Topic: Suomy helmets, how much extra for quality?  (Read 1974 times)

Offline harleyxlc

Suomy helmets, how much extra for quality?
« on: 07/07/13 07:25PM »
I have a Suomy Spec 1R Extreme. It's very cute with pretty flowers. It wasn't last year's model when I bought it, it was not cheap.

Well, the quality seems to be. I am comparing it to other helmets I have, Bell Star, X11,  Corsair V. What is up with Suomy? I only wear it maybe once a month, so far the large tab on one of the cheek pads broke off (surprisingly the glob of glue the factory used didn't keep it in place), both small tabs on the cheek pads have broken off, and the inner shell has now come detached from the outer shell! And I am not even bringing up the awful mechanism for removing the shield that requires a tool, oh wait, I just did :) At least that I knew about before buying it.

Never dropped, stored inside, kissed each night before bed.

I love the racing fit, love their designs...is this the norm for Suomy or did i just get the worst one in the lot?

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
Re: Suomy helmets, how much extra for quality?
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/13 07:29PM »
That's strange. 

I've had two vandal models and none of the problems that you're having.  Love the fit, but they're colder than the Arai is in the winter.

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tattoo

« Reply #2 on: 07/07/13 08:18PM »
I have a vandal also. I freakin love it .  I believe some helmets don't have a the convenient quick detach visor mechanism in efforts to cut weight. A tool is used to remove it instead. The spec r is their top race model so they are gonna make every attempt to make it as light as possible. As far a the liner coming detached from the inside of the helmet, really try and push the little buttons into the hole.  Or...... maybe you are alot rougher with your helmets then you are saying lol.  It's a suomy.  Not an crappy icon helmet or something.

Offline harleyxlc

« Reply #3 on: 07/07/13 08:51PM »
I'm just whining about the shield, you know, while I was already whining  :)

Not the liner, the actual inner shell. Trust me, I am surprised about this and expect a lot more. Pretending these other things didn't break, wearing the helmet, I love it, too. I definitely like the racing fit better than say, a Bell Star. And I don't think my dainty girly hands are too rough on my helmets. My others seem to survive intact :)

Offline harleyxlc

« Reply #4 on: 07/08/13 04:15PM »
I agree! Motorcycle Superstore. I contacted them about it and sent pics. I purchased it from them in April 2011.

Offline 07repsolvato

« Reply #5 on: 07/08/13 04:52PM »
i love my vandal 300 bucks at moto helmets when they where still on rosecrans :43: ave

Offline sgt_0331

• 998cc
  • sgt_0331's Gallery
  • Just enjoy life!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: White & Blue Gsxr1000
  • Years Riding: since 2002
« Reply #6 on: 07/08/13 05:40PM »
I bought my spec r1 about 10 years ago. All I can say its the best one I have owend. I owend tanAria, hjc, and AGV. Hands down Suomy all the way. As to your situation take it back to the vender. 

Offline Bugsy_Clarkdale

« Reply #7 on: 07/08/13 08:11PM »
Used to have a spec 1R and vandal, both we're really good quality wise. Still my fave fit. Maybe because they have less distributers they might have taken some financial hits over the last years and got a lil shotty on quality? Idk but I'd still buy one.

Offline justaguy

• PROSPECTS MC
  • 749cc
  • justaguy's Gallery
  • ride like you're invisible
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBR250, RSV4
  • Years Riding: 30+
« Reply #8 on: 07/08/13 09:27PM »
im thinking about getting a Suomy Vandal.  I currently have an Arai Vector and it fits my head great.  I used to have a Shoei RF1000 that didn't fit my head very well.  Is the Suomy more like an Arai or Shoei?  thanks!
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." -Aldous Huxley

"Don't give me Liberty, I'll get up and get it myself" -unknown

Offline harleyxlc

« Reply #9 on: 07/08/13 09:55PM »
Um, hmm....I've had a couple Arais (the rxx and corsair) and Shoeis (rf1000 and x11). I almost want to say neither, but more like the Shoei, IMHO. The Suomy is very tight and close around the neck (a race style). I understand the AGV is also like the Suomy, but I don't have any experience with it.

Offline Bugsy_Clarkdale

« Reply #10 on: 07/08/13 10:30PM »
AGV seem to run bigger, at least for my head.

Offline cbrsmurf

« Reply #11 on: 07/09/13 09:47AM »
didn't realize the spec1r was still even made

Offline cbrsmurf

« Reply #12 on: 07/09/13 09:49AM »
oh and contact the manufacturer.  arai, shoei, kbc whenever i had issues were quick and many fixes/issues are done gratis

Offline harleyxlc

« Reply #13 on: 07/21/13 07:07PM »
I've been working directly with Motorcycle Superstores, who says they have been trying to work with Suomy with no luck. The helmet is a few months out of warranty. if they can't get anything this week, I'll try contacting Suomy directly. I agree, when I had an out of warranty issue with my Aria, they really stepped up.

Offline harleyxlc

« Reply #14 on: 07/26/13 05:31PM »
Heard back from Motorcycle Superstore with an RMA and helmet sent back a couple of days ago. Also heard from Suomy US who says they will re-attach the EPS liner. Good news :)

Offline epicwolf

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • epicwolf's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '05 Yamaha R1
  • Years Riding: more than 5.
« Reply #15 on: 07/29/13 09:33AM »
Every product that comes off a line will eventually have a few bad ones or a defective ones.  Manufactors makes thousands of the same thing and who knows what goes through that assembly line before it goes out to the public. It could just be that you are one of the unlucky ones to pick up a defective ones.  It reminds me of when I bought a playstation 3 back in 2006 and I had a defective one. I send it back and they send me a new one. Just because a product is defective doesn't mean the brand as a whole is bad. I never think that a PS3 suck cus I have a defective one. 
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity. " Dale Carnegie

www.OCmotorcycleshop.com
www.skillzdays.com

Offline harleyxlc

« Reply #16 on: 07/29/13 10:28AM »
Agree, but wanted to see if other people's experience with the quality was different than mine and it was. If the responses were more of what I was dealing with, I might feel differently :)

Now just looking forward to getting my flowers back :)

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 63 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything