Topic: License Plate Fix-It Ticket  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Stiffler

• 50cc
  • Stiffler's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 208 Street Bob
  • Years Riding: 10-years on street
License Plate Fix-It Ticket
« on: 12/16/12 04:19PM »
Today I received a fix-it ticket for improper display of license plate on the PCH. The license plate is located in front of the rear tire. Does anyone know of a simple fix to pass inspection? I purchased the bike like this and do not have the original fender. Will the inspection place check to see if the license plate light is operable? Does anyone know of an inspection station that tends not to be as strict? All input is greatly appreciated.

Offline YellowFire

• 749cc
  • YellowFire's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: (RIP) 04 yamaha r1 08 CBR 1000RR
Re: License Plate Fix-It Ticket
« Reply #1 on: 12/16/12 04:40PM »
chp stations dont charge for fix it ticket sign off... your plate doesnt look like its that bad on position, but it does need a license plate light and red reflectors that are visible from 50 ft.  have someone sit on the bike that weights the same as you and stand behind it, if you can completely see the plate from the same level as if you were sitting in a car then you should be good.

Offline Stiffler

• 50cc
  • Stiffler's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/16/12 04:51PM »
It has a license plate light on it now, but the way the wiring is setup I wont be able to move the light, when I change the plate position.  Since the violation is only for the plate, will they check for other fender related violations?   

Offline YellowFire

• 749cc
  • YellowFire's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: (RIP) 04 yamaha r1 08 CBR 1000RR
« Reply #3 on: 12/16/12 04:54PM »
take it to a chp station as is and say that your moved it up... like i said it doesnt look like its being blocked by the tire and looks visible.  the worst that can happen is that they wont sign it off.

Offline Stiffler

• 50cc
  • Stiffler's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/16/12 04:55PM »
Ok sounds good, thanks for the info.

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
« Reply #5 on: 12/16/12 05:19PM »
Legally the plate is supposed to be at the rearmost part of the bike.  And with a light and reflector.  I got the same kind of ticket a few years back, coincidentally on the same kind of bike.  I fixed it correctly, fabricating a small bracket that fit under the muffler clamp (Two Brothers pipe) and attaching the plate to the bracket.  I don't know if a similar setup would work with your dual cans.  I took it to the Anaheim PD station on Santa Ana Canyon Rd near Weir Canyon.  After all the trouble I went to, the nice lady behind the counter signed off my paperwork without even walking outside to look at it.  Your results may vary.

Offline Parc Ferme

« Reply #6 on: 12/16/12 05:24PM »
from what i can recall, the plate must be behind and above the rear axle, be illuminated, and have reflectors facing rear and sideways.

will you need all that to get it signed off?  depends on if someone actually goes out and looks at your vehicle.

i've had fix it tickets before for various things throughout the years and only one time did someone actually come out and look at the vehicle and that was at brea pd hq.
hubcap diamond star halo girl lord flatbed ford beans heart fart

Offline h2opoloplyr_11

• 749cc
  • h2opoloplyr_11's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1970's Suzuki RM250, 1997 Kawi zx7-r, 2001 Kawi zx6-r, 2003 Yamaha R1.
  • Years Riding: Just for a minute....
« Reply #7 on: 12/16/12 06:12PM »
Buddy got busted for the same exact thing. Cops around beach cities (especially the ones on motos) are let's say, bored and always gets a rider or two.

But anywho, my buddy just took it to the Westminster chp and have them check it out. Said it was fine. And his was tucked way under the seat.

new sig by h2opoloplyr_11, on Flickr

Offline Stiffler

• 50cc
  • Stiffler's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/16/12 06:36PM »
Thanks for all of the info guys, really appreciate it.  :49:

mbstr

« Reply #9 on: 12/16/12 06:42PM »
And we were talking today about Newport and HB cops, Go figure eh? :22:

Offline Stiffler

• 50cc
  • Stiffler's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/16/12 06:59PM »
And we were talking today about Newport and HB cops, Go figure eh? :22:

Yea no kidding, and it ended up being Laguna PD lol

xenadogs

« Reply #11 on: 12/16/12 07:21PM »
Today I received a fix-it ticket for improper display of license plate on the PCH. The license plate is located in front of the rear tire. Does anyone know of a simple fix to pass inspection? I purchased the bike like this and do not have the original fender. Will the inspection place check to see if the license plate light is operable? Does anyone know of an inspection station that tends not to be as strict? All input is greatly appreciated.
[/quote
Do you have police officer friends? Let's assume you do. Give your friend the ticket, when he or she goes to work they stamp it off at the station. You mail the ticket in with a check for the cost of the fine. It works for me.

Offline Repsol Joe

• 998cc
  • Repsol Joe's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Honda Repsol
  • Years Riding: Over 25 years dirt. Street on and off since 02
« Reply #12 on: 12/16/12 07:43PM »
That officer must of been a real dick head, I don't see why that would be a problem where it is placed if it is clearly visible. It's not on the rear fender where they are stock but its visible . That's that about where mine is also. You should take it to a cop as is and say like you moved it up like was said before. I doubt they will even check though, clerks at Westminster don't bother looking and just stamp it that it was corrected after you pay and they move on to the next person. They don't care either way I'm sure

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #13 on: 12/16/12 09:08PM »
Ok so what were you doing that he wrote you up for that? I don't even have a plate and have never been written up for it...
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

mbstr

« Reply #14 on: 12/16/12 09:30PM »
Hell I never even saw the cop, We were just cruisin as it was wet and always busy thru there. We were splitting lanes though!

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #15 on: 12/16/12 09:32PM »
How fast was traffic moving and how fast were you moving?
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline 1198klr

• 749cc
  • 1198klr's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 CBR 600 RR / 2009 YZF-R1 / 2010 1198
  • Years Riding: 19 Years
« Reply #16 on: 12/16/12 09:43PM »
5200 (b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

Here is your guidance on positioning your license plate.  And based on your photo your license plate isn't anywhere near the rear of the bike.

~JM
Common Sense is uncommon.

mbstr

« Reply #17 on: 12/16/12 09:48PM »
Not exactly sure where he got nailed. It was past down town!

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #18 on: 12/16/12 10:22PM »
1198 the law for motorcycles is it has to be behind the halfway point of your tire, which it is not. But cops really don't care as long as it is visible. You pretty much have to give attitude or be doing something pretty dumb for them to ticket you when your plate is visible as fuq haha.

The only time I got a ticket for license plate was my old bike and I was splitting lanes faster than I should have been. My current bike doesn't have a plate and have been pulled over 3 times without a plate and never issued a ticket. So for a cop to ticket you for a easily visible plate I'm curious what else you were doing or how you acted towards the cop to get a ticket  :26:

Offline Stiffler

• 50cc
  • Stiffler's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12/16/12 10:35PM »
1198 the law for motorcycles is it has to be behind the halfway point of your tire, which it is not. But cops really don't care as long as it is visible. You pretty much have to give attitude or be doing something pretty dumb for them to ticket you when your plate is visible as fuq haha.

The only time I got a ticket for license plate was my old bike and I was splitting lanes faster than I should have been. My current bike doesn't have a plate and have been pulled over 3 times without a plate and never issued a ticket. So for a cop to ticket you for a easily visible plate I'm curious what else you were doing or how you acted towards the cop to get a ticket  :26:

Nope, he came first stated," Do you know why I stopped you?" I replied "no." He then told me "I didn't stop you for any moving violations, however your license plate is not clearly visible, and that's a pet peeve of mine, since some of you guys like to take off on us." After he ran my info and came back with the ticket, he said," Thanks for being co-operative, you seem like a nice guy, I'd rather you'd been a jerk, because it makes my job easier." He did appear to have an explorer or some type of ride along though.

@mbster: It was near the Husky Boy Burger

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 60 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook