Topic: Lane Splitting Guidelines by CHP  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Stiffler

• 50cc
  • Stiffler's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 208 Street Bob
  • Years Riding: 10-years on street
Lane Splitting Guidelines by CHP
« on: 03/08/13 03:09PM »
I havn't seen these guidelines posted before by the CHP, and though I would share them.  Yes, they're still guidelines, but given that these are from the CHP, they essentially outline what will keep you in good standing with LEO's, and what will definitely get you a ticket.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Offline Israel Torres

• \_(ツ)_/
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Israel Torres's Gallery
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Ninja 300 ABS/SE
  • Years Riding: 5 Years
Re: Lane Splitting Guidelines by CHP
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/13 03:26PM »
I just wish there were commercials for this for the average citizens to consume and become aware... without a cartoony 30 second PSA no one is going to bother to read the guide except us!  :20:

Offline Stiffler

• 50cc
  • Stiffler's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 208 Street Bob
  • Years Riding: 10-years on street
« Reply #2 on: 03/08/13 03:40PM »
Lol yeah, they have them for the riders like "If you don't fit, don't split," so why not for the cagers?

Offline Pnoy

• 125cc
  • Pnoy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Gixxer 600
  • Years Riding: 5 years
« Reply #3 on: 03/08/13 05:32PM »
I just wish there were commercials for this for the average citizens to consume and become aware... without a cartoony 30 second PSA no one is going to bother to read the guide except us!  :20:

I think they had a couple commercials regarding being aware of motorcycles, but nothing worth remembering....they should be more creative in that aspect...cartoons or get a celebrity to say something :8:

Offline venomenon83

« Reply #4 on: 03/08/13 05:51PM »
 :7: great post, thanks.

Offline sh0tgun

• 749cc
  • sh0tgun's Gallery
  • couldnt fix your brakes so i made your horn louder
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 GSX-R1000
  • Years Riding: squid status ;)
« Reply #5 on: 03/08/13 09:56PM »
Thought lane sharing was illegal.. I'm gna book mark this on my phn and show some cops if I get pulled over for that
Only motorcycle riders understand why a dog sticks his head out of the window while your driving

Offline Andy

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Andy's Gallery
  • God created Ducati to train the faithful.
    • View Profile
    • Two Slow OC
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Years Riding: 12
« Reply #6 on: 03/08/13 10:14PM »
Thought lane sharing was illegal.. I'm gna book mark this on my phn and show some cops if I get pulled over for that

lane sharing isn't illegal, but there's also no CVC section that defines it.  When you're ticketed for a violation you're ticketed for something else:  driving in the shoulder, passing on the right, unsafe lane change, unsafe speed, et al, ad nauseum.

Offline sh0tgun

• 749cc
  • sh0tgun's Gallery
  • couldnt fix your brakes so i made your horn louder
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 GSX-R1000
  • Years Riding: squid status ;)
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/13 10:18PM »
No wonder! He said specifically I was sharing lanes and I was passing on the right... I was like, wth does that mean... Ty for the clarification
Only motorcycle riders understand why a dog sticks his head out of the window while your driving

Offline Israel Torres

• \_(ツ)_/
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Israel Torres's Gallery
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Ninja 300 ABS/SE
  • Years Riding: 5 Years
« Reply #8 on: 03/09/13 05:43AM »
I was passing on the right... I was like, wth does that mean...

I had to look up what passing on the right meant myself here it is for everyone else from the DMV:

V C Section 21754 Passing on the Right

Passing on the Right

21754.  The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.

(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.

(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.

(d) Upon a one-way street.

(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.

The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

Amended Sec. 39, Ch. 491, Stats. 2010. Effective January 1, 2011.

Offline karmazon

« Reply #9 on: 06/15/13 10:09AM »
Is it legal to lane split on a single lane road? I was stuck in san juan capistrano in a very slow moving traffic and my air cooled bike probably didn't like it, but I wasn't sure whether it would be legal for me to ride to the front.

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #10 on: 06/15/13 10:37AM »
Technically no. I believe they may consider that reckless driving, depending on the 5.0 you're dealing with.

Offline blamecanada

« Reply #11 on: 06/15/13 08:49PM »
Is it legal to lane split on a single lane road? I was stuck in san juan capistrano in a very slow moving traffic and my air cooled bike probably didn't like it, but I wasn't sure whether it would be legal for me to ride to the front.

If you fit in the same lane as the cars on the left side, then it isn't illegal

Offline karmazon

« Reply #12 on: 06/16/13 02:04PM »
Two replies, two different answers, I think I'm gonna have to call the police station.

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #13 on: 06/16/13 07:54PM »
Two replies, two different answers, I think I'm gonna have to call the police station.

I had read what I mentioned in an article sometime back, so it wasn't directly from the horses mouth. I am sure the call to CHP will provide a clear answer.

AlilCrazy

« Reply #14 on: 08/09/13 09:09AM »

I was recently pulled over and the police officer told me that as long as you are sharing the lane with other cars and not on the shoulder, then it is OK. But, I suspect as other posters have stated that this depends on the officer's perception.

Offline karmazon

« Reply #15 on: 08/09/13 09:32AM »

I was recently pulled over and the police officer told me that as long as you are sharing the lane with other cars and not on the shoulder, then it is OK. But, I suspect as other posters have stated that this depends on the officer's perception.

Thank you!

HBguy

« Reply #16 on: 08/09/13 12:35PM »
In general, if they think you were unsafe, you will be flagged.   Thats the bottom line.  Like other traffic tickets, its 99% on how much you stand out or blend in.

Ive gotten speeding tickets in rush hour traffic and ive clocked myself in the 90s splitting lanes and have a chp warn me without evwn pulling me over.

If you still dont get it, you should definitely not do it.   Youre between cars, not fluffy pillows or lipstick lesbians.

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 58 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook