Topic: I need loooong jumper cables... this is a terrible idea, right?  (Read 8301 times)

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
No power?  Sounds like you need a generator or it might be best to call a tow truck.  Depending on how long the car's been sitting it may not even be safe to drive (dry-rotted tires, water in brake lines), or the best idea unless you can do a quick oil change and do a thorough once-over of the fuel and ignition systems and brake lines.
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Parc Ferme

it's a relatively new Yaris, it's been sitting about a year.
hubcap diamond star halo girl lord flatbed ford beans heart fart

Offline ItsAnGeL

To much thought is going into this, take the battery out take it to your local autozone and get the battery charged  an hour later your ready to roll.. :26:
"Ride Safe Guys" :)

Offline 06 ninja

• 749cc
  • 06 ninja's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Kawasaki 636 / 2013 Ducati 848 EVO Corse
  • Years Riding: 10
let me know if you still need help.. i am heading home at 4pm, i can make a stop if you are on my way.

GL

Offline TanMan

I'm no electrical expert, but I'll imagine you'll get a lot of line loss when you start extending cables like that. Resistance is additive in series, 12V is 12V so your cranking amp will go down.

Why not just take the battery out of the car and either swap it with your donor car's battery or just charge the battery and put it back into the dead car?

Offline jeffsback

• 749cc
  • jeffsback's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 EX500, 2007EX500, 01 GS500, 03 GSXR 750, 05 ST1300
  • Years Riding: since 1979
longer cables isn't a bad idea but one that's liable to disappoint you...

Highly conductive copper cables still offer some significant resistance, especially with the higher current flows required to jump a car. The longer the cables are, the less current will effectively pass through them. You can get extra long cables, I have a set, but the thickness of the copper is significantly greater than standard type cables.

Standard cables are 6 gauge, cheep ones are 8 gauge, good cables are 4 gauge or lower...

If you're gonna double the length, you had better be using really good cables...

I live in Placentia if you need to come borrow my heavy, long cables. seven 1 Four 222 2three89
« Last Edit: 10/01/12 04:26PM by jeffsback »

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
The longer, heavier gauge cables idea is not bad and it is true as you double the length of the cable your available cranking amps will decrease.  How much length do you need anyway?  Are we talking a Yaris hatchback or a sedan?  The difference between the two is about 2' and could save whomever comes to assist you much hassle.  Sounds like a light enough car to push around either way, not like we're talking about a Maybach or a Suburban...
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Day6

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Day6's Gallery
  • unZunDunR
    • View Profile
  • Bike: D6
  • Years Riding: 1+
Ive used the daisy chain method a couple times, worked fine.This was w/ a cheapo set & a good quality set of jumper cables.This was also a little v6 used to jump a v8.Hook the cables straight to the dead batt & to pos & as close to the alt on the other vehicle.Let the dead batt get a bit of a charge before you try to crank the eng over, then go for it.

Offline honda pc

• 749cc
  • honda pc's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 88 hawk gt, bandit 1250
  • Years Riding: 10
you want to sell it...

I have used a battery charger with the engine start selector switch and boom...it starts no problem... Then battery charges while driving the car..

it's a relatively new Yaris, it's been sitting about a year.

Offline TheChad

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • TheChad's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2002 CBR954RR, 2011 ZX10R
  • Years Riding: A long time
I still like the idea of pushing the car out of the garage the best. Is it not possible to do this?
I second this. Get some help if need be. Much safer.

I also was questioning why the hell anyone would try to stretch cables around instead of just moving the car.... Done this enough times from small bugs to a big ole 1978 88 Olds when I weighed around 145lbs and moved it myself. It really isnt that tough and keeps from having a bad situation.

If you are really that lazy, as someone else mentioned there is a portable jump starter from Harbor Freight for $47.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=portable%20jump%20starter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnVMzmbvtfI

There you go, givin a f*ck when it ain't your turn to give a f*ck.

Offline TheChad

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • TheChad's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2002 CBR954RR, 2011 ZX10R
  • Years Riding: A long time
ok, the layout of the house is such that the driveway is next to the house.  you drive past the house into the garage.  so the only way to get the car and another car next to each other on this property would be to push the car out of the garage on then sideways onto a tiny yard (a la tetris) or push the car completely out onto the busy street.

i think working smartest is to jump the car where it is (no pushing) and the drive the car out of the garage and to the new location.

no pushing, who's with me !?!?

If its a Yaris that thing is light. Get 3 people, just bring it out then push it back in backwards. Takes a few minutes... Or get the portable jump starter... or just replace the battery. I strongly suspect if its been a year and its drained that long, probably is no bueno anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnVMzmbvtfI

There you go, givin a f*ck when it ain't your turn to give a f*ck.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
use 2 4awg car stereo cables?

or how about two 25' extension cords...chop the ends off and wrap it around the terminals

I'd imagine the connection via the daisy chain (clipping two ends of two jumper cables) will result in even more loss than the distance alone
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 53 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook