yelling and frustration out inside my helmet, I was able to collect myself and begin taking photos again. I felt this sign was a good expression for how I felt, and where I belonged.

The wind on the coast today was REALLY strong. I began to realized that the Oregon coast was pretty straight and boring. I had read a magazine article about the coast before and they had completely glorified this area. I couldn't believe how absolutely boring the roads were, and how the views of the coast were completely lacking. When I would see the coast, I felt like the wind would blow me over.

There were still nice sights though. I would catch the waves here and there.

One thing that did make this straight, flat days better were the road stops. I appreciate them for the fact that they allow me to hop in front of all the traffic. I would rather have an open road and be late, than be in time and be stuck behind RV's and trucks towing campers. One girl holding the stop sign was quite attractive, when I told her to post she just laughed at me.

As the day went on, the number of BMW's continued to increase. I wasn't sure if it was a bmw meet, or an AARP convention. Where were all the young guys?

Really, I wish I could tell more about the Oregon coast but it brought nothing for me. I would catch intermittent views of the coast but nothing entirely inspiring. I would recommend most to take alternative routes if you're considering riding the Oregon coast and looking for something exciting.

Clem Kevin

« Reply #66 on: 07/21/10 01:18PM »
Day 16

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Arcata,+ca&daddr=CA-1+S%2FShoreline+Hwy+to:38.676933,-123.252869+to:Oakland,+ca&hl=en&geocode=FdWSbwIdaKWa-CkB6LlnDlfRVDGGh4Whj9eKfQ%3BFeb1XQIdDOme-A%3B%3BFVTZQAIdrUu2-CkD7aooi32FgDFnk3U11RW0cQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=10&via=1,2&sll=38.603993,-123.044128&sspn=0.519426,0.883026&ie=UTF8&ll=39.385264,-123.464355&spn=4.109501,7.064209&t=h&z=7

I had been looking forward to this day the entire trip. I knew the Norcal coast would be the most spectacular ride of the trip. I started the morning right with a big, heavy breakfast with the people I was staying with. I didn't take a photo of it AT breakfast, but here it is when I was eating the second half for lunch. A potato cake (mashed up potatoes) onions, LOTS of bacon, and a ton of cheese.

The sun came out pretty early on this day. The morning started out really cold, and within an hour I had to shed all of my layers, which became the act of the day.

My first stop of the day was Avenue of the Giants. This is where a road crosses through a forest of giant redwood trees. It was SO beautiful, and I would recommend it for anybody going down 101.

What was most impressive, were all the trees that had died and left behind their remnants. Massive trunks littering the forest floor.

The road went on for something like 30 miles through the forest, and you are nothing but a speck inside of this forest of giants.

It got cold in the forest and I added a layer. Not 30 minutes later when I reached the beginning of 1 south, I had to remove this layer. By the time I got onto highway 1, I had to add the layer again as I got closer to the coast. This was going to be ongoing today.

The northernmost point of highway 1 was the road I had been waiting for this entire trip. If I knew I wasn't going to be riding nearly 8 hours this day, I would have turned around and done it again. There were SO many corners that it felt like it would never end. They were tight, technical, slow, and simply fantastic. I would laughing, singing, and just enjoying the ride. It went on for something like 20 miles. I couldn't get a good photo because all of the corners were so consistent and close, that I couldn't capture what this road entailed.

I got to the coast and headed down to Fort Bragg. I stopped for some lunch and ate it on a bench on the coast.

The clouds lined the coast, but never went more than a couple thousand feet inland. It was like they just hugged the beaches there.

Eventually I made it to Stewart's Point. I had been on this road and knew of its pure awesomeness. The marker for where the road starts is this really cool little market on highway 1. The place has all kinds of cool products, and a good supply of rootbeer. Right next door is an old farm that is really a nice sight from the road.

The first half of this road is rough. It is an intermittent one lane road, and the asphalt is completely torn up. There are potholes everywhere, the asphalt is uneven everywhere, and there is gravel in the most inconvenient places. Regardless, the road provides a route to not only a very entertaining road, but it also provides beautiful sights along the creek and up into the hills.

I would have taken photos of the road, but the long, fast, consistent sweeping corners left me no room in my head to consider stopping to take a photo. These corners are so perfect, the asphalt is just right, the elevation changes are so fine, you just are in complete ecstasy while riding here. By the time you come out of the 47 mile road from the coast, you end up in a valley lined with vineyards.

I hit highway 101 and headed on down to Oakland where I will reside for several days with my best friend and company. Today couldn't have been any better. Awesome roads, good food, best friend, and I did my second longest riding day without too much pain.

Clem Kevin

« Reply #67 on: 07/29/10 12:20PM »
Day 19

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Berkeley,+CA&daddr=37.411619,-122.420654+to:santa+cruz&hl=en&geocode=FenfQQIdFUS2-CnTSYU6NnmFgDGT6XWmlRXqlA%3B%3BFSUuNAIdNPW5-ClJ1TZ8G0SOgDGF-dcqSxDKUg&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1&sll=37.42287,-122.090785&sspn=1.557406,2.688904&ie=UTF8&ll=37.468319,-122.417908&spn=1.556453,2.688904&t=h&z=9

I spent a few days in Oakland with my closest friend at this point. One night, over brussel sprouts and mac'n'cheese everybody decided to try on my helmet. All complained of a horrible smell (that I still have not noticed.) inside of the helmet. Maybe all my saliva from sneezing all the time?

They are all bikers, but in a different kind of way.

The sad part is, most of us in the group don't drink, yet the antics would completely go against any thought of an outsider seeing us.

As I left San Francisco after staying with another old friend, I hit up my new favorite place to eat in San Francisco. Golden Boy Pizza. Its on Green Street in North Beach just a block from Washington Park where Dirty Harry was filmed. The pizza here is just freakin awesome.

As I was heading out, I had to travel by Lombard street on my way towards HWY 1, and there was a mile long line just for tourists to drive down it. I started cutting through everybody and a local yells out "WHAT A BUNCH OF fluffing IDIOTS!" I got a good laugh. I think I preferred the steep backside of the hill more.

As I was heading out of town I saw two guys on an R1 and Ninja 500 with Manitoba plates. We chatted at the stop lights on the way out of town and I decided to befriend them.

After hearing a whole bunch of talk about lighthouses in Oregon and seeing none, I started seeing familiar lighthouses on the CA coast. This one was just outside of Davenport. (maybe not so close, I cant quite remember?)

I felt for the first time why it was a good idea to ride with people. You set an equal pace, and dont race on and get tickets and feel like a total jerk. We got into Santa Cruz and grabbed some mexican food and I wished them on. They were going to be at the GP as well, but they had grandstand seats and were planning to stay in them. They had ridden the same amount of miles I did on my trip, and they were still heading south. Much respect for the guys.

Clem Kevin

« Reply #68 on: 07/29/10 12:39PM »
Day 20

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Santa+Cruz,+CA&daddr=Barloy+Canyon+Rd+to:36.588517,-121.753922+to:CA-1+S%2FCabrillo+Hwy+to:San+Luis+Obispo&hl=en&geocode=FSUuNAIdNPW5-ClJ1TZ8G0SOgDGF-dcqSxDKUg%3BFSw0LwIdVoS--A%3B%3BFVR8IwId7NDC-A%3BFUBfGgIdYOHO-Cknwmx7vubsgDFGD-_OwpACvA&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=12&via=1,2,3&sll=36.583555,-121.719589&sspn=0.196839,0.336113&ie=UTF8&ll=36.160053,-121.574707&spn=3.166421,5.377808&t=h&z=8

I woke up to yet another depressing, foggy, and cold morning. This did not bode well for the race. On my way out of Santa Cruz there was a big sign on a bridge stating "MOTORCYCLE SPEED TRAP 20 MILES AHEAD, BEWARE" that was spraypaint on what looked like a bedsheet. Respect for the guys that took care of that. Sure enough, 20 miles ahead there were about 4 bike cops and 4 cruisers pulling people over and watching out for other speeders. Luckily, I didn't see any bikes pulled over. The north entrance of the track had been reserved as the bike entrance, and as I made my way from HWY1 towards the track, the road began to flood with motorcycles. By the time I hit the entrance road, from front to rear was a line of motorcycles out of sight. Simple awesome.

What was more awesome was the motorcycle parking section. I arrived there at 9am, several hours before the race. I can only imagine how full this lot got, because by the time I had left the bikes were in a steady line on the way out. I must have missed maximum capacity. I was also very lucky that an organization was doing baggage and gear check.

The track was definitely a sight to see on this day. There was SO MUCH to explore. I completely missed the Ducati tent, and I'm sure I missed others. Here is my favorite bike I found on display...

Bridgestone had a pretty cool camp set up with this really beautiful M-car. I'm a fan of the car itself, but all prettied up like this was awesome. They had a bike that everybody was crowding around and taking photos of. I assume it was the Desmodici Ducati. What is so special about it?

After about an hour or two of being at the track the skies cleared up. It was an absolute gorgeous day, and the temperature was perfect for a race. The crowds were really bubbling on the way up to the start of the race and there were good vibes all around (despite hearing rumors of a stabbing in the paddock the day before.)

I decided to watch the race from just above corner 2. I found it appropriate to watch from here at an ALMS race last year, and I didn't feel like hiking over the hill to the corkscrew only to not be able to see shit because of the massive crowds.

Everybody was cheering for Spies and Rossi more than anybody. I'm not a particular Rossi fan, but I was extremely pleased to see him place so well with the injuries he has. My respect for him continues to grow. I wish Spies would have placed a bit better, but he was still the fastest non-factory rider there, lots of respect for the guy.

About half way into the AMA race I decided to get out before the crowds started decided it all at the same time. I ran out of town and on down to HWY1 again. As soon as I left the track the clouds reappeared. Its like the racing gods were looking down on the valley that Laguna lays in this year. I love this section of road, and the sights are continually breathtaking, but I was pretty disappointed and my hopes of seeing a sunset on 1 were thrown away. Regardless, the sights impressed as always.

It was a good day. I must say though, I did enjoy the ALMS weekend at Laguna Seca much more than the MotoGP event. Maybe I'll be back, but more than anything I'm hoping for another Rolex series event at Laguna next year.

Clem Kevin

« Reply #69 on: 07/29/10 12:54PM »
Day 21

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=San+Luis+Obispo,+CA&daddr=34.820568,-119.465332+to:San+Clemente&hl=en&geocode=FUBfGgIdYOHO-Cknwmx7vubsgDFGD-_OwpACvA%3B%3BFR0O_gEdKGL9-CmfVilZW_TcgDG_e8wUSAUmOg&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&sll=34.887057,-119.547729&sspn=0.804307,1.344452&ie=UTF8&ll=34.307144,-118.987427&spn=3.23955,5.377808&t=h&z=8

This was my last day of the trip. The night before I found a couchsurfer who was a fellow rider. When he opened his garage for me to put my bike in I received a pleasant surprise. He had a Ducati ST4, BMW K100, and Yamaha R6. A respectable stable. He even left me in his apartment alone and went off to work a midnight shift. "make sure to lock up when you leave!" were his last words. My love for couch surfing grows with each experience.

It was another dismal morning. What happened to summer in California this year? I got home only to hear that there were minimal sunny days while I was gone. Regardless, I pushed on. I felt good today, that feeling of content at the end of a job well done began to embrace me. I made it down 101 to Santa Maria and hit HWY 166 inland. For some reason on the map this road looked good, and boy was it.

166 may have been long, and mostly straight, but the sights were the best of my entire trip. Rolling hills with trees spotted all over. Really, I could die happy in a place like that. Farms here and there, but not everywhere. There were very few towns on the way to 33, and even fewer people in these towns. Some places felt like they had been left behind in a state of apocalyptic terror.

I could have ridden this road all day. It was very pleasing. What made the day perfect though, was HWY 33. It started out through some farmland with a very straight, but still continually visually stimulating area. I decided to take a photo that I felt would make my mother uncomfortable (since she has been reading this.)

By this time the sun had come out and the weather was perfect. I couldn't have imagined the road to have been ANY better. It started out following a riverbed on the dry side of the mountain range here.

It began to reach up into an area that seemed to have been recently burned out. There was an amazing contrast between the green to the left, and the dry to the right.

As I reached up into the mountains, I looked back down onto the land and saw what I had just ridden through. Breath taking sights. What else could please a rider more?

What lay ahead was what could please a rider more. As I ran on through the corners at a steady pace (without much speed, due to an unfortunate amount of rocks on the road) I realized that there must not be a lot out here. There was not a single car in my way the entire 35 miles. I passed maybe 5 cars coming in the other direction. I reached the peak of the range and gleefully stopped to snap a photo.

The road was a combination of all my favorite local roads at home, but with the best conditions. I figure the rocks on the road were there only due to a lack of traffic to knock them out of the way. Most of the corners were steady and had good elevation change. I just wish they were marked a bit more, some of them surprised me. As the road wound down into the hills of Ventura County, the trees began to line the road and keep me cool in the heat of the day (what little heat there was.)

I really don't think I could have ended the trip on a better day. I wish I could say there was a best day, and this last day was it, but the experiences were so awesome, so wonderful, so great, that I couldn't say anything was best. I pulled into my driveway to have my neighbor come out like any other day and greet me. I was home again. I wish I liked being home though! I snapped my last photo of the trip, went inside, and took a good long nap.

Offline FlyingScotsman

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FlyingScotsman's Gallery
  • Auto Club Speeway 29Aug
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 R1 Blue
  • Years Riding: 20 YEARS
« Reply #70 on: 07/29/10 01:29PM »
great trip ! Welcome back   :42: :42: :42:

Offline 91NinjaZX6

• But you can call me D
  • 749cc
  • 91NinjaZX6's Gallery
  • Kamikazi Ryders
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1991 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
« Reply #71 on: 08/07/10 11:37PM »
wow what a rjde...that would have  beenn soooo good with some more people!  maybe next time ill join you......for bout half the way! lmao

ZzzoOOOooooooommmmmm

Clem Kevin

« Reply #72 on: 08/08/10 08:36AM »
While riding with others has its advantages, riding a trip like this alone is freakin awesome. You have so much time to get into your own mind, make your own decisions, and just feel free. Go do a trip by yourself through the seirras, i recommend it.

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 35 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook