Topic: winch assisted motorcycle loading?  (Read 8809 times)

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
winch assisted motorcycle loading?
« on: 12/09/12 04:25PM »
saw this: winch assisted motorcycle loading -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znM7ZPONGow

cliff notes: buy a 2000lb winch from harbor freight for $80, wireless remote for $25 a soft loop strap from harbor freight for $10, let the winch pull your bike as you slowly guide it

I want to do this, except I would put the winch on the floor of the bed so I can still use my bed cover...any problem with a winch cable dragging against a tailgate?

would the cable fray and break?

good? bad? genius?

Todd - can you help me install this in the F150?
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

mbstr

Re: winch assisted motorcycle loading?
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/12 04:28PM »
Sounds like fun, I drink Bud Light! :29:

mbstr

« Reply #2 on: 12/09/12 05:05PM »
Thinking if you mount it on the bed once you get it up th ramp it will be binding pulling down at that angle, Maybe build a vetricle arm that mounts to the bed on a base plate thats portable. That way its not always in the way as you have limited room with the natural gas tank already! Or make a plate that mounts on the lip of your bed below the rear window Maybe $30:00 to $50:00 for some 2" square tubing and steel plate, Maybe get one of my brother Ironworkers to pick me up some scrap on the job. We can weld it up here!
« Last Edit: 12/09/12 05:23PM by mbstr »

Offline Mud

« Reply #3 on: 12/09/12 05:14PM »
What are you guys loading on a truck that 2 people can't load?

mbstr

« Reply #4 on: 12/09/12 05:26PM »
I just like building stuff! :32:

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #5 on: 12/09/12 05:46PM »
 Having a toyota and a big ford , i like a small trailer about 12-15 inches high with a chock up ft - a true one man load .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Offline winters

• 599cc
  • winters's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: KTM 950SM, Duc 749S, CRF450SM, 1200 sportster
  • Years Riding: 17
« Reply #6 on: 12/09/12 06:04PM »
I work in the film production industry...  On shoots all the various departments live off rolling carts, many of which weigh more than a bike.  Over the years I've seen many winch + ramp into van/truck DIY builds, all of which work great.

However, with a bike, assuming it's a running bike, why not walk the bike up the ramp while slipping the clutch?  I've done this for years solo, without incident.  Just be sure to secure the ramp to rear bumper with a strap, so it doesn't slide out.

mbstr

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/12 06:06PM »
He has a full size p\u with big tires and like me is not a big guy. It seems whenever I need to transport my bike theres no one around, If built portable and easy to mount it would be useful in some situations. But again, I just like building stuff!

mbstr

« Reply #8 on: 12/09/12 06:09PM »
I work in the film production industry...  On shoots all the various departments live off rolling carts, many of which weigh more than a bike.  Over the years I've seen many winch + ramp into van/truck DIY builds, all of which work great.

However, with a bike, assuming it's a running bike, why not walk the bike up the ramp while slipping the clutch?  I've done this for years solo, without incident.  Just be sure to secure the ramp to rear bumper with a strap, so it doesn't slide out.
I have a ATV ramp, Thats how I do it also but unloading by yourself still sucks!

Offline winters

• 599cc
  • winters's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: KTM 950SM, Duc 749S, CRF450SM, 1200 sportster
  • Years Riding: 17
« Reply #9 on: 12/09/12 06:12PM »
I'm all for building stuff... I have a F350 and use a "apple box" (more film gear) as a step up so I can walk (drive) the bike into the bed.  Unloading with the front brake.   And I still need to backup to an incline to step from ground, to apple box, to bed.

Apple box - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=99401&is=REG&A=details&Q=

mbstr

« Reply #10 on: 12/09/12 06:23PM »
 Tranporting street bikes is always scary, 99% of scratches on my bike are from transport or moving it around the frkn garage.
« Last Edit: 12/09/12 06:27PM by mbstr »

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #11 on: 12/09/12 06:30PM »
On the floor of the bed, the winch will likely drag especially when the bike is at the foot of the ramp.  If the edge of your ramp overlaps the edge of your bed it may just rub on that, but if it has a sharp lip you can buy a rubber edge protector that can be applied with adhesive to protect the cable from fraying.
Every day is ride to work day!

mbstr

« Reply #12 on: 12/09/12 06:57PM »
Once the bike is on the bed the cable will come to a 45 degree angle or more and impede on the front fender and wheel,  Winch must be elevated or its a recepe for disaster! :36:
« Last Edit: 12/09/12 07:02PM by mbstr »

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #13 on: 12/09/12 07:07PM »
Good point.  With the investment you're putting in of $115 plus the potential hazards of loading into a pickup bed solo, if you've already got a trailer hitch on your truck, you can buy a 4' x 8' utility trailer for about $300 at Harbor Freight, modify it for motorcycle duty with a wheel chock(s), a 3/4" sheet of MDF, and some eye hooks for another $100 or so and load your bike in confidently with a trailer that has a deck height of 10" or so.  No scratches, no winch needed, and you'll have plenty of room in the bed of the truck to line it with tarp and use as a hot tub!  O0   
Every day is ride to work day!

mbstr

« Reply #14 on: 12/09/12 07:27PM »
Apt wth no garage, Im Currently  storing his dirt bikes. Blavech is working hard long hours n saving his ass off so he can marry his sweety, YOU GO DUDE!!!! :27:

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12/10/12 02:29PM »
yep, Todd's got my story straight...

I've dropped my FZR about 4 times trying to load it...one time I clutched it too much, it shot forward, crashed into the front of the bed and fell sideways...another time it shot out the ramp underneath me, another time, I lost momentum halfway, revved the bike, did a burnout and the bike slid off the side of the ramp, another time I lost momentum halfway, lost balance and watched 450lbs of newly faired 1995 Yamaha go 4 feet straight into the pavement :(

I'm not too worried about the front fender of the bike, because I could just put a canyon dancer bar harness (with the CUPS...not the straps on the grips) on the bars and the cabling would clear the fairings and the fender

I think this can be done!!

but yeah, I street park, so no trailer...and I always load/unload when nobody's around...I'd like to do be able to do it myself.

Offline FlyingScotsman

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FlyingScotsman's Gallery
  • Auto Club Speeway 29Aug
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 R1 Blue
  • Years Riding: 20 YEARS

Offline RickRacer

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RickRacer's Gallery
  • Winner - 2013 Summer Odometer Challenge ;)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '08 Triumph Sprint ST 1050, '97 CBR 900RR, '88 Yamaha FZ750
  • Years Riding: 46 years

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12/30/12 10:41PM »
http://loadallmotorcycleramps.com/index.html

:26:

very cool! but for $1,800-$2,200...that's over double what my bike is worth!

I'm looking for a low-cost option that allows me to keep my bed cover when I'm not using the winch (hence why those pickup truck cranes won't work, but thanks though)

budget ~$150 = winch, mounted in the bed, and wireless remote control

Offline Infidel R6

• 599cc
  • Infidel R6's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 R6 anniversary yellow
  • Years Riding: 2 years
« Reply #19 on: 12/30/12 10:54PM »
A small roller on the edge or just use chafing gear to keep the cable safe. Nylon cable is always my preference but just my opinion. Good luck.
no more stoppies for me.

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 52 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything