• My R1 eats me
  • 599cc
  • rainman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06 CBR600F4i/04 R1
  • Years Riding: 6
SQUIDS???
« on: 07/20/13 12:57AM »
 :38: Squid; I have no idea where or when this term was coined as a description for, by enlarge, a rider that doesn't wear a riding jacket and gloves, etc...  but lately it seems like its an offence that will turn the offending rider into some kind of outcast within the riding community, at least online. It goes beyond concern for a total strangers safety, its like ppl get outraged to see someone online not wearing "proper riding gear" I see it as flat out bullying.  :20: :4: :13:   

Am I missing something here? was there like a worldwide meeting I didnt attend in which all riders agreed to always wear proper gear under penalty of being insulted & harassed.  Or do we simply need to come up with a term to describe a person that is overly concern with others wearing proper gear to the point that he or she goes out of his way to insult and belittle another fellow rider on account of that. this of course would be a bad solution, because it advocates what its trying to abolish, basically bullying a bully, it did worked however against grammar natzis...

Enough said, what do you guys think about the subject?
___________________________________________________________ _________
"Ultimately, the only power man should aspire to is that which he exercises over himself."

Offline tattoo

Re: Re: SQUIDS???
« Reply #1 on: 07/20/13 01:08AM »
:38: Squid; I have no idea where or when this term was coined as a description for, by enlarge, a rider that doesn't wear a riding jacket and gloves, etc...  but lately it seems like its an offence that will turn the offending rider into some kind of outcast within the riding community, at least online. It goes beyond concern for a total strangers safety, its like ppl get outraged to see someone online not wearing "proper riding gear" I see it as flat out bullying.  :20: :4: :13:   

Am I missing something here? was there like a worldwide meeting I didnt attend in which all riders agreed to always wear proper gear under penalty of being insulted & harassed.  Or do we simply need to come up with a term to describe a person that is overly concern with others wearing proper gear to the point that he or she goes out of his way to insult and belittle another fellow rider on account of that. this of course would be a bad solution, because it advocates what its trying to abolish, basically bullying a bully, it did worked however against grammar natzis...

answer to your second question; they are called Gear Nazis

Offline Myroadrash

Re: SQUIDS???
« Reply #2 on: 07/20/13 01:13AM »
I always let nature take its course..

If/when they crash/go down, they will learn their lesson.
I'm a GINGER.... Why yes, that means I have no SOUL! MUAHAHAH

I'm pretty fly for a white guy.

Offline Hypermotard & Cecil

« Reply #3 on: 07/20/13 05:07AM »
I find that being an outcast (rebel) is a good thing, and it is usually in one's best interest to avoid people that are overly critical.

As per the gear required for riding that depends on many, many factors. For instance if you drag your knees you will probably require better gear then if you are taking a leisurely ride to go sit on the beach with your dog. I can understand riders trying to make a point with a young and inexperienced rider, but it is completely disrespectful to push their "unsolicited opinions" on an experienced adult rider. I think many of them have witnessed a tragedy and they are afraid, and it is the fear that makes them act the way they do. :( Bullies push others around because they themselves are afraid...

Offline The Stig

« Reply #4 on: 07/20/13 05:52AM »
This topic has been done to death more times than I can count.
Owning a liter bike is like owning a pet tiger. If you know it's a tiger and you treat it like it's a tiger you'll probably be OK. If you start treating it like a house cat then it will likely maul you, possibly to death.

Offline REPSOL

• 998cc
  • REPSOL's Gallery
  • Robert
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 HONDA REPSOL
  • Years Riding: Too Many
« Reply #5 on: 07/20/13 07:26AM »
When you make your 1st trip to the Hospital via the ambulance, your question will be answered.........................

Offline ViciousCycle

« Reply #6 on: 07/20/13 07:57AM »

Hey Ray,

If you would like your very own grammar ”natzi,” I am available. I do copy editng part-time. Just sayin'.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #7 on: 07/20/13 08:55AM »
Different people have different levels of acceptable risk.

I look at it as a cost-benefit analysis thing.  Considering the number of crashes I've been in (three - street, ten-plus - track) and the medical bills that would have been generated, I've saved over $100,000.00.

Ride well,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

deadhand

« Reply #8 on: 07/20/13 09:08AM »

Seriously man, use the search function. This topic has been discussed at length for over four years at least on this forum.

Offline Cass-anova

« Reply #9 on: 07/20/13 09:34AM »

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #10 on: 07/20/13 09:56AM »
While they have the abslolute right to not dress for the occasion, I have the same right to laugh at them openly.

On the 405 yesterday, a dude on an older Concours had flip flops and shorts on.. was flat footing both flipflops dragging them along the ground. I could not stop laughing.  :32: :32:

He will have a rude awakening someday (probably soon...).

Offline bkrochman

• 998cc
  • bkrochman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT - BMW R69 w/Ural S/C - Triumph Tiger - Kawasaki Versys - 73 Vespa 150 Super
  • Years Riding: Over 40 and not counting anymore
« Reply #11 on: 07/20/13 11:19AM »
I had a neighbor once who was REALLY into SCUBA diving. We called him squid. He didn't seem to mind.

Offline rainman

• My R1 eats me
  • 599cc
  • rainman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06 CBR600F4i/04 R1
  • Years Riding: 6
« Reply #12 on: 07/20/13 11:30AM »

Seriously man, use the search function. This topic has been discussed at length for over four years at least on this forum.

"Seriously?" are you seriously upset that I didn't use the search function before creating a new post on an old topic? this forum is for creating conversation, what difference does it make.  ;)
___________________________________________________________ _________
"Ultimately, the only power man should aspire to is that which he exercises over himself."

Offline DJM

• 125cc
  • DJM's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 Kawi Vulcan 900
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #13 on: 07/20/13 11:42AM »
Interesting... In the motox world its complete opposite... Squid is an overly geared person who cant ride!

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
« Reply #14 on: 07/20/13 01:42PM »
Like many things in life, it's a matter of perspective.  On this forum, for sure there are gear nazis.  But if you weren't on this forum, and just hanging around your pals who don't wear proper gear, then you might never encounter the gear nazis.  Many of the people on this forum are very experienced riders, and they (correctly) believe that wearing proper gear is one of the reasons they have lived to become experienced riders.  Sadly, a few of them also feel it necessary to belittle or insult other riders, usually newbies, who don't wear proper gear.  I have found myself having this same kneejerk reaction when I see a rider in flip-flops, but being older and (hopefully) a little wiser I now just try to smile, go about my business, and let Darwinism take its course.   Of course, if a newbie ever asks for information or advice, I'll be the first to step up.

I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of wearing gear here, as I don't think that was the intent of the original post.  Most of us know the right thing to do, we make our own choices.  Some live to tell about it, some don't.  Really, though, the most important thing is to educate yourself, make your own informed choices,  and do your best to ignore others who try to put you down.

mbstr

« Reply #15 on: 07/20/13 01:59PM »
Interesting... In the motox world its complete opposite... Squid is an overly geared person who cant ride!
In the motoX world one wouldn't dare enter the track without full gear, I look at street the same way!

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #16 on: 07/20/13 04:09PM »

Give Ray a break!  I haven't seen the topic in awhile, there are probably newer members on here that want a fresh perspective, and it seems squids come out of the woodwork once the mercury goes north of 80 and the sun's shining.  I shake my head, but also respect one's right to choose.  Darwin will eventually sort 'em out...
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #17 on: 07/20/13 04:13PM »
Only time I tell people anything is when they are a new new rider. Once they've been around the block a few times I let them make their own decisions but brand new riders I just let them know it sucks to go down without gear and at least protect your noggin and your hands.
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #18 on: 07/20/13 05:29PM »
As long as these silly gear nazis don't try and act like because they put on full leathers just to go down the street that they are a more skilled rider than me. I would hate to have to show them up wearing less Gear than them lol DOWN WITH THE GEAR NAZIS. Mind your business and Let the big man upstairs do the judging

Offline SUPERCHICKEN

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • SUPERCHICKEN's Gallery
  • GO SUPER CHICKEN
    • View Profile
  • Bike: HONDA VTR1000F
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #19 on: 07/20/13 05:52PM »
I save 10% by switching to geico

chicken
its easier to add horse power than it is to lose weight

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 64 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook