Topic: 99r6 with blow engine buy or no buy  (Read 914 times)

Offline ghostf4i

• 599cc
  • ghostf4i's Gallery
  • thats not a honda its a lawn mower
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02 yzf r6
  • Years Riding: 1 still
99r6 with blow engine buy or no buy
« on: 07/03/13 04:02PM »
So yea what the title says I found an r6 really cheap full fairing but the valve hit the piston so the engine is gone. My question is. Is it worth buying it and fixing the engine or buying one the runs but needs cosmetic work.
When I say cheap it's 400 dollars cheap
06 yzf600r sold
01 cbr600 f4i sold
02 yzf-r6 sitting in my garage

Offline Don

• Just Don.
  • Forum Moderator
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Don's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6 Charcoal Grey
  • Years Riding: 35
Re: 99r6 with blow engine buy or no buy
« Reply #1 on: 07/03/13 04:13PM »
Depends on how mechanically savy you are. 

For me to pick up a bike in this condition, I would really have to love that year/make/model bike and be willing to completely tear it down (might as well since you are yanking the motor to rebuild) and rebuild the whole bike with custom touches.

If you are just looking for a bike to ride, then wait for something already running with just cosmetic damage.

Just my 2 cents.  Projects have a habit of taking up a lot of time and money for little return on investment.

"If you want to realize how inattentive you are as a driver, ride a motorcycle."

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #2 on: 07/03/13 04:15PM »
99 is too new and too old. Too new to be worth anything after you get it all back together and too old to be worth hassling getting it all up and running imo. But everyone has their own idea so depends what you want it for i guess.
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline Art

• 749cc
  • Art's Gallery
  • Blessing of the bikes Cook's 2010
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1985 K100RT, 2010 S1000RR, 1975 R90S
  • Years Riding: 26
« Reply #3 on: 07/03/13 04:16PM »
14 years old not just the engine is gone....... :2:

Offline ghostf4i

• 599cc
  • ghostf4i's Gallery
  • thats not a honda its a lawn mower
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02 yzf r6
  • Years Riding: 1 still
« Reply #4 on: 07/03/13 04:38PM »
I also found a 07 zx6 r that runs but is cosmetically ugly which is no problem for me but yea thank you for the advice I appreciate it guys and sorry I haven't been on here for a long while I moved from the of to 29 palms and there is pretty much nothing here
06 yzf600r sold
01 cbr600 f4i sold
02 yzf-r6 sitting in my garage

Offline blamecanada

« Reply #5 on: 07/03/13 04:44PM »
it's 400 bucks....if you're confident you can rebuild the engine yourself then what do you have to lose?  If the fairings, lights, etc... are all in place and working and the registration is current or PNO it's a no brainer

my roommate can rebuild the engine for you for considerably less than a shop would charge if you want to have someone else with experience do it

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
« Reply #6 on: 07/03/13 05:48PM »
For 400 bucks, its kind of a no-brainer to me.  You can probably get a running, used engine, or fix the current one for a lot less than the cost of a good running bike.  And, worst case, you could always part it out and get back your money.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #7 on: 07/04/13 07:03AM »
As others have suggested the price is right and with the right skill, this will be a very rewarding and lucrative project.  If you have wrenched on a bike before and can handle more advanced tasks such as checking valve lash, bleeding brakes properly, or troubleshooting/replacing a wiring harness, then pick up a shop manual for $25-$45 and have at it.  The real question is which manual to buy: Haynes or Clymer? 
Every day is ride to work day!

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 44 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook