Topic: OFF ROAD RIDE ~ OCOTILLO WELLS Saturday 10/23/10  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Comp720

• I'm not always an assh*le... Just kidding go f*ck yourself.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02 Harley Road King, 2015 KTM 500EXC
  • Years Riding: 30
Re: OFF ROAD RIDE ~ OCOTILLO WELLS Saturday 10/23/10
« Reply #20 on: 10/22/10 12:33PM »
Dude you don't need coaches you just need to get out and ride.  come out and have fun if you don't feel cofortable going on the long rides we can go on short ones and just get you feeling comfortable.  a 125 is nothing to be scared of you will get the hang of it real quick.  You may not be real quick but you will have a lot of fun and it'll make you have a whole new love for bikes.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well-preserved piece. One should rather skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride"!!!

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06 R1, 05 BB Venom PRO-Street Chopper, 2010 KTM300 XC-W, 2011 KTM300 XC-W, 06 CRF450X (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 42 yrs dirt (play/race), 32 yrs street off/on
« Reply #21 on: 10/22/10 01:12PM »

Chai, Come on out, This is actually a very good place for you to get comfortable with your machine some...Coaching is a good idea but you need to be a little more comfortable with it first. As most classes that deal with MX or other types of training also assumes a certain base experience level. Tracks can be intimidating at times and especially on a pocket rocket like you have, 125's have a crazy power band as they tend to be more like a light switch flipping on and off. So the ride I have in mind will allow you to enjoy the suspension and get use to throttle control safely.

You will not hold us up, I leave no one behind, just my way...I may take off a bit out front time to time but I always pull over to make sure all is good behind me especially when dealing with any kind of road crossing or route change.

The first ride I was thinking of would be perfect for your skill level, it would only be a litte fast paced. Hell if you like for some of it I can throw you on my bike and I'll ride your 125 part of the way. For the most part the first ride is fairly flat with washes and soem smaller whoop sections. I can keep you away from the big climbs and rock crawls.

Seat time on your machine if the best cure for ya.

If you are concerned give me a shout to ask questions, number already in earlier posts...

COMP720, so what time do you think works good for you? Where do you want to meet, dez or Temecula? I'm thinking about doing Elsinore GP too this year, looking at schedule to figure out which day or both?

Doyle, Haven't heard much out of you, you still on? Same for you, meet place? Time?

I'm riding either way and just looking for some fun cruising around...I may take a couple hot laps here and there but otherwsie just looking for fun. Race is the following weekend so not looking to hurt myself.

DDave

Offline Comp720

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10/22/10 01:19PM »
HOw bout we meet in Temecula at 8:30 that puts my ass out of bed at about 6:30 I think
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well-preserved piece. One should rather skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride"!!!

« Reply #23 on: 10/22/10 02:42PM »
I know this is a silly request  :-[, but does DDave or Comp have a smaller bike like a Honda CR85 or equivalent I can borrow?  You can of course ride my new YZ125 in trade (give it hell  >:D).  It has 4.5 hours.  I am putting pride aside, & be honest to you  :-[.  I am 5'9" on a good day, but I can't overcome this mental barrier of a tall bike like my YZ125.  (the YZ comes with stock titanium rear spring & pegs, plus SSS front suspension, but of course none matters since I can't even ride it  :-[).

I have 4 track days (road) coming up in end of Nov, plus Oct 31 Fontana.

I shall partake in all these dirt rides you've generously offered to assist, perhaps early Nov or early Dec.

I am NOT giving up.

« Reply #24 on: 10/22/10 02:44PM »
D Dave I will call you later.

Offline Comp720

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10/22/10 03:08PM »
No i Don't have a smaller spare bike but I have a spare YZ250.  I'm 5'10 and my bike probably sits 3 inches higher than yours.  I'm sure you will be fine you just need to get over the fear. 

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06 R1, 05 BB Venom PRO-Street Chopper, 2010 KTM300 XC-W, 2011 KTM300 XC-W, 06 CRF450X (RIP)
« Reply #26 on: 10/22/10 03:14PM »

Chai, do give a shout later, I'm in the middle of work but nice thing is you don't have to be able to touch the ground in the desert...Only when you start or stop  :32:
Knowning you are getting use to the machine I'm not going to put you somewhere you can't handle...I'm rude, not mean.  :26: I truly think you would have a blast checking it out. My next play ride will be Oct. 30th for 1/2 a day in the same area we are hitting tomorrow. Then I leave that afternoon to drive farther south for a race on the 31st.

I'm the same height challenged, somewhere between 5'-8"/5'-9", I can't touch the ground with both feet on either my 450 of 300. I can barely touch both feet on my R1  :5:

You only need to be able to touch the ground when trail riding/climbing. For most part when riding if you were going into hard enough of a turn you are bringing the bike over and if you are hitting it hard enough you actually place your foot up towards your front fender and let her rip  :7:  Otherwise it is the flat track method and drag it for balance...

If you come out for a day trip tomorrow it will be a cheap day, all gas and a bite of lunch. And sorry the only smaller bike I have int he garage right now is a 250X and working on her to make her faster for my nephew. Your 125 will be good for you this trip nad best for you to get a little use to it, to losten you up I can throw you on the 300 if you like. My spare bike is a 450 that is basically Baja race ready so not a good one to learn on.

Do call me later...I'm starting to think you are pulling our legs just come on out to play.

COMP720 we'll lock in a time once I hear from Doyle...If I do not see him post I'll start making calls early evening...

Offline Comp720

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10/22/10 03:50PM »
Doyle said that he lost a family member a couple of days ago and may not be able to make it.  But he didn't say for sure one way or the other.  i'm gonna send you a text just so we have eachothers numbers on our phones

Offline Comp720

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10/22/10 03:53PM »
I have a feeling the drink is pulling our leg too.  He is probably going to show up and tear it up.

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10/22/10 05:15PM »
I have a feeling the drink is pulling our leg too.  He is probably going to show up and tear it up.

Sorry to hear about Doyle's loss...

As far as the Drink goes I'd welcome him to show up and tear it up, will make it all the more fun and some good laughes :29: ...But being on a buck n a qtr he could still have a tough time chasing the dust across open land if we really wanted to open them up.

Offline RIDNRED

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RIDNRED's Gallery
  • "Dont mistake action for accomplishment"
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Suzuki GSX-R600 / 07 CBR 600rr (totalled) / 03 Yamaha YZ250
« Reply #30 on: 10/22/10 05:25PM »
I know this is a silly request  :-[, but does DDave or Comp have a smaller bike like a Honda CR85 or equivalent I can borrow?  You can of course ride my new YZ125 in trade (give it hell  >:D).  It has 4.5 hours.  I am putting pride aside, & be honest to you  :-[.  I am 5'9" on a good day, but I can't overcome this mental barrier of a tall bike like my YZ125.  (the YZ comes with stock titanium rear spring & pegs, plus SSS front suspension, but of course none matters since I can't even ride it  :-[).

I have 4 track days (road) coming up in end of Nov, plus Oct 31 Fontana.

I shall partake in all these dirt rides you've generously offered to assist, perhaps early Nov or early Dec.

I am NOT giving up.

Drink ... its all in your head man .... its quite easy to ride a taller bike .. iam 5'8 maybe and ride a YZ250 you dont really need to worry bout your hieght on it cause your only putting your foot down when you stop and its easy to just balance your self on one leg ..  you bought it now ride it ! no way to learn but to get out there and do it

"Keepin it real since 78"

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10/22/10 08:24PM »

OK Guys, So let's meet a little later than original plans...How about meeting between 8:00 and 8:30am in Temecula off 79 South (Temecula Parkway) in the Ralph's parking lot. It is on the right or south side of the road at the corner of Temecula Parkway and Butterfield. To give you a little info it is 3 miles east of the 15 freeway. You know you are gettign close as you pass Home Depot on the left, Walmart on the righ and Ralphs is just after Best Buy on the right side.

My phone number is in the thread so give a shout anytime...I will hang out until 8:30am and that will put us in Ocotillo Wells by qtr til 10am.

Should be an awesome day out there...

Chai, I hope you decide to come on out...Danny see you in the AM, Doyle hope you are able to make it, offer to double up is stil lthere if you are able to come out. Sorry to hear about the family loss..

Anyone with questions give me a shout...I'm signing off now, back online maybe later.

Raplhs market (Temecula)
33145 Temecula Parkway
Temecula CA 92592

White Z71 w/ KTM in back of truck, bike has 16s race numbers on it.
DDave
« Last Edit: 10/22/10 11:30PM by DiamondDave »

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10/24/10 06:38PM »
Doyle, Dan and Ashley wazs great meeting you all Saturday, Hope you enjoyed the riding. The day was perfect for it...  :29: I'll post up a few of the pics I took on Monday.

Spent most of Sunday doing the Honey Do list and prep'n the bikes for next weekends play time and race.  :2:

Drinkchai, so what happened to you? Was hoping you would have jumped in with us, you would have had a GREAT time...Conditions were awesome, showed the group some cool things out there but we also kept the ride low key so all could just shake off the cob webs. I had a great laugh as I was the first and basically one of two that went down....I low sided while trying to hook up on a turn and the ground was so soft that it all just gave away...GOOD LAUGHS!!  :32: After that we went to Shelf Reef, hit some nice little climbs and jumps, then off to the Pumpkin Patch and looped back by way of Devil's Slide. Then we topped off and rode over towards the Gas Domes aka Arroyo Salado. Was a nice casual run... I'll be back out there for a while next Saturday before heading to the Superstitions on Sunday.

Have a GREAT week!!

DDave
« Last Edit: 10/24/10 06:51PM by DiamondDave »

Offline Comp720

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10/26/10 04:22PM »
Nice meeting all you guys too.  Where's the pics

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10/27/10 05:10PM »
Didn't get many pics since w were riding, next time I will wear a camera and we'll hit some of the other areas. I can design a really great 30-40 mile loop out there with some great terrain changes or just take you to some of the play ground areas that you saw. All depends on what you are looking for.

Also forgot to tell/show you there are showers out there for the folks that tent or truck camp. Always nice taking a shower before partying at night or once done ridding.

Have a GREAT week!!, And Holloween weekend!! I'll be back in Ocotillo Wells for some riding on Saturday then off to Superstitions for a race on Sunday. We'll see how it goes.

DDave

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
Just a couple more pics...

Offline DiamondDave

• 749cc
  • DiamondDave's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10/27/10 05:16PM »
couple more...

Offline Doyle Davison "Double D"

• Real Estate managing Broker asset mgr.
  • 749cc
  • Doyle Davison "Double D"'s Gallery
  • Doyle Davison
    • View Profile
    • Real Estate Consultant
  • Bike: 2007 R-1 GSXR-600 CBR-600RR crf250r wr450f UTV supercharged sport cat. jet skis
  • Years Riding: 30+
« Reply #37 on: 10/27/10 06:27PM »
more ocotillo pics... great time, great weather,,,, when its rainy out,,, nothing better than the desert riding...
DD

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 63 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything