Topic: She better be batwoman or a ninja  (Read 8422 times)

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
Re: She better be batwoman or a ninja
« Reply #20 on: 10/21/10 10:22AM »
Unfortunately, the cartels are seen as Robin Hood like figures in the localities they come from, even though they litter the ground with the bodies of thier victims. That makes it even harder to control the violence. Add to it the fact that they have a huge portion of the police force either in thier pocket, or afraid to act, and you get what we have now.
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline Ninja Warrior

« Reply #21 on: 10/21/10 10:25AM »
She's a brave soul. I don't give her long before she's another victim of the drug cartels. The fact that she's a young woman puts her at risk for more than just murder (especially now that she's famous).

And yes, please vote YES on prop 19. Two of my close friends are police. One is a Long Beach Narcotics officer and the other is an Orange County gang detective. And they both are voting Yes on it. They both agree that legalization of Marijuana will take power and money out of the hands of mexican drug cartels. It's a good start.
Honorary Member of the "Born to be Mild" riders club.

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
« Reply #22 on: 10/21/10 10:41AM »
Did you read about the Fed saying that if it's legalized under prop 19, they will be MORE aggressive in enforcement? So much for "liberalism". Even my dad, a hard-core right-wing conservative slighty to the right of Newt Gingrich thinks it should be legalized and taxed
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

Offline Ninja Warrior

« Reply #23 on: 10/21/10 10:52AM »
Did you read about the Fed saying that if it's legalized under prop 19, they will be MORE aggressive in enforcement? So much for "liberalism". Even my dad, a hard-core right-wing conservative slighty to the right of Newt Gingrich thinks it should be legalized and taxed

The only people who I know that are really against prop 19 are the folks who grow and sell medical marijuana right now. Because they are making so much money off of it's limited decriminalization, they don't want it to become fully legal. They will lose big bucks. Pretty hypocritial, IMO.

Consider this--in the 1920's ALCOHOL was banned in America (during prohibition). There were people who fought tooth and nail against its legalization. Who, nowadays, would argue that alcohol should be banned?  It's the same thing. Someday, when it has been legal for decades, people will forget how it is now. Studies will show that marijuana isn't as bad as some people like to claim. And its uses are numerous.

Lastly, big pharmaceutical companies DO NOT want it legal. They stand to lose billions in revenue when people start trading in their prozac, vicodin, and ambien for a nightly toke on a bong. Trust me, marijuana can replace those three drugs if used responsibly.

Offline abearden

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • abearden's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08 CBR 600
  • Years Riding: 7, 80k mi
« Reply #24 on: 10/21/10 10:54AM »
Where did you read that? Everything I've read leans towards the feds standing down in most cases because it's not worth the effort. Funny, because they're talking about more enforcement for Montana and Tennessee in regards to their gun law changes.

Mike, there are plenty fighting to make alcohol illegal (Utah being a prime example).

Offline Ghost of Chimster

• Ducatis are like cigarettes...you might quit for a while, but you eventually pick one up again!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Ghost of Chimster's Gallery
  • I'm just a Ghost of my former self w/o 2 wheels...
    • View Profile
    • Next place on my bucket list...
  • Bike: 1999 Ducati Supersport 900 (Total Loss...*sob*)
  • Years Riding: Since 2008
« Reply #25 on: 10/21/10 10:58AM »
idealism and bravery are for the young

Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.  - Winston Churchill
« Last Edit: 10/21/10 11:09AM by Ghost of Chimster »
"You've done nothing for which you should be ashamed."

"I've done nothing, and for that I AM ashamed."

-Dialogue between Aunt Charlotte and Benjamin "The Ghost" Martin from "The Patriot."

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
« Reply #26 on: 10/21/10 11:11AM »
Where did you read that? Everything I've read leans towards the feds standing down in most cases because it's not worth the effort. Funny, because they're talking about more enforcement for Montana and Tennessee in regards to their gun law changes.

Mike, there are plenty fighting to make alcohol illegal (Utah being a prime example).

Here - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/15/eric-holder-to-prosecute-_n_764153.html

As to alcohol...  A look at the stats about what happens when people abuse it might make a re-think necessary.

Again, kudos to the young lady for stepping up.

Be well,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Ninja Warrior

« Reply #27 on: 10/21/10 11:34AM »

Again, kudos to the young lady for stepping up.

Be well,

J~

True. Hopefully she stays safe and makes a difference!

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10/21/10 11:51AM »

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/16/local/la-me-marijuana-holder-20101016

Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.  - Winston Churchill

That's going in my sig!
« Last Edit: 10/21/10 11:56AM by njineermike »

Offline Ghost of Chimster

• Ducatis are like cigarettes...you might quit for a while, but you eventually pick one up again!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Ghost of Chimster's Gallery
  • I'm just a Ghost of my former self w/o 2 wheels...
    • View Profile
    • Next place on my bucket list...
  • Bike: 1999 Ducati Supersport 900 (Total Loss...*sob*)
  • Years Riding: Since 2008
« Reply #29 on: 10/21/10 03:04PM »
Kinda makes you wish he were alive today....  =)

That's going in my sig!
"You've done nothing for which you should be ashamed."

"I've done nothing, and for that I AM ashamed."

-Dialogue between Aunt Charlotte and Benjamin "The Ghost" Martin from "The Patriot."

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10/21/10 03:11PM »

That's going in my sig!

If he were alive today they'd call him a racist xenophobe.

Offline abearden

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • abearden's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08 CBR 600
  • Years Riding: 7, 80k mi
« Reply #31 on: 10/21/10 03:12PM »

That's going in my sig!

If he were alive today they'd call him a racist xenophobe.
Behind his back anyway.

Offline greenagain

« Reply #32 on: 10/21/10 03:23PM »

I don't think the Feds have the manpower or money to chase every pot smoker, and multitude of new growers that will start here.

Offline BroChaos

• inmate 0805343847
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • BroChaos's Gallery
  • Go Blue!
    • View Profile
    • Me
  • Bike: 2007 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 2
« Reply #33 on: 10/21/10 03:35PM »
when i was looking for a place to go camping, i came across a news article where 2 people where just hiking and stumbled upon a farm, i think it was in kern county, and were attacked by some drug gang members who shot at them with shotguns.  how f'd up is that where you can't even go hiking and enjoy our natural resources without fear of coming across these guys...

I think a study has already been done that shows that since we legalized medicinal use here in California, a lot of in-state consumption is of domestic product that is produced here. That is, we're growing and using our own weed. And that's great, but what that means is that the supply/demand is now out of whack for the other states. So that's why you have the drug cartels going crazy trying to unload their excess supply outside of California.

Sadly I've also read that the Mex Cartels are doing plenty of growing way out in our State and National parks, wreaking havoc and doing plenty of damage to the lands.
that's crescent fresh...
still down here dancing with the GrooGrux King...
if you think loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride could do...

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10/21/10 04:00PM »

I don't think the Feds have the manpower or money to chase every pot smoker, and multitude of new growers that will start here.

They might not, but since there ARE local officials who violently oppose legalization, (like San Diego County) they will assist in any way they feel is appropriate. San Diego County has been raiding cooperatives after sending in police with fake cards who bought weed. They had official looking cards, and the sellers followed what they knew to be the letter of the law, but the SD county prosecutors office STILL busted the operators because they sold pot to someone without a valid card (the local offense), and alerted the DEA to be in on the bust for selling controlled subsatnces as well (the Federal offense).

Face it. Even if the state decriminalizes it (it's still not technically going to be "legal") there will be a faction of the state's law enforcement officials who will use the Fed to fight it, and a Federal drug offense is WAY worse than a state offense.

HBguy

« Reply #35 on: 10/21/10 04:02PM »
She's on one side or the other if she was planted there.  The problem isn't "the cartels", its the enemy of the side she's on.

Weed legalized wont impact the illegal trade much in the short term, but in the long term it'll destroy the sub-culture which is at the heart of the drug "problem".  But more importantly, it'll make California a destination from other states, bringing in endless tourist dollars (help replace all the production dollars we're bleeding), just like Nevada except the distribution of tourist-dollars will be throughout, and not just to corporations.

Offline Ninja Warrior

« Reply #36 on: 10/21/10 04:41PM »
I see prop 19 like this: It is the first card in a house of cards to fall. Once it's legal in California, a considerable amount of tax money will be made by the cities, state, and federally (through income tax on marijuana related businesses). Once the lawmakers in California are making all this money, helping (no completely) to ease the debt and balance the budget, they will fight against the feds to keep the money rolling in. Hell, Long Beach has something already on the ballot for November 2nd called MEASURE B. It is in anticipation of Prop 19 passing, a city tax of 25% on any marijuana related business in Long Beach. I'm voting against it. So you see, city officials are already hoping prop 19 passes so they have this extra income to help solve their problems. I've heard (on KFI, don't know how true it is) the state has already set aside land they are planning to let businesses use for marijuana cultivation in the event prop 19 passes.

My point is, once money begins rolling in, other lawmakers in other states will realize this could be a way to help bail them out of their financial messes. Money talks. On top of all that, no more petty arrests of marijuana related crimes. No more dollars spent jailing these people.

This is all just speculation on my part. A man can dream, can't he?

Offline Jet (aka Jbao)

« Reply #37 on: 10/21/10 04:43PM »
they better give this girl more than a stick to ward off baddies with.

girl looks like she's in high school.

HBguy

« Reply #38 on: 10/21/10 06:01PM »
I see prop 19 like this: It is the first card in a house of cards to fall. Once it's legal in California, a considerable amount of tax money will be made by the cities, state, and federally (through income tax on marijuana related businesses). Once the lawmakers in California are making all this money, helping (no completely) to ease the debt and balance the budget, they will fight against the feds to keep the money rolling in. Hell, Long Beach has something already on the ballot for November 2nd called MEASURE B. It is in anticipation of Prop 19 passing, a city tax of 25% on any marijuana related business in Long Beach. I'm voting against it. So you see, city officials are already hoping prop 19 passes so they have this extra income to help solve their problems. I've heard (on KFI, don't know how true it is) the state has already set aside land they are planning to let businesses use for marijuana cultivation in the event prop 19 passes.

My point is, once money begins rolling in, other lawmakers in other states will realize this could be a way to help bail them out of their financial messes. Money talks. On top of all that, no more petty arrests of marijuana related crimes. No more dollars spent jailing these people.

This is all just speculation on my part. A man can dream, can't he?
It's a good dream but you bring up a good point...if every branch of the government (Fed, State, County, City, EPA, FDA, Health Dept, DMV, Dog Pound, ect) tries to tax this, the street value must still be absurdly cheaper than retail.  This is the only backfall that I can see.  All drugs cost 1% or less of their street value to manufacturer.  If they want to legalize any one of them (I support them all be legalized and deal with Darwins Law for a year to eradicate the problem) they must not only keep the cost lower than current street values, but keep them lower.

Hmm...I wonder how much of the cost of a cigarette is taxation?  [/rhetorical] 

Offline Ghetto_D

• Professional Good For Nothing.
  • 749cc
  • Ghetto_D's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2003 CBR 600RR
  • Years Riding: 3
« Reply #39 on: 10/21/10 06:52PM »
Just saw the report on abc news. Apparently she along with the other town police officers carry no guns.

She's as good as dead...

If she gets killed it might create a backlash against the cartels.

I saw a report the other day on spanish news network about a kidnapping ring that got caught in the act by regular citizens. They got rounded up tied to poles and were beaten, stoned and had their feet burned untill they gave up their names and who their bosses were. The police finally took them into custody. Usually kidnappers pay off the police to be let go or look the other way.

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 65 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook