Topic: Has anyone ever had to replace a Oil Sight Level Glass?  (Read 4551 times)

Offline KawiKess

• 998cc
  • KawiKess's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Kawasaki ZX9R, ZX6r
  • Years Riding: Yes Please
Ok so I took my GF's bike to get powder coated, when I picked them up and look at the engine cover I noticed that the glass was missing. I called Embee and they told me it had shattered while in the oven. Any advice is good advice. Champion Motors said they cant get it, and I don't see it anywhere online. The bike is a Honda F4i 2001.

Offline brl0301

My advise would be to never let that place pc your stuff again. thats is a stupid mistaake to make. The oil sight glasses that are repalceable are normally held in with a snap ring but I Idont know if thats how the one on your bike is. If not you may have to just replace the entire cover. Why not take it to a dealership and ask?

Offline ucigaragemilitia

• 998cc
  • ucigaragemilitia's Gallery
  • Isaiah 54:17
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6 (SOLD), 2006 GSXR 750
  • Years Riding: 6
Yea, call the PC place back and tell them they owe you a new site glass.  They admitted to breaking it, seems pretty straight forward to me.

Offline ThrillQuest

Yea, call the PC place back and tell them they owe you a new site glass.  They admitted to breaking it, seems pretty straight forward to me.

Yep.
The speedometer only serves as a distraction.
Sometimes life just isn't fair. Expecting life to treat you well because you're a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you're vegetarian.

Offline daft

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • daft's Gallery
  • YES, this is how I take a shit
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 Yamaha R1 Raven
you powdercoated an engine?  why would you do that?

Offline -KENNETH-

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • -KENNETH-'s Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FZ-10
  • Years Riding: since '06
obviously, it was never meant to get that hot if it shattered. who knows what other unseen damage you have done to it. looks like you  are gunna have to bite the bullet on this one. now u are one engine short.

Offline cbrsmurf

lol, it's not embee's fault the glass shattered.  it's going in a friggin oven, the oil sight glass isn't designed to take those temps.

and powdercoating an engine case?  an engine block gets pretty warm, are you sure the paint will hold?  also, I hope you didn't powdercoat the engine case gasket surface because you might not get a good seal.  and your engine cover bolts may not fit through with the additional thickness.  just so many things that can go wrong powdercoating an engine case cover.

Offline Klaus

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Klaus's Gallery
  • I fix problems.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too Many
  • Years Riding: Too Many
Unfortunately, I believe your side cover's sight glass is pressed into the cover itself by Honda.  Newer Suzuki models do have a snap ring holding the oil sight glass in, but I've also had difficulty tracking down the specific glass itself (high mileage fogging vs. shatter)

Your cheapest option is to just pick up another cover.
« Last Edit: 02/03/12 06:16AM by Klaus »
Efficiency is beauty.  Patterns rule the world.

Offline brl0301

lol, it's not embee's fault the glass shattered.  it's going in a friggin oven, the oil sight glass isn't designed to take those temps.

and powdercoating an engine case?  an engine block gets pretty warm, are you sure the paint will hold?  also, I hope you didn't powdercoat the engine case gasket surface because you might not get a good seal.  and your engine cover bolts may not fit through with the additional thickness.  just so many things that can go wrong powdercoating an engine case cover.
how is it not their fault? Do they have a blind guy sand blast and powder coat stuff? Its their job to make sure that they aren't working on things that sholuldnt be worked on. Unless they warned the OP of the possible consequences then they are entirely at fault

Offline ☠ Jax ☯

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • ☠ Jax ☯'s Gallery
  • HEY YOU GUYSSSS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1989 Suzuki Katana 600
  • Years Riding: 5 years
If this is the one you may need to get a new/used one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-HONDA-CBR-F4i-CLUTCH-COVER-W-IGNITION-PICK-UP-COIL-CASE-PROTECTOR-/200702820683?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2ebad2014b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBR-600-F4I-CLUTCH-COVER-AND-HARDWARE-2001-2006-/270900581185?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f12eed341

I have had crank case covers PC with the glass still in and never had one shatter. Was it just regular PC or was it the ceramic Jet Coating? Regular PC the oven runs between 320-410 degrees.

Offline KawiKess

• 998cc
  • KawiKess's Gallery
    • View Profile
Sorry I didn't mean engine case, that would be a little absurd and overkill for our project. It was the clutch cover, and yes it was just a standard PC, I assumed the glass would hold up and I had them look over all the parts for anything that may have needed to come off before going in and got the green light. Yes I could get another cover but I would still need to get it re-powder coated. I'm going to stop by a glass manufacturer in Costa Mesa and see if they can cut me a piece. It shouldn't be that difficult or expensive since its literally the diameter of a quarter, but those are usually the last words spoken before digging in your wallet. Thanks Jax for the links. I'll post some pics of her bike, and of the missing piece and see if any of you Mcgyvers out there have some advice.

Offline KawiKess

• 998cc
  • KawiKess's Gallery
    • View Profile

Offline Tombiker11

Oil sight glass on my KTM Duke II just popped out one day, but a new one was glued in by the KTM dealer. Probably doesn't help your situation much, though.
Dainese D-Store
1645 Superior Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
949-650-2300

danny500r

Might check with cbrforum.com before trying to get a new piece of glass. I could swear I remember seeing someone that had to replace theirs, but don't remember which forum I was on.

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 54 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook