Topic: Storage unit  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Shawn3210

Storage unit
« on: 03/02/11 07:58PM »
Currently I keep my brand new r6 20 miles away at a friend's house. However, it's a pita to ride whenever I please so I'm thinking about getting a storage unit closer to my house. I called a place called ustore and was quote 64 a month with no contract. They are open from 6am to 10pm which would be perfect. I'm just looking for second opinions with storage units you guys have previously used.

Offline Shawn3210

Re: Storage unit
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/11 08:09PM »
Also, what do you guys think....a 5x5 unit?

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/11 08:19PM »
Will your R6 fit in a room 5 x 5?

Offline homegrownazzhat

• 998cc
  • homegrownazzhat's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 engined 2001 sv650s w/gsxr front end & 636 rear shock
  • Years Riding: 6
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/11 08:34PM »
Will your R6 fit in a room 5 x 5?

You need a minimum of 6.5' depth, maybe more depending on if you have stock fender and if using pit stands. Thats if straight in. If putting in at and angle, well that is about 7' for a 5 x 5.
« Last Edit: 03/02/11 08:36PM by homegrownazzhat »

Offline Ride Moar!

• 749cc
  • Ride Moar!'s Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08Honda CBR1000rr, 09 YamahaFZ1
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/11 08:49PM »
I'm curious about this idea too.  Anyone ever use a storage unit for storing a bike?  Are they pretty safe?  I'm thinking they must be safer than if I lived in an apartment complex that only had carports to park my bike in.

Offline Shawn3210

« Reply #5 on: 03/02/11 08:54PM »
Yeah I called ustore it and they recommend a 5x6 or some sort. 66 bucks ain't bad. I was thinking about leaving it outside for free and getting a cover for it but it would be nice to know my new bike isn't out for anyone to take it.

Offline abearden

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • abearden's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08 CBR 600
  • Years Riding: 7, 80k mi
« Reply #6 on: 03/02/11 09:41PM »
Check two things:

-Rules. Many storage places don't allow anything with a motor to be stored in the garages. You don't want to store your bike out in the parking spots.
-Access. Drive-up required.

Offline FlyingScotsman

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FlyingScotsman's Gallery
  • Auto Club Speeway 29Aug
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 R1 Blue
  • Years Riding: 20 YEARS
« Reply #7 on: 03/02/11 09:49PM »
Check two things:

-Rules. Many storage places don't allow anything with a motor to be stored in the garages. You don't want to store your bike out in the parking spots.
-Access. Drive-up required.
Storage spaces probably won't let you store a motorbike in the unit. Gasoline vapors for starters with no outside venting means a big kaboom at some point. Not to mention they'd have to post the cancer warning signs all over the place. Just sayin

Offline The Guamaniac

• 998cc
  • The Guamaniac's Gallery
  • It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2003 SV650S
  • Years Riding: 3
« Reply #8 on: 03/02/11 10:05PM »
The manager at the storage facility that my last company used told me that a bunch of their clients stored their bikes during the week and would park their cars and ride their bikes on the weekends. Also, most storage facilities do not offer insurance, so if your bike is stolen, you will be filing the claim with your insurance company. This includes damages from leaky units. Be sure to carefully inspect the unit before agreeing to sign the contract.
« Last Edit: 03/02/11 10:09PM by The Guamaniac »

Offline scubawoman13

« Reply #9 on: 03/02/11 11:24PM »
I began renting a 5 by 10 storage unit when I bought my Yamaha FZ6R.  Before signing the paperwork, I let them know that I'd be storing my motorcycle and was told that I could store it but was asked to keep as little gas in the tank as possible when I returned it to the unit.  

What I like about my storage facility is:

1.  I pass it on my way home from work so if I want to ride before going home its not out of the way.

2.  There are plenty of parking spaces to leave my car while I ride and the parking lot has good lighting which makes me feel safer when I walk back to my car if I get back after dark.

3. The storage facility has mad security (surveillance all over and alarms in each unit).

4. The unit is big enough to fit my motorcycle and a small closet that stores all of my gear.

5. I have access to my unit 24/7.  

Even though I keep my bike inside a unit, I still cover it because I have a ground floor unit and dirt seems to find it way in.  Overall, I'm really happy with my choice.  

Offline Shawn3210

« Reply #10 on: 03/04/11 09:18PM »
Where's your unit at scuba?

I'm going to check out some units on sunday and see what happens. I have a friend that would let me leave my bike in his backyard but I don't want to inconvenience someone... though it's free lol.

Offline GoSuzGo

• 749cc
  • GoSuzGo's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
  • Years Riding: 2 years
« Reply #11 on: 03/04/11 09:38PM »
Storage spaces probably won't let you store a motorbike in the unit. Gasoline vapors for starters with no outside venting means a big kaboom at some point. Not to mention they'd have to post the cancer warning signs all over the place. Just sayin

I kept my bike in a storage unit for a month while I was moving between homes. I thought the gas would be problem, but the indoor storage facility was completely OK with it. My unit was on the third floor, I would have to push it to/from my unit and the freight elevator to get in/out. This particular facility had a lot of security too, code to get in the gate, your own padlock on steel door and security cameras everywhere with staff monitoring cameras at the front desk.

Offline scubawoman13

« Reply #12 on: 03/04/11 10:20PM »
Where's your unit at scuba?

I'm going to check out some units on sunday and see what happens. I have a friend that would let me leave my bike in his backyard but I don't want to inconvenience someone... though it's free lol.

My unit is probably too far for you.  It's in Valencia, a few minutes from Magic Mountain.  Gosuzgo's storage sounds similar to mine and probably a lot closer to you!

I know that leaving your bike in your friends backyard may sound good since you won't find anything cheaper than free but I dont think its prudent as your friend and/or your friend's buddies may tamper/play/drop your bike!   
« Last Edit: 03/04/11 10:22PM by scubawoman13 »

Offline Duchess of Moto

« Reply #13 on: 03/04/11 10:38PM »
I agree with Scubawoman!!!!  :)  LOL
Duchess of Moto!

Offline mikeK6Gsxr600

« Reply #14 on: 03/05/11 01:18AM »
i would hate to pay storage fee......its like throwing money away every month.

f-that
Signature removed due to excessive size. Max size is 200px

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 59 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook