Topic: Tail light going out  (Read 1354 times)

Offline iloveherlogic

Tail light going out
« on: 07/13/12 07:53PM »
Hi everybody I've had this problem for a while my tail lights go on and off or dim and undim. usually when it gets shaken around so on the road it happens a lot. I wanted to get in and fix it today but there is a bunch of stuff going on under the seat. I'm not quite sure what eveything is and it looks a bit of a mess. Heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_QgR7D0HIc&feature=plcp
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
And sorry this probably would go best in how to's
« Last Edit: 07/13/12 07:55PM by iloveherlogic »

CougarHunter

Re: Tail light going out
« Reply #1 on: 07/13/12 08:05PM »
right off the bat, i would suspect a loose connection somewhere. you do have a lot going on back there though. id try to clean some of it up if possible...

Bakhos1

« Reply #2 on: 07/13/12 08:25PM »
right off the bat, i would suspect a loose connection somewhere. you do have a lot going on back there though. id try to clean some of it up if possible...
Ditto

Offline bulletbkr

• 599cc
  • bulletbkr's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2001 GSX-R1000, 86 GSX-R750
  • Years Riding: 29...Can it possibly be that long?
« Reply #3 on: 07/14/12 01:17AM »
Yup, Lots of electro-foolishness going on in there, looks like perhaps the cross member is interfering with the socket joint on the port-side light. Most likely have a loose connection/broken wire somewhere in all that spaghetti... You can start by soldering and taping all the joints there, get rid of those Scotch-Loks, and butt-splices. They get corroded and will become intermittent in time, and especially with vibration.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Offline 1Fastbusa

• 998cc
  • 1Fastbusa's Gallery
  • Just Do It
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 GSXR1000, 2012 Hayabusa, 2013 KTM900 Supermoto, DR650se Supermoto, 2014 Harley Street Bob
  • Years Riding: Forever in the dirt, and on the street
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/12 04:19AM »
Tighten all that's on the tail and like said from above clean up the wiring by solder and shrik wrap all connections
good luck
The weak die young

HBguy

« Reply #5 on: 07/14/12 06:16AM »
10:1 its one of those butt-splice connections.   Instead of banging on your bike like a monkey, move one wire at a time to find one that causes the flicker.

Offline Repsol Joe

• 998cc
  • Repsol Joe's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Honda Repsol
  • Years Riding: Over 25 years dirt. Street on and off since 02
« Reply #6 on: 07/31/12 12:06AM »
10:1 its one of those butt-splice connections.   Instead of banging on your bike like a monkey, move one wire at a time to find one that causes the flicker.
What tumble weed said including the monkey part.  :32: follow the wires from that left rear light and see where it leads you to, I bet you that you will find the problem where those wires lead you to. Probably one of thos butt connector that have only a wires holding it together and when moved around you lose the connections= power loss to light. Check both power and ground cause it's one of those.

HBguy

« Reply #7 on: 08/01/12 11:15AM »
That scene is what I see in my head each time I go over a used bike, car, or truck for sale.

Offline Kalani3175

• 50cc
  • Kalani3175's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb1000r
  • Years Riding: Class M1 since '93 racing since 4 years old
« Reply #8 on: 08/14/12 06:40AM »
I am assuming but I don't think your the solder and clean up kind of guy if you want I could clean that up in about 10 min. Let me know if you still need help and I will pop by or you can come down here. Last thing you want is to not have tail lights and some douche run in to the back of you.

Offline bulletbkr

• 599cc
  • bulletbkr's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2001 GSX-R1000, 86 GSX-R750
  • Years Riding: 29...Can it possibly be that long?
« Reply #9 on: 08/14/12 11:06AM »
Yes, update us please! I'm curious myself to hear what you did/discovered/how you solved this issue. I have one of my own I'll be working on today, every time I hit a big enough bump, my sidestand moves just far enough to open the contacts on the sidestand safety switch. I don't want to totally disconnect it, I've become used to it's functionality, and if someone else uses my bike, they might not be aware that it has been disconnected. So I'm going to interrupt the ignition interface, and instead put a SOOPER-bright LED on the dash that will light up when the stand is down. That way the engine won't cut out when I'm driving, but there will still be a very visible indicator when the sidestand is down. (Sorry about jacking your thread, we now return you to your regularly scheduled malfunction...)  :30:
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook