Topic: Linear Programming question. Need help  (Read 782 times)

Offline Jason1000

Linear Programming question. Need help
« on: 11/19/11 11:59AM »
Hi everyone,
having a problem getting started on this problem. Can anyone give me a little assistance? thx

Offline DocFoot

• 125cc
  • DocFoot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 CBR1000RR, 2003 Triumph Sprint ST, 1999 Triumph Legend, 1966 BSA Thunderbolt
  • Years Riding: Almost long enough to know better (44 years)
Re: Linear Programming question. Need help
« Reply #1 on: 11/19/11 12:56PM »
The Ultimate answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe and Everything is 42.
Second choice is "WAG".
Good Luck!

DataDan

« Reply #2 on: 11/19/11 02:21PM »
What tool do you have to solve linear programming problems?

Is this just an issue with understanding how the equations and variables in the stated problem are represented in the tool you use to solve them?

In this problem the objective function is on the top line, expressed in 4 variables. The constraints are the 6 numbered equations.

Once you have an initial solution, the questions can be answered by changing the limits and coefficients. For example, in a), replace 3400, the current limit in [4], by 4000 and re-solve. Does that have any effect on the decision variables (x1 -> x4) in the solution? If so, then it will change the value of the objective function. If it has no effect, then the initial value of 3400 wasn't, in fact, limiting.

Offline Jason1000

« Reply #3 on: 11/19/11 02:27PM »
We are using Excel to solve. Just having problem on how to set it up in excel, so that I can punch in the numbers to see what it'll effect.
What tool do you have to solve linear programming problems?

Is this just an issue with understanding how the equations and variables in the stated problem are represented in the tool you use to solve them?

In this problem the objective function is on the top line, expressed in 4 variables. The constraints are the 6 numbered equations.

Once you have an initial solution, the questions can be answered by changing the limits and coefficients. For example, in a), replace 3400, the current limit in [4], by 4000 and re-solve. Does that have any effect on the decision variables (x1 -> x4) in the solution? If so, then it will change the value of the objective function. If it has no effect, then the initial value of 3400 wasn't, in fact, limiting.

DataDan

« Reply #4 on: 11/19/11 02:48PM »
I have zero experience using Excel for linear programming. But a quick Google search ("solving linear programming problems with excel") turns up some tutorials that might be of use. The ones I found are all old, but this one from Merced College was one I found easy enough to understand.

Offline Don

• Just Don.
  • Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Don's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6 Charcoal Grey
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #5 on: 11/19/11 03:01PM »
It's been a few years since I took linear programming (I liked that class).

I will see if I have any of my old Excel sheets saved that might help.

"If you want to realize how inattentive you are as a driver, ride a motorcycle."

Offline Jason1000

« Reply #6 on: 11/19/11 03:03PM »
Thx guys. Our class didn't do so good on this type of problem on the test, so the professor posted this question and giving us until tonight to do it and he will give us some points towards our grade.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything