Topic: burn marks on clutch disc and flywheel - 94 celica gt  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Jason1000

Hi everyone--
I got a lot of burn marks on both the plate of the clutch and the flywheel. The clutch is Competition Clutch Stage 2. The flywheel is stock; resurfaced when clutch was installed. I had the clutch less than a year and put less than 10K on it. I drove it pretty easy, and did not abuse it. Not sure what caused it. I'm getting the engine rebuilt, that's why I saw my clutch out.
So my questions?

Do I have them just put the clutch back in? Will those burn marks hurt anything?

I also have the stock clutch I can have them put back. If so, use the competition clutch brand pressure plate or the stock one?

photos of stock clutch i have

Thank you

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
Re: burn marks on clutch disc and flywheel - 94 celica gt
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/12 05:25PM »
  The stock one looks to be a softer style clutch , makes for a better ,even wear, the other is a heavy style which loads more pressure faster  . I  would turn the flywhell and just buy a softer or OEM  style stuff . The heavy duty with bent fingers work real good .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Offline Dirty Monkey

• 599cc
  • Dirty Monkey's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2005 Triumph Daytona 650 RED! 2003 TTR 125 Supermoto
  • Years Riding: 1 season
« Reply #2 on: 12/09/12 06:01PM »
The flywheel has normal marks, no one drives a manual transmission car perfect.

Offline Mulholland760

• 125cc
  • Mulholland760's Gallery
  • 4 Wheels Move the Body, 2 Wheels Move the Soul.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Suzuki GSX-R 600
  • Years Riding: Longer than I've been driving.
« Reply #3 on: 12/10/12 10:33AM »
Normal wear patter for the setup you've got installed. Have the flywheel turned again while you have it out and don't expect a performance clutch to last as long as OEM. Fun stuff :)

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #4 on: 12/10/12 11:04AM »
^^^ Good advice.  If you don't mind replacing your clutch in another 90k or so miles, stick with the performance clutch.  However, if you're just commuting in your car and not hitting the dragstrip or autocrossing, stock will probably suit your needs better.  The burn marks might be indicative of uneven engagement.  You might have even felt it while you were letting the pedal out.  If you've got a hydraulic clutch, you might was well have them rebuild that as well.  Good luck! 
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Jason1000

« Reply #5 on: 12/10/12 02:19PM »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the comments. I was about to drive to San Diego to deliver the stock clutch, then I read the comments and turned right back around. I didn't want the fun to stop just yet. hahahahaha

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook