Thanks for the info.
If I get pulled over in HB i'll have a monstrosity of a fix it ticket :(

respect few - fear none

Offline njineermike

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • njineermike's Gallery
  • Proud member of the loose screw crew!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07Ducati Monster 695 Dark, '04 Ducati Supersport 800 Streetfighter, '07 CBR1000RR (project),'07 Duc
  • Years Riding: lots
Re: Turn Signals
« Reply #21 on: 06/19/08 10:02PM »
I got nailed for the "not 9 inches apart and not 3.5 inches visible area" thing. Got also me a speeding ticket for a whopping 82 miles an hour......
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.  - Winston Churchill

chasered07

« Reply #22 on: 06/25/08 12:56PM »
this may sound stupid but the factory integrated tailight on my k7 gixxer doesnt look like it is 9 inches apart.i havent measured it but im almost positive its not that far apart.does it mean 9 inches from the brake light or from 1 turn signal to the other?

Offline Dane

• Sparky
  • Administrator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Dane's Gallery
  • a.k.a. A11214576266
    • View Profile
    • www.ocmoto.com
  • Bike: '07 R1, '02 YZ426
  • Years Riding: 12.04
« Reply #23 on: 06/25/08 01:03PM »
this may sound stupid but the factory integrated tailight on my k7 gixxer doesnt look like it is 9 inches apart.i havent measured it but im almost positive its not that far apart.does it mean 9 inches from the brake light or from 1 turn signal to the other?

9" from the center of the left signal to the center of the right signal.

Offline Don

• Just Don.
  • Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Don's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6 Charcoal Grey
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #24 on: 06/25/08 01:03PM »
9 inches from center of turn signal to center of turn signal is what I have been told.

"If you want to realize how inattentive you are as a driver, ride a motorcycle."

Offline ☠ Jax ☯

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • ☠ Jax ☯'s Gallery
  • HEY YOU GUYSSSS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1989 Suzuki Katana 600
  • Years Riding: 5 years
« Reply #25 on: 06/25/08 01:05PM »
I believe, and someone that really understands it can reply, but it is from center of one signal to the center of the other one must be 9 inches apart.

[ () ]==[Brake light]==[ () ]
   |__________________|
   9 inches (or 9 1/2 inches) apart.

Offline krgdesigns

« Reply #26 on: 06/25/08 01:07PM »
From one turn signal to the other

Offline Quickie ツ

• a "quickie" is anything under 2 hours
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Quickie ツ's Gallery
  • its spelled 'Justen'
    • View Profile
    • Quickie
  • Bike: K7 GSXR 1000
« Reply #27 on: 06/25/08 01:12PM »
lol just buy a gsxr as was stated. though they do try to measure even those. ohh and dont put your license plate where mine is if you want to survive in HB. for that matter even the asshole CHP officer gave me shit for it today, he wrote that on the ticket as well

Offline Ride Moar!

• 749cc
  • Ride Moar!'s Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08Honda CBR1000rr, 09 YamahaFZ1
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #28 on: 05/13/09 12:24AM »
YUP! need those little Red reflectors on the back. Also someone asked about flush mounts in front?  they are a no-go as well.  I got lit up by HB's finest tonight.  No rear red reflector, flush mounted front turn signals, non-DOT spec rear turnsignals (they're 9 inches apart too!! I guess they aren't big enough. I dunno.)and the dude didn't like my light on my plate, but he didn't say anything after I told him I already got that signed off by CHP after a previous ticket for it.

yeah, HB is harsh.  I work there, have to drive through it, and have gotten pulled over three times for bs stuff. 

Offline icruz90620

• I Ride 2 Enjoy The Ride, Not Ride To Die
  • 749cc
  • icruz90620's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 BMW K1200S 2005 BMW R1200RT
  • Years Riding: A Little Over Four Years
« Reply #29 on: 05/13/09 02:40AM »
I agree HB is strickt I remember when I had my 01 GSX-r750 with the fender eliminator kit, they pulled me over in HB and only in HB for that. they gave me a bunch of tickets and just ended up putting it back to stock so I didn't have to put up with all the hassel.

Offline !Mid Cities!

« Reply #30 on: 05/13/09 06:08AM »
Tomb raiders strike again lol.

Offline HotwiRe

• Hotwire
  • 749cc
  • HotwiRe's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: GSX-R
  • Years Riding: April 2009
« Reply #31 on: 01/02/10 12:46PM »
I believe, and someone that really understands it can reply, but it is from center of one signal to the center of the other one must be 9 inches apart.

|__________________|

I do believe that the law is as follows:

|__________________|
   6 inches apart

I only say this is because if each blinker has to be 3.5 sq in then the center is about 1.75 inches and 1.75+6+1.75= 9.5 inches which is considered legal.

And I think I read this somewhere listing cvc codes and laws about this bs crap we get pulled over for

996ducb

« Reply #32 on: 01/02/10 01:21PM »
I got pulled over twice in the same month by the same cop for that!  Two thumbs down for HBPD

Offline HotwiRe

• Hotwire
  • 749cc
  • HotwiRe's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01/02/10 01:24PM »
I got pulled over twice in the same month by the same cop for that!  Two thumbs down for HBPD

Lol did he ticket you the 1st time and let you go the 2nd or what?

996ducb

« Reply #34 on: 01/02/10 01:34PM »
Nope ticket both times. And he chuckled about the second one. No wonder HB is.on the top ten list for being rich.

Offline Don

• Just Don.
  • Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Don's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6 Charcoal Grey
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #35 on: 01/02/10 05:17PM »

|__________________|

I do believe that the law is as follows:

|__________________|
   6 inches apart

I only say this is because if each blinker has to be 3.5 sq in then the center is about 1.75 inches and 1.75+6+1.75= 9.5 inches which is considered legal.

And I think I read this somewhere listing cvc codes and laws about this bs crap we get pulled over for

It is 9" from center to center of turn signal; as stated by almost everyone in this thread.  Saying "I do believe", is just another way of saying "I don't know".  And there is never a good reason to say "I don't know" when online as Google is only a mouse click away.  :7:

Vital information highlighted
Table III--Required Motor Vehicle Lighting Equipment
  [All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses and Trailers of Less
                                    Than 80 (2032) Inches (mm) Overall Width]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                               Applicable SAE
                                   Passenger cars,                                              standard or
                                    multipurpose                                            recommended practice
             Item                passenger vehicles,       Trailers         Motorcycles         (See S5 for
                                  trucks, and buses                                          subreferenced SAE
                                                                                                 materials)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Headlamps.....................  See S7..............  None.............  See S7.9........  J566 January 1960.
Taillamps.....................  2 red...............  2 red............  1 red...........  J585e, September
                                                                                            1977.
Stoplamps.....................  2 red...............  2 red............  1 red...........  SAE J586, February
                                                                                            1984.
High-mounted stoplamp.........  1 red...............  Not required.....  Not required....  J186a, September
                                                                                            1977.
License plate lamp............  1 white.............  1 white..........  1 white.........  J587, October 1981.
Parking lamps.................  2 amber or white....  None.............  None............  J222, December 1970.
Reflex reflectors.............  4 red; 2 amber......  4 red; 2 amber...  3 red; 2 amber..  J594f, January 1977.
Intermediate side reflex        2 amber.............  2 amber..........  None............  J594f, January 1977.
 reflectors.
Intermediate side marker lamps  2 amber.............  2 amber..........  None............  J592e, July 1972.
Side marker lamps.............  2 red; 2 amber......  2 red; 2 amber...  None............  J592e, July 1972.
Backup lamp...................  1 white.............  None.............  None............  J593c, February 1968.
Turn signal lamps.............  2 red or amber; 2     2 red or amber...  2 amber; 2 red    SAE J588, November
                                 amber.                                   or amber.         1984.
Turn signal operating unit.     1...................  None.............  1...............  J589, April 1964.
 \3,4\.
Turn signal flasher...........  1...................  None.............  1...............  J590b, October 1965.
Vehicular hazard warning        1...................  None.............  None............  J910, January 1966.
 signal operating unit.
Vehicular hazard warning        1...................  None.............  None............  J945, February 1966.
 signal flasher.

Table IV--Location of Required Equipment
  [All Passenger Cars and Motorcycles, and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers, and Buses of Less
                                    than 80 (2032) Inches (MM) Overall Width]
                                                         Location on--
                                    ------------------------------------------------------   Height above road
                                         Passenger cars,                                   surface measured from
                Item                  multipurpose passenger                                 center of item on
                                        vehicles, trucks,             Motorcycles             vehicle at curb
                                       trailers, and buses                                         weight
Headlamps..........................  On the front, each       See S7.9...................  Not less than 22
                                      headlamp providing the                                inches (55.9 cm) nor
                                      lower beam, at the                                    more than 54 inches
                                      same height, 1 on each                                (137.2 cm).
                                      side of the vertical
                                      centerline, each
                                      headlamp providing the
                                      upper beam, at the
                                      same height, 1 on each
                                      side of the vertical
                                      center-line, as far
                                      apart as practicable.
                                      See also S7.
Taillamps..........................  On the rear--1 on each   On the rear--on the          Not less than 15
                                      side of the vertical     vertical centerline except   inches, nor more
                                      centerline, at the       that if two are used, they   than 72 inches.
                                      same height, and as      shall be symmetrically
                                      far apart as             disposed about the
                                      practicable.             vertical centerline.
Stoplamps..........................  On the rear--1 on each   On the rear--on the          Not less than 15
                                      side of the vertical     vertical centerline except   inches, nor more
                                      centerline, at the       that if two are used, they   than 72 inches.
                                      same height, and as      shall be symmetrically
                                      far apart as             disposed about the
                                      practicable.             vertical centerline.
High-mounted stoplamp..............  On the rear, on the      Not required...............  See S5.3.1.8 for
                                      vertical centerline                                   passenger cars. Not
                                      [See S5.1.1.27,                                       less than 34 inches
                                      S5.3.1.8, and Table                                   for multipurpose
                                      III], effective                                       passenger vehicles,
                                      September 1, 1985, for                                trucks, and buses.
                                      passenger cars only.

[[Page 353]]

License plate lamp.................  At rear license plate,   At rear license plate......  No requirement.
                                      to illuminate the
                                      plate from the top or
                                      sides.
Parking lamps......................  On the front--1 on each  Not required...............  Not less than 15
                                      side of the vertical                                  inches, nor more
                                      centerline, at the                                    than 72 inches.
                                      same height, and as
                                      far apart as
                                      practicable.
Reflex reflectors..................  On the rear--1 red on    On the rear--1 red on the    Not less than 15
                                      each side of the         vertical centerline except   inches, nor more
                                      vertical centerline,     that, if two are used on     than 60 inches.
                                      at the same height,      the rear, they shall be
                                      and as far apart as      symmetrically disposed
                                      practicable.             about the vertical
                                                               centerline.
                                     On each side--1 red as   On each side--1 red as far
                                      far to the rear as       to the rear as
                                      practicable, and 1       practicable, and 1 amber
                                      amber as far to the      as far to the front as
                                      front as practicable.    practicable.
Backup lamp........................  On the rear............  Not required...............  No requirement.
Turn signal lamps..................  At or near the front--1  At or near the front--1      Not less than 15
                                      amber on each side of    amber on each side of the    inches, nor more
                                      the vertical             vertical centerline at the   than 83 inches.
                                      centerline, at the       same height, and having a
                                      same height, and as      minimum horizontal
                                      far apart as             separation distance
                                      practicable.             (centerline of lamps) of
                                     On the rear--1 red or     16 inches. Minimum edge to
                                      amber on each side of    edge separation distance
                                      the vertical             between lamp and headlamp
                                      centerline, at the       is 4 inches.
                                      same height, and as     At or near the rear--1 red
                                      far apart as             or amber on each side of
                                      practicable.             the vertical centerline,
                                                               at the same height and
                                                               having a minimum
                                                               horizontal separation
                                                               distance (centerline to
                                                               centerline of lamps) of 9
                                                               inches. Minimum edge to
                                                               edge separation distance
                                                               between lamp and tail or
                                                               stop lamp is 4-inches,
                                                               when a single stop and
                                                               taillamp is installed on
                                                               the vertical centerline
                                                               and the turn signal lamps
                                                               are red..

Side marker lamps..................  On each side--1 red as   Not required...............  Not less than 15
                                      far to the rear as                                    inches.
                                      practicable, and 1
                                      amber as far to the
                                      front as practicable.
Intermediate side marker lamps.....  On each side--1 amber    Not required...............  Not less than 15
                                      located at or near the                                inches.
                                      midpoint between the
                                      front and rear side
                                      marker lamps.
Intermediate side marker reflectors  On each side--1 amber    Not required...............  Not less than 15
                                      located at or near the                                inches, nor more
                                      midpoint between the                                  than 60 inches.
                                      front and rear side
                                      marker reflectors.
Note: (1) The term overall width refers to the nominal design dimension of the widest part of the vehicle,
  exclusive of signal lamps, marker lamps, outside rearview mirrors, flexible fender extensions, and mud flaps,
  determine with doors and windows closed, and the wheels in the straight-ahead position.
This supersedes the interpretation of the term ``overall width'' appearing in the Federal Register of March 1,
  1967 (32 FR 3390).
(2) Paragraph S3.1 and Tables I and III of Sec.571.108 as amended (32 FR 18033, Dec. 16, 1967), specify that
  certain lamp assemblies shall conform to applicable SAE Standards. Each of these basically referenced
  standards subreferences both SAE Standard J575 (tests for motor vehicle lighting devices and components) which
  in turn references SAE Standard J573 on bulbs, and SAE Standard J567 on bulb sockets.
(3) Paragraph C of SAE Standard J575 states in part: ``Where special bulbs are specified, they should be
  submitted with the devices and the same or similar bulbs used in the tests and operated at their rated mean
  spherical candlepower.'' The Administrator has determined that this provision of SAE Standard J575 permits the
  use of special bulbs, including tubular-type bulbs, which do not conform to the detailed requirements of Table
  I of SAE Standard J573. It follows that the sockets for special bulbs need not conform to the detailed
  requirements of SAE Standard J567. These provisions for special bulbs in no way except the lamp assemblies
  from meeting all performance requirements specified in Federal Standard No. 108, including those specified in
  the basically referenced SAE Standards, and in the subreferenced SAE Standard J575.

« Last Edit: 01/02/10 05:42PM by Don »

"If you want to realize how inattentive you are as a driver, ride a motorcycle."

Offline HotwiRe

• Hotwire
  • 749cc
  • HotwiRe's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01/02/10 11:30PM »
Well then I stand corrected.... but oh well mine arent dot approved.

Offline mxracer95

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • mxracer95's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Impact Racing
  • Bike: GSXR 750, R6, YZ-125, KTM 530 EXC
  • Years Riding: 20+
« Reply #37 on: 01/07/10 08:57PM »
The CVC does not require DOT approved turn signals.
- 2013 GSX-R750 Commuter
- 2013 GSX-R750 Stunt bike
- 2013 GSX-R750 Cannonball bike
- 2012 GSX-R750 [have you seen me? :(  ]
- 2014 YZF-R6 (MotoAmerica/WERA #195) - Race Bike
- 2014 YZF-R6 AMA Club race bike
- 2009 KTM 530 EXC - Supermoto
- 2004 YZ 125 (#95)

Offline Andy

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Andy's Gallery
  • God created Ducati to train the faithful.
    • View Profile
    • Two Slow OC
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Years Riding: 12
« Reply #38 on: 01/07/10 09:33PM »
The CVC does not require DOT approved turn signals.

are you sure about that?

CVC 26103.  (a) The department may adopt and enforce regulations establishing standards and specifications for lighting equipment listed in Section 375 and for safety belts, safety glazing material, safety helmets, sirens, tire traction devices, bunk stakes, and synthetic binders. The standards and specifications may include installation and aiming requirements.

(b) If there exists a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard adopted pursuant to the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C. 1381 et seq.) covering the same aspect of performance of a device, the provisions of that standard shall prevail over provisions of this code or regulations adopted pursuant to this code. Lamps, devices, and equipment certified by the manufacturer to meet applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards as original equipment on new vehicles and the identical replacements for those items need not be certified to the department.

FMVSS 571.108 relates to lamps and indicators which Don quoted above.

My interpretation is that CVC doesn't require it because DOT/NHTSA does and California capitulates to the federal regulation.

Offline danielleighlobato

• Super Chicken!!!
  • 125cc
  • danielleighlobato's Gallery
  • VVVVRRRRRRRMMMMMM
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 98 VTR1000F Current; 01 Kawai ZX7R SOLD; 01 Yamaha YZF600R RIP, 91 FZR600 SOLD
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #39 on: 04/07/10 08:18AM »
HB is horrible for that crap. couple years ago when I lived in the area. I recieved the same chicken sh!t ticket.  Turn signals not far enough apart.  2 DAYS LATER, same cop gives me the same freaking ticket, and then to top it off, plays dumb with me, "I've never seen you around here", I even showed him the previous ticket, and he still played dumb.
I ride like everyone driving a car is a knuckle head :)

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 62 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook