Topic: Been a while...need help on where to start!  (Read 1626 times)

Offline BroChaos

• inmate 0805343847
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • BroChaos's Gallery
  • Go Blue!
    • View Profile
    • Me
  • Bike: 2007 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 2
Been a while...need help on where to start!
« on: 06/24/13 04:34PM »
So....hope everyone is doing well!  It's been a few years since I've posted here.  Long story shortish, I have a 2007 CBR600RR, I was sideswiped in 2008, and haven't really ridden it since.  The damage from the crash was fairly minor.  Some cracked plastics, bent rearsets, turn signals, etc.  Due to family/monetary issues at the time, the bike has just sat there  :(.  I know, it's horrible, but I didn't have the time or money to do anything else.  I also don't have access to a garage. 

So, things are better, and I'm financially capable of repairing the bike, if it makes sense to.  Off the top of my head, I know I will need new tyres, battery, fluids, and chain.  Maybe sprockets and brakes.  What else do I need to worry about for a bike that has sat for 5 years?  Roughly how much should I expect to pay to get it ride-able again?  I'm not worried about the cosmetic stuff.  If it's not worth it to fix, what could I expect to get for it? 

Any advice/information/suggestions would be appreciated.  Shop recommendations appreciated as well (north OC preferred, if possible).

Thanks!!

Joe
that's crescent fresh...
still down here dancing with the GrooGrux King...
if you think loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride could do...

Offline AlmosTryin

Re: Been a while...need help on where to start!
« Reply #1 on: 06/24/13 05:00PM »
Dunno about new chain and brakes. Chain depending on condition could just use a cleaning, depending on condition of course. Brakes should be fine. Other than that sounds like you got it covered. As far as cost, I have no idea I don't take my bikes to shops so yea. Fluids/filter maybe 50-60? Tires 200ish? If you need a new chain another 70? Yeah I don't know.
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 40, Years Training Riders: 18
« Reply #2 on: 06/24/13 05:09PM »
Hey, Joe. 

Welcome back!

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on what it will take.

Take care,

Jeff
“Life is a journey.  Enjoy the ride”

Offline BroChaos

• inmate 0805343847
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • BroChaos's Gallery
  • Go Blue!
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: 06/24/13 05:36PM »
Hey Jeff!  Nice to see a familiar face.  Hope all is well.  Are you still running clinics? 
that's crescent fresh...
if you think loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride could do...

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #4 on: 06/24/13 10:05PM »
Depending on where the bike was stored you may want to check the fuel in the tank.  If you neglected to put any stabilizer in it prior to storing it and it sat outdoors, you may want to drain and top off with fresh fuel.  A good sign is to sniff and eyeball the fuel in the tank if it doesn't smells sour and looks darker than normal, I'd be hesitant to run the bike, or it may not even run...
Every day is ride to work day!

« Reply #5 on: 06/25/13 07:48AM »
that's a name I haven't seen in forever! what up Joe!  go talk to motogpwerks in Anaheim.  http://www.motogpwerks.com/  really great work and great prices.  they'll tell you what you need.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 40, Years Training Riders: 18
« Reply #6 on: 06/25/13 08:35AM »
Hey Jeff!  Nice to see a familiar face.  Hope all is well.  Are you still running clinics? 

You've been missed!  Yes, I still run the clinics.

Ride well,

J~
“Life is a journey.  Enjoy the ride”

Offline BroChaos

• inmate 0805343847
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • BroChaos's Gallery
  • Go Blue!
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: 06/25/13 11:11AM »
that's one thing i was concerned about.  but yeah, it still has a little gas left, and it's sat outside.  not even going to try starting it.  just going to drain it. 

Depending on where the bike was stored you may want to check the fuel in the tank.  If you neglected to put any stabilizer in it prior to storing it and it sat outdoors, you may want to drain and top off with fresh fuel.  A good sign is to sniff and eyeball the fuel in the tank if it doesn't smells sour and looks darker than normal, I'd be hesitant to run the bike, or it may not even run...

will definitely check them out.  i remember hearing good things about them back in the day, couldn't remember the name though.

that's a name I haven't seen in forever! what up Joe!  go talk to motogpwerks in Anaheim.  http://www.motogpwerks.com/  really great work and great prices.  they'll tell you what you need.
that's crescent fresh...

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 44 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook