Topic: On Medical Marijuana and the Roads  (Read 2051 times)

jailZinstDeth

On Medical Marijuana and the Roads
« on: 07/31/11 01:56AM »
Driving or riding sober I believe is best.  But check this out:

After the passing of Proposition 215, California is ever closer to making Cannabis fully legal.  That could mean that more people will be out on the roads under the influence of marijuana.  Already accessibility to medical marijuana is highly lenient in this state.  Really, anyone over 18 with a hundred bucks can get a weed card.  There already are plenty of drivers/riders under the influence of marijuana out there now.  However, one study* indicates that marijuana doesn't necessarily compromise one's ability to drive/ride.  My question may seem obvious to some, but debatable to others:  Is it certain that marijuana will impair one's ability to drive/ride as alcohol would

(*This is not BS...the study was done by an individual driving on three different occasions: once sober, once drunk, and once stoned.  His skills suffered the most when drunk, but were unaffected by marijuana.  The study was performed in an enclosed space with varying obstacles, much like any skills course.  In fact, he drove safest while on marijuana...even safer than when he was sober!  Obviously one study done by one person doesn't support a solid conclusion to the issue.)

Offline Bogus

• 599cc
  • Bogus's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
  • Years Riding: 2
Re: On Medical Marijuana and the Roads
« Reply #1 on: 07/31/11 03:52AM »
"Safer" in a closed test environment doesn't necessarily translate to safer on the road.  In a safety test, you might get bonus points for driving under a certain speed while remaining hyperfocused on a singular task.

To directly answer the question, it would certainly impair one's ability to drive, although possibly not in exactly the same ways as alcohol.  Decreased awareness of the world around you (or an inability to pay attention to it) and delayed reaction time are reasons enough to not smoke and ride.  Plus, you might find yourself a victim of target fixation (;D) Target Fixation - Operation: Oreo Truck.

Sometimes life seems like the punchline to a cosmic joke, but at least the Universe has a sense of humor.

Offline kosherbakin

• 599cc
  • kosherbakin's Gallery
  • "Fat guy on a little bike."
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Yamaha R-6
  • Years Riding: 3
« Reply #2 on: 07/31/11 05:30AM »
Well don't get all AA on me but i smoke alllll the time.... I like to ride alot and far. I have really bad knees and ankles i get cramped up during a long ride. I do the usuall, Ibuprfen, streching before the ride and eat and really ballanced meal before i ride. but i deffenetly smoke before and during the ride, some of you folks have rolled there eyes at me and whitnessed, i don't care it make me more comfortable during my ride. My Doctor gave me a prescription for Vicoden. I don't take them they make me sick and jittery not good for riding.

I smoke so much i don't get very high it's just used as a analgesic. I'm not one of those sit on the couch living at mom house ether. I have a Professinal job, take care of myself and don't have the need to experimant with any harder drugs.

My 2 cents thanks for listning,
Greg

Offline SoCalMellow

• 599cc
  • SoCalMellow's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 CBR250R
  • Years Riding: May 7th 2011
« Reply #3 on: 07/31/11 05:42AM »
hey kosher,you state that you dont get very high when you smoke,and thats probably due to the amount of THC already in your body from smoking so much,say you did get very high,do you think it would have an affect on your riding/driving skills?

people tend to experience marijuana differently.not too long ago i got free gifts from the medical shops and i ate a grape gummybear which was huge and had 2grams of hash,and then i ate a "chocolate shot".took a while to kick in,was at walgreens and out of no where it hit me hard,and i let my friend drive us home,i highly doubt i would have been able to drive.i was pretty much high on a high level for a few hours and my stomach burning,no bueno! lmao.
« Last Edit: 07/31/11 07:10AM by SoCalMellow »

Offline kosherbakin

• 599cc
  • kosherbakin's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/31/11 06:15AM »
hey kosher,you state that you dont get very high when you smoke,and that probably due to the amount of THC already in your body from smoking so much,say you did get very high,do you think it would have an affect on your riding/driving skills?

people tend to experience marijuana in differently.not too long ago i got free gifts from the medical shops and i ate a grape gummybear which was huge and had 2grams of hash,and then i hate a "chocolate shot".took a while to kick in,was at walgreens and out of no where it hit me hard,and i let my friend drive us home,i highly doubt i would have been able to drive.i was pretty much high on a high level for a few hours and my stomach burning,no bueno! lmao.
I do agree... when i eat it i get f&c(ed up. no i cannot operate my bike well when i have had one of those chocolate bars.
I work with animals and more and more latley they have been comming in because there stupid owners leave all of those medical edibles all over the house. I have seen multiple dogs seizure from it. Yea eating it messes with you alot different than smoking it. No bueno!

http://youtu.be/VZfEPqPpYOc
« Last Edit: 07/31/11 06:17AM by kosherbakin »

Offline robtheman

• 998cc
  • robtheman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
  • Years Riding: 30 off and on
« Reply #5 on: 07/31/11 06:58AM »
My only thought is that study listed above does not sound very sceintific and would not be considered good research. On the general topic riding requires your full attention to be safe and any substance that influences awareness is risky. Even if you argue that certain drugs improve situational awareness that would only bring on false confidence and possibly poor decisions in the moment. Remember the MSF class said ride sober, rested, not distracted for the best chance of making it home.

Offline kosherbakin

• 599cc
  • kosherbakin's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/31/11 07:29AM »
My only thought is that study listed above does not sound very sceintific and would not be considered good research. On the general topic riding requires your full attention to be safe and any substance that influences awareness is risky. Even if you argue that certain drugs improve situational awareness that would only bring on false confidence and possibly poor decisions in the moment. Remember the MSF class said ride sober, rested, not distracted for the best chance of making it home.
and stay away from Westminster... lol... j/k  that is not a study that is me borred at work with a video camara (sober).

SofaKing

« Reply #7 on: 07/31/11 07:29AM »
Coming from the industry and knowing many LEOs, do not rely on your doctors recommendation. Do yourself a huge favor and get a state card (sb420).

Offline SoCalMellow

• 599cc
  • SoCalMellow's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 CBR250R
  • Years Riding: May 7th 2011
« Reply #8 on: 07/31/11 08:23AM »
dnt you have to put all kinds of info when you pply for your state card

SofaKing

« Reply #9 on: 07/31/11 08:58AM »
dnt you have to put all kinds of info when you pply for your state card

Do to my profession I had to, but.. your information is available to them either way, as many verification clinics are getting raided for their paperwork.

If it's the difference of staying in or out of jail until things get ironed out, they can have my info. I'm confident that big brother has all of our info anyways.

Offline *StarChild*

• 749cc
  • *StarChild*'s Gallery
  • I love the Twins!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02 Suzuki Tl 1000R, 99 Harley Road Glide
  • Years Riding: 3 years
« Reply #10 on: 07/31/11 11:33AM »
Coming from the industry and knowing many LEOs, do not rely on your doctors recommendation. Do yourself a huge favor and get a state card (sb420).

I too have my recommendation & state card. The state card is like your golden ticket. State LEO's, supposedly by law, do not have the authority to bust you if you have a state med card. Now, not too say it plays out like that, but only the feds are capable of busting you if you javelin a state card. Unless you are using it for purposes that's would be considered illegal. Saying that, theres never really anytime im too stoned too drive or ride. I've been smoking for so long, it doesn't really effect or impair me in ways like that anymore.

jailzinstdeth

« Reply #11 on: 07/31/11 03:13PM »
This is an interesting discussion. 

Some people may be suspicious of people who ingest THC often enough to "not feel it" and can drive/ride normally.  What about those who drink alcohol regularly and have a high tolerance.  Could the same be said of them?

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #12 on: 07/31/11 11:59PM »
I know both people that retain all their motor skills very well after smoking then I also know the mushy baked out of their mind kind whether they smoke a lot or a little they are the same way. There is no formula that will be ok by every person so it has to be treated on a case by case basis. I say if you've been smoking and are recklessly driving then give that person a DUI, but if a person can obviously keep their vehicle in control and such then they wouldn't be pulled over in the first place. You will never stop people from driving under the influence, just look at alcohol. People will do it no matter what, the thing is though make sure there is consequences if they are caught doing such.
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline calamari

• Devil's Advocate
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • calamari's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 KLR650
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #13 on: 08/01/11 09:05AM »
I think we (smokers) all agree it impairs different people in different ways. That being said, the laws are designed for the worst case scenerios, then applied to all. I know I can have two drinks on an empty stomach and still be able to operate a vehicle just fine, but the 110lb girl next to me.. not so much. Same goes with smoking, if i take 5 bong rips, chances are I wont even want to get off my ass. But a quick burn before a little jont through the canyon does more to keep my speeds down than it does to make me fixate on a oreo truck.

Different strokes for different folks, know your limit and never aproach it. Full legalization IS coming,and when it does I hope there would be laws in place to keep the silly people in check. I have the same feelings for DUI checkpoints, as long as they are fair and effective I'm on board.

Offline Dan

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Dan's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 01 CBR 929RR
  • Years Riding: Since 04'
« Reply #14 on: 08/01/11 09:30AM »
smoking only makes me more mellow while operating a vehicle. i find myself not being in such a hurry going somewhere. i leave more space in front of me. i don't get so "upset" over someone cutting me off. all without noticing any loss in reaction time. i think if everybody smoked before driving/riding the roads would be a nicer place. lol well maybe not. i do agree with most that different people have different reactions to it. there is also a difference between getting plastered and getting a head change.

and yeah the edibles get you plastered....me no likey to much.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #15 on: 08/01/11 09:55AM »
I'd think that it's about perceived risk to self and others.  If you don't feel that you're at risk, then you're obviously not. 

Whether others are at risk is completely up to them.  They should be able to easily spot and avoid anyone that's on a ten-mile-an-hour high.

Ride well,

J~
« Last Edit: 08/01/11 10:03AM by Snapshot »
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline triplestack3

« Reply #16 on: 08/01/11 09:58AM »
Legal or not, a lot people still drive under the influence already.

scott777

« Reply #17 on: 08/01/11 10:02AM »
As someone that's been smoking weed before most of you were born, if you don't think being high effects you judgement and reaction time, you're high! The whole purpose of smoking weed is to dull your brain. As far as the, "It makes me more mello and therefore a safer rider," argument: is being mello and passive always the best and safest response for every situation? No. I'm sure we all can name numerous times when we recognized a situation building and grabbed a fist full of throttle to separate us away from traffic. Bottom line, I like smokin too, but don't bs yourself that driving/riding while high is safe.

Offline OC Josh 23

• 599cc
  • OC Josh 23's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Kawasaki Vaquero 1700
  • Years Riding: 20
« Reply #18 on: 08/01/11 10:16AM »
I too am very surprised at some of the responses advocating this. I am more surprised for the lack of bashing and that ya'll are having an above-the-belt converstaion about a legit topic. Good job OCM members!

Alcohol is legal if you're 21 or older, that doesn't mean that's it's legal to drive/ride under the influence of it. I would think that the same goes for marijuana, just cuz it's legal to injest (for card-carriers) doesn't make it legal to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence.

With that said, a little toke before a ride is alright by me. I think that it inhances concentration and sharpens awareness of my surroundings and I get a better "feel" for my bike. Stay away from the edibles!
« Last Edit: 08/01/11 10:18AM by OC CBR1000RR »
1991 Ninja 600R - SOLD
1995 CBR600F3 - SOLD
1996 CBR900RR - SOLD
2000 TL1000R - SOLD
2001 CBR929RR - SOLD
2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD
2013 ZX1000 - SOLD
2014 ZX14R - SOLD
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Let's give this a shot!

Gahawn

« Reply #19 on: 08/01/11 10:23AM »
CVC 23152.  (a) It is unlawful for any person who is under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug, or under the combined influence of any alcoholic beverage and drug, to drive a vehicle.

It is entirely possible to receive a DUI for popping a Vicodin or taking cough medicine with Codeine, for which you have a legitimate prescription, and driving.
« Last Edit: 08/01/11 10:25AM by The Stig »

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 57 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything