Topic: Some Thoughts and Moving Forward  (Read 9033 times)

Offline Dane

• Sparky
  • Administrator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Dane's Gallery
  • a.k.a. A11214576266
    • View Profile
    • www.ocmoto.com
  • Bike: '07 R1, '02 YZ426
  • Years Riding: 12.04
Some Thoughts and Moving Forward
« on: 09/18/10 01:26PM »
Hi All,

Hopefully by now everyone has cooled off after yesterday's 'heated' discussions. There were clearly some disagreements between members and after speaking with many people I just wanted to make my position known.

First, we must establish that OC MOTO (this website, the community, everything we've done... past and present) is made possible by MANY people. And as such, a lot of people have a vested interest in OCM, and how it's used, etc. Really, anyone that has contributed time, money, any of their resources into this community has a vested interest to some extent. I've always had the stance that no person should benefit or be allowed to take advantage of the website in a way that couldn't be justified to others who have contributed. If people feel their generosity (volunteering time, etc.) was being taken advantage of, it would make sense that no one would continue to volunteer, and well if that were the case then none of us would be reading this, and none of us would have half the friendships we have today. That being said, I find it necessary that moving forward, anyone soliciting money for any cause should get approval first before it turns into a problem. Debating something after the fact is never as good compared to proper planning. I really feel that the execution of the fundraiser on Thursday could have been done in a way that would have avoided most of the conflict we all saw. For now, these types of events should be cleared by myself or a mod and we can discuss any potential issues, ways to make it better, etc.

Next, I've seen a lot of talk about "family" and taking care of our own recently. What I saw on Thursday/Friday were a lot of missed opportunities for people to make good on that. I saw a lot of divisiveness, people taking sides and becoming entrenched in their stance. Opposition to the fundraiser was voiced, and yes there might have been a lot of emotional strings attached to it, but at the end of the day I felt everyone took sides instead of hearing each other out. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when I think of "family" I think the major component is maintaining respect to your family member during disagreements. If you select who your family is, well I'm going to have to say that's a clique. Let us not lose sight of that.

One of the contributing factors to this recent sense of division is that those who have contributed, or want to contribute, all need to get on the same page. Old, new, shouldn't matter. Basically, if you are here in the best interest of this group, want to make things better, want to be constructive... well we want those like minded people to be on the same page as one team. I would recommend anyone who feels this describes them to check out a new thing we just started called the Advisory Board. I'm optimistic that this will be a set of people who will come together and solve problems and change things for the better. Of course if you just want to ride your motorcycle and check out the events that's cool too!

Have a good weekend everyone, and if you have any questions/concerns you can always email or PM me.

- Dane

Offline Andy

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Andy's Gallery
  • God created Ducati to train the faithful.
    • View Profile
    • Two Slow OC
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Years Riding: 9
Re: Some Thoughts and Moving Forward
« Reply #1 on: 09/18/10 02:37PM »
If you are here in the best interest of this group, want to make things better, want to be constructive... well we want those like minded people to be on the same page as one team. I would recommend anyone who feels this describes them to check out a new thing we just started called the Advisory Board. I'm optimistic that this will be a set of people who will come together and solve problems and change things for the better. Of course if you just want to ride your motorcycle and check out the events that's cool too!

Have a good weekend everyone, and if you have any questions/concerns you can always email or PM me.

- Dane

Quoted for people who skim.

Offline ZigZag

• Banned
  • 125cc
  • ZigZag's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ducati
  • Years Riding: 10 Years
« Reply #2 on: 09/18/10 04:22PM »
This is a strict forum with lots of rules...

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
  • Top Notch MotoSports,714-622-4352,714-650-1846
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
  • Bike: 1996 Harley-Davidson FatBoy, 2008 Honda CBR600RR, 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R
  • Years Riding: since 1998
« Reply #3 on: 09/18/10 04:43PM »
Well said Dane.
Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, be honest with yourself first, and the rest will follow!
 Top Notch MotoSports Voted #1 on OC HOTLIST!!!!

http://topnotchmotosport.com/Home_Page.php

Offline !Mid Cities!

« Reply #4 on: 09/18/10 04:59PM »
Well said.

Offline CBRunyan

• Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • CBRunyan's Gallery
  • AMA Member 1098565
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CBR1000RR
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #5 on: 09/18/10 05:03PM »
Thank you Dane. Well said and timed. See you at the NooB ride.

Gahawn

« Reply #6 on: 09/18/10 05:12PM »
With any luck we'll all just learn from the experience and ocmoto will be even stronger. Looking forward to that noobie ride. No matter what we can all agree that we love to ride and eat!

Thundercat

« Reply #7 on: 09/18/10 05:13PM »

And with good reason. You have no idea how intimidating a barely moderated forum with constant character attacks and inappropriate threads can be to new riders or new individuals looking to find a community to ride with. If we're ever going to change the public's view of motorcycling, we have to police each other.

On top of that, this is a forum used by industry professionals because of its merit and vast member base who are actively involved in the motorcycling community. To allow trolling or bickering about nondescript topics would be a quick way to lose those important individuals. This would result in an industry-wide defamed reputation. Hardly a stigma anyone wants to live with.

I think having strict rules on an internet forum is necessary and I'm very proud that OCM continues to uphold it's ideals with the same passion it's members display for riding. It's not easy to stick to your guns when not everyone agrees with you. It takes courage to stand alone. In that respect, OCM has allowed me to meet some very dedicated and persevering individuals. These people have changed who I am and how I look at life.

To allow typed anarchy to stain OCM's pages is the same as spraying graffiti on the Constitution, imo. Don't be the parasite inciting drama and superfluous debate. Be the rider looking to help other riders. Be the person who volunteers for events. Be the person who has something positive to contribute. If you're not willing to do any of those things, there are plenty of other places to go.

Ride easy.

Offline ChickenStrip

« Reply #8 on: 09/18/10 05:44PM »
Doesn't seem that "strict" to me. Just respect the other members, their views and opinions and all is well.

Offline Virge

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Virge's Gallery
  • Gimp to Eat
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Z1000 "Edie"
  • Years Riding: 8+
« Reply #9 on: 09/18/10 06:04PM »
Thanks Dane and +1 Thundercat.

Offline bkrochman

• 998cc
  • bkrochman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT - BMW R69 w/Ural S/C - Triumph Tiger - Kawasaki Versys - 73 Vespa 150 Super
  • Years Riding: Over 40 and not counting anymore
« Reply #10 on: 09/18/10 07:24PM »
I came here to meet new people to ride with. I have failed miserably because of my schedule, not for lack of riding opportunities. Whatever else is going on behind the scenes, I hope will not cause a disintegration of the community as a whole.

God speed everyone!

Offline Ducatista

• 599cc
  • Ducatista's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 Monster 696, 2009 HD Sportster 1200, 2011 CBR250R
  • Years Riding: since July '09
« Reply #11 on: 09/18/10 07:36PM »
Thank you for making your thoughts known and for establishing an advisory board (this is new, correct?) - looks like a really good idea to me. 

Ride on!
Still occasionally missing 2nd gear on the upshift...

Offline Andy

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Andy's Gallery
  • God created Ducati to train the faithful.
    • View Profile
    • Two Slow OC
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Years Riding: 9
« Reply #12 on: 09/18/10 07:38PM »
Doesn't seem that "strict" to me. Just respect the other members, their views and opinions and all is well.

QFE
this place is nothing compared to some other forums I read.  Sure, there are some things we're pretty strongly against, but otherwise it's pretty forgiving.  As 'Strip said, respect is key.  

If you want no rules, go frolic on 4chan.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
« Reply #13 on: 09/18/10 07:42PM »
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

chrisweir.com

« Reply #14 on: 09/18/10 10:57PM »
This merits another review.

http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

J~

Um, how about the "reader's digest version"? I read the whole thing last time you posted it but I think the skimmer in me might benefit more from some truncated points.

chrisweir.com

« Reply #15 on: 09/18/10 11:20PM »
Thanks Dane and +1 Thundercat.

x 1,000

kaoskustoms

« Reply #16 on: 09/19/10 08:53AM »
An advisory board?... sorta like FEMAs response to hurricane Katrina! We all know how well that worked!

Deadhand nailed it when he said this place is a popularity contest. Good on you Deadhand for getting pissed enough to tell it like it is.

After 4 years on this board I've come to the conclusion (like many who have moved on) that OCmoto is not for me. I guess 36 years of riding knowledge doesn't hold much water around here. Maybe I should have thrown some big BBQ's, or posted up videos of myself riding like a tool, or just been on the bro' tip. Sorry not me.

I think being called out by a female member who doesn't even own a motorcycle was the final straw. A majority of the people on this board use their motorcycles (those that have bikes) to travel from one party to the next.

I would like to say farewell to those I have met. I wish the best for the site and hope that it someday matures into a positive resource for the motorcycle community. until then...

Take care and keep the rubber side down.

Patrick

Offline VFR Jim

• OCM Sweeper
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • VFR Jim's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #17 on: 09/19/10 11:53AM »
An advisory board?... sorta like FEMAs response to hurricane Katrina! We all know how well that worked!

Deadhand nailed it when he said this place is a popularity contest. Good on you Deadhand for getting pissed enough to tell it like it is.

After 4 years on this board I've come to the conclusion (like many who have moved on) that OCmoto is not for me. I guess 36 years of riding knowledge doesn't hold much water around here. Maybe I should have thrown some big BBQ's, or posted up videos of myself riding like a tool, or just been on the bro' tip. Sorry not me.

I think being called out by a female member who doesn't even own a motorcycle was the final straw. A majority of the people on this board use their motorcycles (those that have bikes) to travel from one party to the next.

I would like to say farewell to those I have met. I wish the best for the site and hope that it someday matures into a positive resource for the motorcycle community. until then...

Take care and keep the rubber side down.

Patrick

Is FEMA perfect? Heck no.

But has it not improved its functioning TREMENDOUSLY since then, in light of the lessons it learned after Hurricane Katrina?  Absolutely!

I submit that OC Moto has that same opportunity.

Right here.  Right now.

And I for one am going to stick around to help turn this opportunity into reality.

Jim
« Last Edit: 09/19/10 12:55PM by VFR Jim »

deadhand

« Reply #18 on: 09/19/10 01:19PM »
+1 Jim!  Mistakes and problems are a part of life. What's most important is what we do after those  mistakes are made. As long as we never make the same mistakes, we will be improving. And we are filled with members who will strive to keep ocmoto on course with it's mission to build a safe community where safe riding skills, motorcycle awareness and friendships are fostered.

I encourage every one to use this thread as a way to mend damages done and to help us to keep growing together. If any one has greivances that have not been addressed or reconsiled, please PM me, Dane or any moderator to work to a resolution. 
I for one have learned from this and will apply it to the next opportunity I have.

Offline VFR Jim

• OCM Sweeper
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • VFR Jim's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #19 on: 09/19/10 01:36PM »

Thanks Jon! 

I agree, everyone makes mistakes, the key is that we acknowledge our mistakes and learn from them. 

Which means not repeating them.

Which is a great thing!   :32:

GO OC MOTO GO!

:42: :43: :44: :45: :46: :47: :48: :49: :50: :51:

« Last Edit: 09/19/10 09:18PM by VFR Jim »

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 56 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything