Topic: Key won't unlock on 07 CBR600  (Read 2034 times)

Offline JohnnyZero

• 998cc
  • JohnnyZero's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: Since 04/21/07
Key won't unlock on 07 CBR600
« on: 03/26/13 06:35PM »
Made three small trips today and each time I turned it off, locked and then turned on successfully.  On the fourth trip I could not unlock it.  Ended up having it towed back to my place to figure it out.

The key will depress down but it will not turn to unlock the front.
I have tried wiggling the bar ends before, during, and after turning the key.
Read on some other forum about covering the key with graphite and working it in and I couldn't succeed with that method either.

Haven't found anything else on forums yet; someone impart some wisdom on me please.

Offline SUPERCHICKEN

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • SUPERCHICKEN's Gallery
  • GO SUPER CHICKEN
    • View Profile
  • Bike: HONDA VTR1000F
  • Years Riding: 10
Re: Key won't unlock on 07 CBR600
« Reply #1 on: 03/26/13 06:39PM »
Put a drop of oil in the chamber see if that works

Go go chicken
its easier to add horse power than it is to lose weight

Offline The Stig

« Reply #2 on: 03/26/13 06:40PM »
I had a similar problem. For me it was the tumbler that was frozen. Graphite won't do the trick. You need to unfreeze the tumbler. Squirt a little WD40 into it, not into the keyhole but around the edge where the tumbler turns. Give that a moment to work its magic then try again. You may have to wiggle the key a couple of times before it frees up.

Something worth noting here... this is exactly the sort of job that WD40 is good at. However after you're done you can't count on the WD40 to lubricate the tumbler. You'll still need to add something after the WD40 evaporates. That graphite you've got on you should do the trick.
Owning a liter bike is like owning a pet tiger. If you know it's a tiger and you treat it like it's a tiger you'll probably be OK. If you start treating it like a house cat then it will likely maul you, possibly to death.

Offline Day6

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Day6's Gallery
  • unZunDunR
    • View Profile
  • Bike: D6
  • Years Riding: 1+
« Reply #3 on: 03/26/13 06:44PM »
Can you tell if the key is worn?, tips/points rounded off?

Steering lock, was the steering pushed against the lock while turning the key?

WD has help me as well with tumbler issues.

Offline JohnnyZero

• 998cc
  • JohnnyZero's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/26/13 07:16PM »
Original key is bent, but it opens of the rear seat and gas thingy.  Spare is in better shape but same problem.

Offline The Stig

« Reply #5 on: 03/26/13 07:26PM »
The ignition lock might have tighter tolerances than the other locks. Be very careful if you're thinking of straightening the key. They break easily.
Owning a liter bike is like owning a pet tiger. If you know it's a tiger and you treat it like it's a tiger you'll probably be OK. If you start treating it like a house cat then it will likely maul you, possibly to death.

Offline Pngo12

• 749cc
  • Pngo12's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 01 CBR F4i (SOLD) 07 Daytona 675
« Reply #6 on: 03/26/13 09:03PM »
Sounds like the same problem I had with my gas tank.  The cylinder was super frozen and it took a locksmith awhile to pick at it.  He had to pick at it take it apart and the cylinder.  My problem is the worst case scenario.  Try WD-40.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #7 on: 03/26/13 09:52PM »
I don't recommend squirting WD-40 down a lock cylinder, it has been known to cause damage to plastics and certain rubbers.  A better lube, and the one used by most locksmiths, is white lithium grease.

Good luck,
~ L
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 40, Years Training Riders: 18
« Reply #8 on: 03/27/13 08:48AM »
It sounds as if the fork locking mechanism is jamming up.  Wiggling the forks a little as you try to unlock it usually works, but didn't for you.  Lubing it is a pain because it's buried under the ignition and triple tree.

I'd go to ronayers.com and look at the parts fiche to see how the system is assembled.  That should help you with figuring the problem out.  It will be under HANDLEBAR TOP BRIDGE. 

I looked and it seems to be the same as just about any other Honda steering lock system.  You can remove the electrical switch from the bottom with a Philips head screwdriver and lube the steering lock from underneath.  WD-40 might work, but I'd use Marvel mystery oil to free it up and then spray-can lithium grease to keep it free.

I had that happen to my Hawk.  It's a huge pain to remove the entire thing because they use Torx head bolts and heavy-duty Loc-Tite to secure it.

Luck,

J~
« Last Edit: 03/27/13 09:07AM by Snapshot »
“Life is a journey.  Enjoy the ride”

blkside

« Reply #9 on: 03/27/13 09:54AM »
Ok Im not much into the guessing game so lets try this...

Is the spare on an OEM blank?
When was the spare cut and how often has it been used?
Has the lube efforts been exhausted?

I ask these because I had some "honda cool look at me colored body" keys cut and they might as well be made of playdoh. Crap metal which took a crap cut and they work but hit and miss and require jiggling..

Offline JohnnyZero

• 998cc
  • JohnnyZero's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/27/13 10:56AM »
Thanks for the continued input guys, gonna tinker around some more today during work.

blkside original and spare key are oems. One is definitely twisted, the other is only slightly.  Lubing efforts consisted of spraying the key and working it in a couple times.  Crushed up some pencil lead and smothered the key and tried it again.  Finally WD-40 around the edge of the tumble as Stig suggested.  Feels like I have a  millimeter of two more slack for the key rotation but that could just be me being hopeful.  I will try again today and look into the assembly if I have time today.  Bike's at my store and I have absolutely no tools other than some screwdrivers and the allen wrench for fairings.  Didn't keep any tools since I sold my last bike a few years back.  I don't know how I'm going to unscrew the ignition assembly with no space to hold a screwdriver with the fork locked to one side.

Offline honda pc

• 749cc
  • honda pc's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 88 hawk gt, bandit 1250
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #11 on: 03/27/13 12:26PM »
Probably ignition tumbler is toast.  Buy one of eBay China one,  it's cheap. Yu can try all the lube.  Take top triple off and put it back on bike upside down,  so that ignition torx bolt is easy access and easier to take off. Bolt is put in factory with honda bond or threadlock, take it easy and don't ground it out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 50 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook