Topic: Not all cops are dicks  (Read 3501 times)

offroadsocal

Re: Not all cops are dicks
« Reply #20 on: 09/28/12 09:27AM »
 :29: :29: :29: :27: that cop is the man!

Offline brl0301

« Reply #21 on: 09/28/12 04:49PM »
Well said. With all the recent FTP sentiment around here I found it refreshing to see this video and just had to share it. The law enforcement profession suffers from the phenomenon of media twist. When a cop does something people disagree with it gets lots of airtime. When something like this happens they so rarely get noticed. I'm willing to bet that in the real world more of this sort of thing happens than the other. We just don't see it.

I know there are cops that arent dicks. Unfortunately I have run into most that are massive cocks that seem to be on some sort of pent up 'roid rage trip when I talk to them. Happens often enough to you, where the legitimately good cops are a minority, you arent going to like them as a whole. Whats interesting is the higher up the food chain, typically the better they are in communication and understanding. I know I have exceptions for that too... I have had some pretty positive discussions and interactions with Sergeants, Lieutenants, and a Chief of Police or two... but the patrol guys, with few exceptions have always been massive dicks. I know every profession and workplace has their know it all assholes, but where in the places Im at, its the minority, when you deal with police officers its the majority. No one likes interacting with guys who are angry assholes....angry assholes who can shoot, or mess your bank, or life up is far worse.
Have you every thought that maybe you have mostly bad interactions because of the way you come off to them? If you have it in your head that most street cops are dicks you are going to treat them as such before they even get an oppurtunity to treat you like a respectable person. A big part of cops jobs is to read people, and act accordingly, so you dont even have to say a sinlge word for your opinion of them to be extremely clear. How about the next time you have some sort of interaction with the police you treat them with the respect you would treat anyone else with and see how it goes...

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #22 on: 09/28/12 04:55PM »
All cops are dicks, the end.

I didn't read a single word outside of the title :D

Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
« Reply #23 on: 09/28/12 05:11PM »
Have you every thought that maybe you have mostly bad interactions because of the way you come off to them? If you have it in your head that most street cops are dicks you are going to treat them as such before they even get an oppurtunity to treat you like a respectable person. A big part of cops jobs is to read people, and act accordingly, so you dont even have to say a sinlge word for your opinion of them to be extremely clear. How about the next time you have some sort of interaction with the police you treat them with the respect you would treat anyone else with and see how it goes...

This is pretty much my understanding.  When I ran the rifle range one of the first things that I had to do was assess the shooters as they came to the line during the day.  I got really good at predicting who the pricks would be.  Sometimes they got what they gave.  I hated that.  (Unless they were bangers, because bangers are disrespectful to everyone around them.  They can't shoot for shit, either.)

If you search youtube for cool or nice cop, you'll find even more videos.  For some reason, those are rarely posted here...

J~
« Last Edit: 09/28/12 06:36PM by Snapshot »
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline TheChad

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • TheChad's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2002 CBR954RR, 2011 ZX10R
  • Years Riding: A long time
« Reply #24 on: 09/28/12 06:36PM »
Well said. With all the recent FTP sentiment around here I found it refreshing to see this video and just had to share it. The law enforcement profession suffers from the phenomenon of media twist. When a cop does something people disagree with it gets lots of airtime. When something like this happens they so rarely get noticed. I'm willing to bet that in the real world more of this sort of thing happens than the other. We just don't see it.

I know there are cops that arent dicks. Unfortunately I have run into most that are massive cocks that seem to be on some sort of pent up 'roid rage trip when I talk to them. Happens often enough to you, where the legitimately good cops are a minority, you arent going to like them as a whole. Whats interesting is the higher up the food chain, typically the better they are in communication and understanding. I know I have exceptions for that too... I have had some pretty positive discussions and interactions with Sergeants, Lieutenants, and a Chief of Police or two... but the patrol guys, with few exceptions have always been massive dicks. I know every profession and workplace has their know it all assholes, but where in the places Im at, its the minority, when you deal with police officers its the majority. No one likes interacting with guys who are angry assholes....angry assholes who can shoot, or mess your bank, or life up is far worse.

When I was brought up as a kid, I grew up in Texas in what was at the time a very small suburb. The cops there were not dicks, and I grew up to respect them, and be very polite to them. Moved out here and the cops I dealt with were 180 degrees different. Maybe after several years of very bad interactions where I was respectful, unemotional, polite, and concise...and expected at least to be treated respectfully, I was in fact treated very poorly, and with an attitude that in any other profession would get you fired.

Not to mention a few instances where I had a gun drawn on me, where I had not done a damned thing wrong, just skateboarding straight to work, on public sidewalks legally shifted my perspective dramatically. Then the personal interactions with a neighbor who is a sergeant in HBPD, and the Lieutenant whose step daughter I dated, and suspect he abused her in many ways....and got to listen to the wonderful stories of how he abused taxpayer money, and messed with people just because he could. Then the HB riots in the 90s...which with exception for a couple dumbasses on 6th street wasnt a riot, just riot police beating the crap out of people in their front lawns without warning on 4th of july.

Then a few choice interactions with the police in my car and motorcycles... I will say there have been positive interactions, but they are far and few between.

I ALWAYS turn the car off, put the keys on the dash, put my hands on the steering wheel and obey every command, politely and concisely. I make sure to give every appearance to be a citizen not a criminal. Same with the motorcycle. Key is out of the ignition. Helmet comes off slowly, and put on the tank and my hands are on the bars with no appearance of being a threat. No harsh words.

So after that I have a very harsh experience or deal with a cop out and out lying....Im not going to have much love or respect for them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnVMzmbvtfI

There you go, givin a f*ck when it ain't your turn to give a f*ck.

oldman

« Reply #25 on: 09/28/12 07:27PM »

I'll have to disagree. I'd say that 1% are good guys, doing a good job. The rest are criminals!
« Last Edit: 10/12/12 12:52PM by oldman »

Offline tattoo

Re: Re: Not all cops are dicks
« Reply #26 on: 09/28/12 07:51PM »

I'l have to disagree. I'd say that 1% are good guys, doing a good job. The rest are criminals!

They are the TRUE 1%ERS

Offline ninjaben

« Reply #27 on: 09/28/12 09:41PM »
Isn't interesting that a person wants to give kudos to a cop who does something good but then that cop gets bashed for his occupation. Not all bike riders are a-holes and not all a-holes are bike riders. Those of you who think ALL cops are dicks, would you think the same if he saved you or your kids life? No one should have to earn respect that way. It should automatically be given. I am not greater then you nor are you greater then me. My 25 cents...
Ben

Offline tattoo

« Reply #28 on: 09/28/12 09:47PM »
Respect isn't automatically given to anybody. Its earned.

Offline TheChad

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • TheChad's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2002 CBR954RR, 2011 ZX10R
  • Years Riding: A long time
« Reply #29 on: 09/29/12 05:01PM »

I think I explained pretty well there why that's not the case. Even now I still am polite, concise, and keep my actions to the exact things they want you to. I am not a criminal, I have never been to jail, or prison, nor found guilty of even a minor misdemeanor. I'm not stupid either. The cops don't want you treating them like buddies, or acting familiar. I do sales, manage a small business, and deal in interactions with people on a daily basis I do not like or respect but get along fine.

If there is some thing I could do differently, I have asked passengers in my car, or ridden with, and have been to that I could not have said or done much differently, and in a few cases I have been told I was too nice that they would have been way more pissed...this from my old roommate who is fairly passive. I do know of one incident where I was pretty mad I was pulled over and was letting these people in RVs driving side by side irratically at 25mph in a 60mph zone....that was one where I did let my temper get the best of me.

The rest have been shit eating sessions entailing lots of counting to numbers and being accurate and polite. You don't actively piss people off who already have an attitude, a badge, and a gun with you not being armed, no backup, and anything you do or say other than the Correct Minimal Thing is wrong and can possibly ruin or even end your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnVMzmbvtfI

There you go, givin a f*ck when it ain't your turn to give a f*ck.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #30 on: 09/29/12 05:13PM »
But did you see that sweet ride...?  :49:
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline TanMan

What a nice cop
« Reply #31 on: 10/11/12 11:50PM »
Saw this vid that was posted back in september. NYPD just earned some brownie points in my book. 

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=80d_1348721083&p=1

mbstr

Re: What a nice cop
« Reply #32 on: 10/12/12 05:47AM »
Go on the sidewalk in Hb And you'll get a ticket and a beat down!

Offline Diz

• Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Diz's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '01 RC51, '12 S1000RR
  • Years Riding: FOEVA
« Reply #33 on: 10/12/12 09:23AM »
Duplicate threads merged.
My name is Dan

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 51 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything