Topic: F4i Reserve light/gauge  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Pngo12

• 749cc
  • Pngo12's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 01 CBR F4i (SOLD) 07 Daytona 675
F4i Reserve light/gauge
« on: 03/12/12 12:55PM »
I filled my tank exactly 3 gallons the other day and its been 63 miles and the reserve light came on.  21 mpg...?  But then the gauge came off and it came back on again and I'm just thinking I have a faulty sensor or something that just senses when gas is low and triggers the gauge to go on.  Anybody else have this problem or am I just getting incredibly shitty gas mileage.  In case anybody is curious the only mod is a Yoshimura exhaust, just had new spark plugs put in and the air filter is still minty, and oil will be changed soon but the oil was recently changed maybe 2k miles ago.

Offline RuZZeLL

• 749cc
  • RuZZeLL's Gallery
  • "Handle it."
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2005 Honda RC51, 2006 BMW K1200S
  • Years Riding: 17 yrs.
Re: F4i Reserve light/gauge
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/12 01:25PM »
I thought I remember my "gauge" on the F4i being on some sort of timer.... like it didn't even know how much gas i had and just kind of blinked at some point...

My 02 had I believe 4 or 5 LCD bars, is yours the same? If so, check the manual and see if it's actually based on fuel level or estimation... maybe I am way off.

-R
RuZZeLL
'05 Honda RC51
'06 BMW K1200S

danny500r

« Reply #2 on: 03/12/12 02:25PM »
I've only had my light come on once and I burned two bars before I made to the gas station, think my fill up was about 4.3 gallons, but it did take a few minutes for it to go away once I filled up. Now I just fill up every 100 miles.

Might be a faulty sensor, but I'd just keep an eye on it and track your gas usage using your trip meter for a tank or two, I almost never wait for the low fuel sensor.

For the record I have almost the same setup. Yoshi Pipe and K&N Air filter and T6 synthetic oil. I do seriously need spark plugs and a valve adjustment, but I'm still getting between 30-36 mpg depending on how hard I am on her.

Offline hero

• 599cc
  • hero's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Daytona 675
« Reply #3 on: 03/12/12 03:15PM »
the f4i reserve bar comes on at .9 gallons left.  at 63 miles of 3 gallons, that's more like 30 mpg.  While it's low, it's not out of the ordinary if you are riding hard, have a dirty air filter, been adding aftermarket parts w/out tuning, under inflated tires, etc.
basically lots of reasons to consider first, before thinking the sensor is wrong.

I'd fill the bike up once more, reset the tripometer, and keep an eye out for when the gauge comes on.

When i had my f4i i could get 30mpg or i could get 45mpg....just depends on how i ride.  I wouldn't consider it a problem from an isolated incident. Control the factors, try again, and keep an eye out.  If it happens again, let us know.

Offline Pngo12

• 749cc
  • Pngo12's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/12 08:37PM »
Ruzzell: Yeah theres 4-5 LCD bars, I just call it a gauge.

Hero: I filled 3 gallons when it had the reserve light on before, my pressure in my tires are good, its at a little above 32 psi, and my air filter is fairly new also.  I used to fill at 100 miles on the trip meter but there were a couple times it would randomly come on at around 60-70 so it just got me thinking if it's a faulty sensor and it does take awhile for the reserve gauge to go away after I fill also, but I'll keep riding and we'll see how it is.

danny500r

« Reply #5 on: 03/12/12 09:39PM »

Hero: I filled 3 gallons when it had the reserve light on before, my pressure in my tires are good, its at a little above 32 psi, and my air filter is fairly new also.  I used to fill at 100 miles on the trip meter but there were a couple times it would randomly come on at around 60-70 so it just got me thinking if it's a faulty sensor and it does take awhile for the reserve gauge to go away after I fill also, but I'll keep riding and we'll see how it is.

Have you changed your fuel pressure regular yet? They're well known to go out on these bikes. That could also cause the mileage issue.

Offline Pngo12

• 749cc
  • Pngo12's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/12 10:06PM »

Have you changed your fuel pressure regular yet? They're well known to go out on these bikes. That could also cause the mileage issue.

I haven't actually.  How do I know that its faulty?  I don't want to just play a guessing game and replace stuff lol.

Offline BlueJ

• Jumbaco!
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • BlueJ's Gallery
  • Yamaha runs in my blood
    • View Profile
  • Bike: yes
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/12 10:40PM »
the f4i reserve bar comes on at .9 gallons left.  at 63 miles of 3 gallons, that's more like 30 mpg.  While it's low, it's not out of the ordinary if you are riding hard, have a dirty air filter, been adding aftermarket parts w/out tuning, under inflated tires, etc.
basically lots of reasons to consider first, before thinking the sensor is wrong.

I'd fill the bike up once more, reset the tripometer, and keep an eye out for when the gauge comes on.

When i had my f4i i could get 30mpg or i could get 45mpg....just depends on how i ride.  I wouldn't consider it a problem from an isolated incident. Control the factors, try again, and keep an eye out.  If it happens again, let us know.

+1

Offline Pngo12

• 749cc
  • Pngo12's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/17/12 11:49PM »
Just if anybody is curious and wanted to know I ended up getting the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) replaced.  The new one is a bit bigger than the older one that came out of the factory and I used an OEM Honda part to replace it.  I believe this is the culprit but I haven't had time to make sure 100% since it has been raining.  At first start up right away the bike ran differently.  It idled a lot smoother and just sounds so much better.  There isn't much exhaust pop anymore and the bike is a lot faster.  Haven't tested the MPG yet due to the rain but it's not running rich anymore since replacing the FPR.  Any F4i owners out there that have not replaced their FPR yet I highly recommend that you do just to avoid problems in the future, and its about 72 bucks at Honda.  :43:

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 42 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook