Topic: Anybody racing their European bike?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline jamesepoop

Anybody racing their European bike?
« on: 05/07/12 10:09PM »
Just wondering if you guys run into any issue with parts availability?  After calling some places for parts, then I realized that sometimes it takes 2-3 months just to get replacement OEM items (engine parts, pistons, valves, etc), that it may not be worth waiting.  Just curious what your guys' experience were with racing a Aprilia or Ducati.  I like to work on my bike myself when I can, so shops are kind of out the question.  What's your experience?  Do you always go to a shop and wait it out?  Do you work on it yourself?  Have you ever had a case of your favorite bike sitting in the garage for over 1-2 months while waiting for parts?
Check out Paddock Garage for your motorcycle needs!
http://www.facebook.com/paddockmc

Offline TripleDuc

• 599cc
  • TripleDuc's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ducati 999 Testastretta Monoposta
  • Years Riding: 15
Re: Anybody racing their European bike?
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/12 09:07PM »
i have a 999 duc and getting parts can be rough.  you've gotta be patient or pay for it in the pocketbook.  gsxr was so much easier.  also, no one works on due other than due dealership, but i guess thats not a prob for u. 

Offline cbrsmurf

« Reply #2 on: 05/08/12 10:31PM »
Depends, what specific model are you considering for racing?

Offline kingchickenstrip

• 749cc
  • kingchickenstrip's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 gsxr1000/03 gsxr1000 naked/06 gsxr1000/08 Aprilia RSV-R
  • Years Riding: 8 years
« Reply #3 on: 05/09/12 07:53AM »
One of the BIG reasons I use a GSXR at the track is the amount of cheap parts I can find on Ebay.
I like my women like I like my bikes, loud, fast, and naked.

Offline 5150

« Reply #4 on: 05/09/12 04:38PM »
For Ducs  SBK Corse in Lake Forest Neils a genius with Ducs,he worked forthe Ducati race team in Italy, he rebuilt my 999  to road/ race spec after some factory certified $%#* messed it up big time fitting a lightenend flywheel.

Offline jamesepoop

« Reply #5 on: 05/09/12 04:53PM »
Depends, what specific model are you considering for racing?

I was looking at a Ducati 848 or Daytona 675.  I understand there's shops for everything these days and parts can be had, but sometimes turn around time is a killer.  For example, when I went to see about fixing possibly a bent valve on my Speed Triple.  They gave me the whole run down about how it could possibly take 2-3 months for parts, etc.  That's not good and I heard this from several shops.  Are people just dealing with it when the time comes?  I'm just curious.
Check out Paddock Garage for your motorcycle needs!
http://www.facebook.com/paddockmc

Offline cbrsmurf

« Reply #6 on: 05/09/12 05:14PM »
Might be a better question to ask on socalmoto/CVMA forum or the wera forum.

I would recommend racing a big4 japanese bike as parts are more readily available.  However, if you are set on racing a euro bike, you shouldn't really need any OEM parts unless something catastrophic happens or you are racing on a seriously built engine.  Most, if not all, of the stuff you need will be aftermarket and should be fairly easy and fast to acquire. 

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 42 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook