Topic: Oil burning CBR1000RR  (Read 35151 times)

Offline Eric "The Army Guy"

• Bend the Corner! Never Try an Straighten it!!
  • 599cc
  • Eric "The Army Guy"'s Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CBR 1000RR
  • Years Riding: 20
Re: Oil burning CBR1000RR
« Reply #40 on: 10/14/10 11:25AM »
I have a 08 CBR 1000 and haven't experienced any problems with burning excessive oil.  I was actually getting worried because of the lack of oil burn off.  I have 1300 miles on the bike now, and I bought it brand new.  I got the first oil change about a week ago with 1000 miles on it.....before I took it in I checked the oil for dark coloration and level....oil seemed pretty clean and the level was topped off.  I use Huntingdon beach Honda, you might want to check them out. (they even cleaned my chain for free with the oil change)

You can't hit the asphalt and then not expect it to hit you back!
 I know this already....and I really am from Alabama!!

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
  • Top Notch MotoSports,714-622-4352,714-650-1846
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
  • Bike: 1996 Harley-Davidson FatBoy, 2008 Honda CBR600RR, 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R
  • Years Riding: since 1998
« Reply #41 on: 10/14/10 11:38AM »
A heaver oil weight will slow it down, also using standard oil rather than full synthetic oil will help consumption as well.

All 1000cc slightly burn oil, some worse then others. Just keep an eye on it, and you will be fine.
Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, be honest with yourself first, and the rest will follow!
 Top Notch MotoSports Voted #1 on OC HOTLIST!!!!

http://topnotchmotosport.com/Home_Page.php

Offline Hitman13

• aka Big Eng
  • 749cc
  • Hitman13's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2003 TL1000R & 1995 ZX11 Fighter (Current Project)
  • Years Riding: 5 yrs
« Reply #42 on: 10/14/10 01:13PM »
None of these bikes should be burning oil the way they are doing so...if you have an 08 cbr1000 you should check with class action suit...you may not be burning oil now but you may down the line with a few more miles on the bike so it wont hurt to check it out...good luck to all and I hope honda takes care of your bikes in a proper manner...
...its not how much horsepower you have but how much you are willing and skilled enough to use ??...

k

« Reply #43 on: 10/14/10 01:23PM »
Ok so here's the dealio... I stopped by OC Honda this morning and had them perform the clutch update and the cooling hose clamp recall.  While the recalls went smoothly they decided to add some character to my bike by putting some spider cracks in my right fairing.  I pointed it out to the service manager and he was so adamant to tell me that they were there from before the service (I have pictures of my bike from this morning before I took it into the dealer, and those cracks aren't there).  So that dealer manager will be getting a nasty letter in the mail very shortly.

When I brought up the oil burning issue to the OC Honda service manager he flat out told me he REFUSES to do anything about it because Honda simply didn't "pay him enough" to perform the warranty work on the issue.  He basically told me to complain to Honda about it (won't even give me their customer service number) or take it to another dealer who'll work on it.  In other words he doesn't want my business there ever again, which is fine by me considering the way I was treated and the scars they left me on my bike.

I took my bike down to Mission Motorsports and was greeted quickly and politely and they had opened a work order on the spot.  They told me that they have done 2 of these warranty jobs before and that Honda requires a certain test procedure be done before authorizing any warranty work for that particular issue.  They scheduled me to come in tomorrow morning so the test procedure could be done and they will contact Honda regarding authorization to do the work on my bike.  I felt so much better with the treatment I received from Mission Motorsports over OC Honda and they will definitely be getting my business in the future.  :)

Stay tuned for more when I go in tomorrow morning.

- K

Offline mr.raidermann

• mr.raidermann
  • 125cc
  • mr.raidermann's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: RVT1000R RC51 SP2
  • Years Riding: 8yrs.
« Reply #44 on: 10/14/10 01:45PM »
A heaver oil weight will slow it down, also using standard oil rather than full synthetic oil will help consumption as well.

All 1000cc slightly burn oil, some worse then others. Just keep an eye on it, and you will be fine.
  I have a 1000 and all my friends have 1000s, none of them use any oil. Nothing you can measure . I have 22,000 miles on my  rc51 no oil consumption whatsoever. We have used Mobil 1 and Royal Purple full synthetic. The heaver oil does slow down consumption.
"throttle stop or nothing"

Offline HBLADE08

• HBLADE08
  • 599cc
  • HBLADE08's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 HONDA CBR 1000RR FIREBLADE
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #45 on: 10/14/10 02:07PM »
bought my bike from mountain motorsports, took my bike in and a rep came out from honda. mountain motorsports said the rep checked the bike by turning the bike on and leaving it in neutral and reving the bike to a high level. after rev if thier is no acess smoke than you dont have a prolem. im not sure how that decribes anything but my bike burns oil, about a quart and a half every 500 miles. 

this is really disapointing from honda to say that this particular bike burns oil, but no previous honda 1000 burns oil. makes no sense. also my bike is just outside the year warranty and no extended warranty. 

some guys say that taking thier bike to mission motorsports and they got help from them. not being under warranty will they help me out???
what time is it...............game time whoop!!!!!!

Offline mr.raidermann

• mr.raidermann
  • 125cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10/14/10 02:16PM »
Sounds like my RX-8, I buy oil for it in gallon jugs. I would have to deal with that on a bike.

I'm looking at buying a 5 gallon jug of oil just so I don't have to keep running down to cyclegear each time I need to top off the bike.

Not so simple.  6-8 hours labor plus parts.  $1200-1500 total.  Not a repair an OEM wants to pay for.

They should've thought of that before selling consumers motorcycles with defective motors.

- K
 Yes ! I agree with you K they know they have a problem with the 08 RR !

Offline mr.raidermann

• mr.raidermann
  • 125cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10/14/10 02:21PM »
 :31: HBLADE08 call them and see what they can do for you ? Nobody will really be able to make that call but them! O0

Offline mr.raidermann

• mr.raidermann
  • 125cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10/14/10 02:26PM »
K   Please post up tomorrow , I would like to know what happen. I know HBLADE08 is very interested in what will go down.

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
« Reply #49 on: 10/14/10 04:52PM »
It has nothing to do with the "dealer" regarding warranty work of ANY kind! Everything must be approved by the manufacturer if its truly a manufacturer defect. If its an extended warranty issue, the warranty provider must be notified of the issue and must approve the work before the dealer can do the job. If you are out of warranty, unless it becomes a recall issue.... your pretty much out of luck!
Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, be honest with yourself first, and the rest will follow!

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
« Reply #50 on: 10/14/10 04:57PM »
Just to add.... It IS completely up to each individual dealer (as it is a franchise) weather they want to even perform such warranty repairs for you. they might say NO because the warranty provider will only pay X amount to do a job.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
« Reply #51 on: 10/14/10 04:59PM »
It has nothing to do with the "dealer" regarding warranty work of ANY kind! Everything must be approved by the manufacturer if its truly a manufacturer defect. If its an extended warranty issue, the warranty provider must be notified of the issue and must approve the work before the dealer can do the job. If you are out of warranty, unless it becomes a recall issue.... your pretty much out of luck!

And a recall is independant of a warantee. Those are performed no matter the warrantee status.
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline kePrez

• OWNER/SERVICE MGR.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • kePrez's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • TOP NOTCH MOTOSPORTS
« Reply #52 on: 10/14/10 05:05PM »
correct

Offline mr.raidermann

• mr.raidermann
  • 125cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10/16/10 03:20AM »
Thanks !keprez

k

« Reply #54 on: 10/16/10 04:04AM »
Just to be clear, the oil burning problem is NOT a recall issue.  Honda is deciding whether to take action on a case-by-case basis.

With that said, I dropped by the dealer Friday morning as they have asked me to and Nick the service guy informed me that someone dropped the ball and didn't bring the camera.  They had to reschedule to next Wednesday.  I'm a little irked as Mission Motorsports is not close to me and I had to wake up early and ride down only to find that they dropped the ball and want me to come in again another day...  :20:

- K

Offline knifun

• 749cc
  • knifun's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • The Parts Shoppe, Ceramic Bearings and More
  • Bike: HONDA CBR1000RR V-4
  • Years Riding: 50
« Reply #55 on: 10/16/10 07:33AM »
Ok so here's the dealio...

I took my bike down to Mission Motorsports and was greeted quickly and politely and they had opened a work order on the spot.  They told me that they have done 2 of these warranty jobs before and that Honda requires a certain test procedure be done before authorizing any warranty work for that particular issue.  They scheduled me to come in tomorrow morning so the test procedure could be done and they will contact Honda regarding authorization to do the work on my bike.  I felt so much better with the treatment I received from Mission Motorsports over OC Honda and they will definitely be getting my business in the future.  :)

WOW, Mission Motorsports lied. They also told me they had done 2 before, so mine (3 months ago) would have been #3.  2+1=3 last time I checked. Anyway, I had great luck at Mission Motorsports, the service writer was Phil - the Aussie guy. HE took great care and even though it took 1 week longer, I kept telling him that was OK, take as much time as you need, just make sure it is done right. They did a GREAT job (replaced the rings) and took care of all of the Honda mandatory requirements. They even did a few extra little things free of charge. GREAT customer service and a GREAT job. No scratches on anything and now, with 2,500 miles later, not a drop of oil consumed. All they said was that it was the rings and that they cant say exactly what was wrong with them. If you go to 1000rr.net, there is a gynormous amount of postings on the subject. I was lucky that the previous owner bought the extended warranty. Honda approved in 1 day and I took my bike in on the following. The bike was always locked up and the only downside, if you can call it that is that they had to drain the gas and forgot to fill it back up. When I finally got a chance to drive it home, I got onto the freeway (during rush hour) and worked my way over to the carpool lane, the 'out of gas' light came on. I worked my way over and got off at Alicia, made a right and stopped at the first gas station at the car wash. Sign said 'NO GAS', Went down the street, next station "No Gas". Driving on fumes, went further and finally found gas. I was starting to sweat thinking that I would have to push it back home. Good thing that it was only 12 miles to San Juan - would have been an easy push :-)

Take it to Mission Motorsports, they will treat you right and do a good job.

Offline mostly crue

• 599cc
  • mostly crue's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: All Junk
  • Years Riding: Not enough
« Reply #56 on: 10/17/10 01:17PM »
So a week ago I found out that my 08 CBR1000RR is burning oil at the rate of approx. 1.5 liters per 1000 miles.  After doing some research on the cbr1000rr.net forums I've come to find out that it's actually a pretty common/well-known issue with no permanent solutions.  Guys have had honda replace the piston rings to dropping in a whole new top end on the motor and still have this oil burning issue.  So my question to you gearheads is what could be done to slow down if not eliminate this oil burning issue completely?  Heavier oil? Forged pistons?

Your thoughts please.  :8:

- K

EDIT: Forgot to mention, under high load (on a dyno) it was spewing gray/dark smoke like no one's business.  Didn't seem to effect the power though, 147.4 hp on a bone stock bike.

K,
The condition is poor sealing of the rings. No magical pistons or thicker oil will fix this problem. Knifun will be your best help in this matter.
Honda will never announce publicly of a certain problem with their products. Don't believe everything you read in the forums! Remember
when dealing with warranties, document EVERYTHING! If this repair does not fix the problem, keep on them. Study up on the Lemon Laws in California. Never tell the dealer or manufacturer that you with threaten them with this. That will put a big stop to anything without lawyers.
Sorry you are going through this K, Good Luck.
Jeff.

k

« Reply #57 on: 11/03/10 12:50PM »
So I called Mission Motorsports to find the status of my claim with Honda, I get the same song and dance they've told countless other oil burning CBR customers "not enough oil is burnt".  Honda claims that burning 1L per 1000 miles is well within the acceptable range for a "superbike" and that my records (which indicate burning close to 1.5L per 1000 miles) is not enough to necessitate any warranty work.  So I asked Mission to email me the exact statement in writing for my own records. 

Any ideas on what route I should pursue now?  I've already joined the class-action lawsuit... however that doesn't seem to be progressing toward any settlement in the near future.

- K

chrisweir.com

« Reply #58 on: 11/03/10 12:54PM »
if it were me, I would go to another dealer, and tell them the whole story to date, and ask if they can help me.  Perhaps a more aggressive service manager may be able to get you some  satisfaction.

k

« Reply #59 on: 11/03/10 01:00PM »
if it were me, I would go to another dealer, and tell them the whole story to date, and ask if they can help me.  Perhaps a more aggressive service manager may be able to get you some  satisfaction.

I thought about that as well, but the hangup isn't really with the dealer it's with Honda Japan (they have to approve the claim before it's approved for warranty work).  There's not much an aggressive service manager can do when they're being stonewalled by the manufacturer/corporate.  I'm looking into contacting the FTC and seeing what possible recourse I have through them.

- K

Page created in 5.236 seconds with 58 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook