Topic: Fueling - octane, ethanols, race gases, additives, storage, etc  (Read 517 times)

Offline justaguy

• PROSPECTS MC
  • 749cc
  • justaguy's Gallery
  • ride like you're invisible
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBR250, RSV4
  • Years Riding: 30+
i'd really like to get a hand on what's going on with available fuels, additives, etc and the effects ethanol has on fuel systems. 

i have a couple bikes i'd like to store so i'm looking into fuel options that are most stable and non-corrosive or crude for the system - both injected and carbureted.  i've come up with some options locally and want to throw them out there and see where i'm at. 

1) VP U4.4 leaded - the guy at my local auto parts carries various VP 5gal.  he recommended this for both injected and carbureted.  i feel this would be good for storage.

2) HB Carwash on Beach + Garfield sell VP100 unleaded w/ethanol CARB-legal - this is probably not good for storage as it has same additives as pump gas - (i believe that there are additives in fuel, especially California, that make it go off so that people can't stockpile it)

3) Aviation fuel - i can get aviation fuel that is 100 low lead - 110 low lead.  this is where my conspiracy about additives kicks in because aviation fuel has to be formulated to last as many private planes sit for a long periods of time inactive.

4) pump gas with additives - there are several additives we all know about - Marine Sta-bil, Lucas, Maxima, etc.  also ethanol treatments too.  i'd avoid this for storage purpose but i'm leaning towards ethanol treatment for my everyday stuff.

leaded vs unleaded.  lead aids in valve cushioning and is good for when you're doing alot of revving.  if you don't rev much running leaded fuel, that's when you'll get build up - you need to keep blowing that crap through the system and getting it out into the environment, that's where high-rpms comes in. 

leaded is bad for modern systems as it builds up quickly on the tiny sensors.  also buildup is corrosive - muffler, etc.  i find the use of leaded fuel only benefits if you're high-revving alot, not storing a motorcycle.

as for octane, i've found that if you run what's recommended, that's how the bike is setup to work from the factory.  so on a regular bike only requiring 87, if you run higher stuff, the electronics are only going to deal with the limits of their settings.  i've heard Triumph sets up their bike for the available fuels in the specific areas they are being sold!  driving my Tacoma 2WD i notice a huge difference in power, especially on the freeway when i run higher octane - i think because the electronics have been setup for higher compression for dealing with heavier payloads, etc

like i said, i'm investigating this because i have bike that i store and also for the issue of ethanol for everyday use.  also with storage, it's air interacting with fuel that sets it to going off so i've found that storing with a full tank allowing for very little air in the system is a good practice.

cheers!

« Last Edit: 09/29/12 11:45AM by justaguy »
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." -Aldous Huxley

"Don't give me Liberty, I'll get up and get it myself" -unknown

Offline AlmosTryin

Do not store a bike with race fuel in it. Why not just drain the fuel entirely? I let a tank of 91 octane sit in my car for about a year as I was doing a very slow motor swap build, thing fired right up and actually ran normal, no ill negative effects. I wouldn't reccommend it in a carb'd bike though
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
Do not store a bike with race fuel in it. Why not just drain the fuel entirely? I let a tank of 91 octane sit in my car for about a year as I was doing a very slow motor swap build, thing fired right up and actually ran normal, no ill negative effects. I wouldn't reccommend it in a carb'd bike though
Agree I have had FI bikes sit with 91 in them for over 6 month with no bad effects, maybe doesn't produce as much power but runs fine.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
You can probably get by storing the bike with a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-bil and 91-octane.  No need to waste money on racing or aviation fuel.

As for the carbed bike, the jets are more sensitive to build up.  I'd use some over the counter fuel additive such as Techron upon first start-up, always worked for my SuperHawk when it was acting up.
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline justaguy

• PROSPECTS MC
  • 749cc
  • justaguy's Gallery
    • View Profile
for storing i was just looking for something with no ethanol, that's why i was considering AV gas or some formula of race gas.
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." -Aldous Huxley

Offline AlmosTryin

Race gas is corrosive. That's why the empty the tanks and don't let it sit in the bike for any periods of time.
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline mxracer95

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • mxracer95's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Impact Racing
  • Bike: GSXR 750, R6, YZ-125, KTM 530 EXC
  • Years Riding: 20+
Race gas is corrosive. That's why the empty the tanks and don't let it sit in the bike for any periods of time.

VP is especially corrosive!

Normal pump gas with sta-bil is the best way to store a vehicle. And make sure the tank is pretty close to full to prevent rusting.
- 2013 GSX-R750 Commuter
- 2013 GSX-R750 Stunt bike
- 2013 GSX-R750 Cannonball bike
- 2012 GSX-R750 [have you seen me? :(  ]
- 2014 YZF-R6 (MotoAmerica/WERA #195) - Race Bike
- 2014 YZF-R6 AMA Club race bike
- 2009 KTM 530 EXC - Supermoto
- 2004 YZ 125 (#95)

Offline justaguy

• PROSPECTS MC
  • 749cc
  • justaguy's Gallery
    • View Profile
What about VP100?  That's pretty much the same formula as pump gas and even contains ethanol. This is what's available at Beach and Garfield. I think it's the more hardcore stuff that's corrosive, VP100 is just 100octane pump gas right?

Offline modog

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • modog's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Suzuki GSXR 750
  • Years Riding: 10+
I did not know that. Good info for the future.

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 47 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook