Topic: SQUIDS???  (Read 8404 times)

Offline blamecanada

Re: SQUIDS???
« Reply #40 on: 07/22/13 02:52PM »
I once picked up a girl on a date, she was adamant on wearing flip flops... there was no talking her out of it.

Then leave her at home...I've only had one that didn't go back into the house and get some more appropriate stuff on once it was clear I was leaving if they didn't

Offline rainman

• My R1 eats me
  • 599cc
  • rainman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06 CBR600F4i/04 R1
  • Years Riding: 6
« Reply #41 on: 07/22/13 03:08PM »
I once picked up a girl on a date, she was adamant on wearing flip flops... there was no talking her out of it.

Then leave her at home...I've only had one that didn't go back into the house and get some more appropriate stuff on once it was clear I was leaving if they didn't

Now days I avoid having someone on my back period... Some girl I know ended up a paraplegic as a result of an accident while riding with her boyfriend, he walked away unscathed
___________________________________________________________ _________
"Ultimately, the only power man should aspire to is that which he exercises over himself."

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #42 on: 07/22/13 03:20PM »

Now days I avoid having someone on my back period... Some girl I know ended up a paraplegic as a result of an accident while riding with her boyfriend, he walked away unscathed
I almost forgot about this... Anyone here not heard of the "Road Rash Queen", Brittany Morrow? Check out http://www.rockthegear.org/

There's also a mention of where the term "squids" is believed to have come from. If anyone who reads her story and still does not wear gear, then I think Darwin's theory is correct...
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline SmokEy87

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • SmokEy87's Gallery
  • Solo Dios Sabe
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Ninja Zx6r-2011 yamaha R6
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #43 on: 07/22/13 03:39PM »

I almost forgot about this... Anyone here not heard of the "Road Rash Queen", Brittany Morrow? Check out http://www.rockthegear.org/

There's also a mention of where the term "squids" is believed to have come from. If anyone who reads her story and still does not wear gear, then I think Darwin's theory is correct...

who is this fat chick?

Offline bkrochman

• 998cc
  • bkrochman's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT - BMW R69 w/Ural S/C - Triumph Tiger - Kawasaki Versys - 73 Vespa 150 Super
  • Years Riding: Over 40 and not counting anymore
« Reply #44 on: 07/22/13 03:45PM »

who is this fat chick?

What a rude comment so I am assuming you haven't read her story. Why not give it a try?
http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php?/testimonials/view/brittany_morrow_the_roadrash_queen/

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #45 on: 07/22/13 03:49PM »
who is this fat chick?
Read her page and find out...Click the 'Inspiration' tab.

If you are having trouble reading, she is a girl who was thrown off the back of some squids bike while NOT wearing gear. She suffered severe road rash over 50% of her body and was in the hospital for months recovering and going through several skin graft surgeries. Now she has a web page devoted to teaching people the importance of wearing gear. So maybe you can show some respect.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline BigSapz

Re: Re: SQUIDS???
« Reply #46 on: 07/22/13 07:20PM »

Wow. Is this what it takes too know to wear gear?

The whole concept is actually very simple. If you don't wear gear, you're an idiot. Your views and opinions mean nothing when you're an idiot.

Indulge on your ignorance all you want but you're still an idiot.

Ride safe
« Last Edit: 07/22/13 08:14PM by BigSapz »

deadhand

« Reply #47 on: 07/22/13 07:45PM »
Can this divisive can of worms thread be locked now?  I've seen all the Mensa members argue and insult long enough. 

Offline shawndoh

« Reply #48 on: 07/22/13 08:27PM »

Obviously he was more committed to scoring than you. Step up your game!  :p

Offline LakeTownGixxer

« Reply #49 on: 07/22/13 10:01PM »
who is this fat chick?

If you are having trouble reading, she is a girl who was thrown off the back of some squids bike while NOT wearing gear. She suffered severe road rash over 50% of her body and was in the hospital for months recovering and going through several skin graft surgeries. Now she has a web page devoted to teaching people the importance of wearing gear. So maybe you can show some respect.

calling someone fat is no different than calling someone a squid.
Hit me up if you want to go on a ride.

Offline Rat rider

• 50cc
  • Rat rider's Gallery
  • Luck is affirmed action.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Street triple / scrambler
  • Years Riding: Few years
« Reply #50 on: 07/22/13 10:13PM »
A thick belt also helps.

deadhand

« Reply #51 on: 07/22/13 11:43PM »
who is this fat chick?

calling someone fat is no different than calling someone a squid.

Not that I agree with the disrespectful talk, But there is a difference; fat people aren't necessarily stupid and squids aren't necessarily fat. Get it?

Offline rainman

• My R1 eats me
  • 599cc
  • rainman's Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Re: SQUIDS???
« Reply #52 on: 07/22/13 11:46PM »

The whole concept is actually very simple. If you don't wear gear, you're an idiot. Your views and opinions mean nothing when you're an idiot.

Ride safe
Im not sure its quite that simple & I certainly dont believe that type of reasoning would take anyone very far, there are many that believe that anyone who rides a motorcycle is an idiot to begin with. In such a subjective scope the term idiot or ignorance become meaningless.

To be clear, I dont believe it is wise to ride without gear personaly, in the same manner that I dont consider it wise to jump off a plane or go cliff diving, yet i would not consider someone who sky dives an idiot for taking such risks. In a similar fashion I believe there are some riders who perhaps feel that riding without protective gear makes the thrill of it all even greater because of the risk factor.

"The whole reason i race motorbikes is because its dangerous, i like the idea that if i get it wrong I'm dead" -Guy Martin
« Last Edit: 07/22/13 11:52PM by raymmrtnz »
"Ultimately, the only power man should aspire to is that which he exercises over himself."

Offline rainman

• My R1 eats me
  • 599cc
  • rainman's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 07/22/13 11:48PM »

Obviously he was more committed to scoring than you. Step up your game!  :p

:7: lol

Offline BigSapz

Re: Re: Re: SQUIDS???
« Reply #54 on: 07/23/13 03:51AM »

Ride safe
Im not sure its quite that simple & I certainly dont believe that type of reasoning would take anyone very far, there are many that believe that anyone who rides a motorcycle is an idiot to begin with. In such a subjective scope the term idiot or ignorance become meaningless.

To be clear, I dont believe it is wise to ride without gear personaly, in the same manner that I dont consider it wise to jump off a plane or go cliff diving, yet i would not consider someone who sky dives an idiot for taking such risks. In a similar fashion I believe there are some riders who perhaps feel that riding without protective gear makes the thrill of it all even greater because of the risk factor.

"The whole reason i race motorbikes is because its dangerous, i like the idea that if i get it wrong I'm dead" -Guy Martin

Thanks for proving my point.

Ignorance is bliss

Offline Neptune

• 125cc
  • Neptune's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2004 CBR 600RR
  • Years Riding: Less than a year
SQUIDS???
« Reply #55 on: 07/23/13 06:42AM »
I'm glad people were around to be "gear nazis" and instill in me that it's important to wear the gear through a mixture of negative peer pressure and hassling, it's saved me some big medical bills too.

I try not to get caught up in the whole talking down on people for not wearing gear, but I don't think it's a bad thing to hassle newer riders and get them to gear up. 

I prefer not to ride with people who don't wear appropriate gear, for the selfish reason that I don't want to wait for the ambulance and hear their wailing when they have a minor crash they could have walked away from (without skin grafts or wanting to commit suicide) if they were leathered up

We should ride sometime! Gear FTW.

I wear full gear 99% of the time. If its bit full, the only difference is jeans instead of leather over pants. But it's rare that I choose to do that.

Squid for some means someone who rides recklessly and put themselves and others in danger and not someone who only doesn't wear gear. While I tend to agree more so with that statement, but it's easy to lump in the "non gear wearers" with the rest of the squids for a lot of people. I've got no problem with you choosing to wear or not wear gear, but when you start talking about breaking people's mirrors and windows, that's when I decide not to ride or associate with you.

Offline Neptune

• 125cc
  • Neptune's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2004 CBR 600RR
  • Years Riding: Less than a year
SQUIDS???
« Reply #56 on: 07/23/13 06:46AM »

but do they realize the responsibility they are shouldering every time they put someone on that bike?

My guess is 'NO'

I sure do! I rarely take passengers/the gf because I simply don't have full gear for them. How would it make me look if I was fully geared and they aren't? No good!

Offline Bolted Down

• Bolted Down
  • 749cc
  • Bolted Down's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Hades Inferno       Dixie Highway
  • Bike: 2007 Ninja ZX-10R
  • Years Riding: a LONG time
« Reply #57 on: 07/23/13 07:24AM »
I am assuming that at some point a level of gear will be mandatory as per the vehicle code.
All but 2 states have some sort of helmet law
All states have some sort of se t belt law

Every time somebody gets killed by something, we have to pass a law to keep it from happening so it's only a matter of time before the gear laws start. I can also imagine having to wear a helmet in a convertible.

Stupid/idiotic/irresponsible/crazy/squid...whatever you choose to call it, it's really just a choice. My bitch about this whole thing is the the government has no business deciding what my acceptable risk factor should be.

And maybe this is just me talking here, but I was discovering that the more gear I had on the more risk I was willing to take on the bike. In the back of my mind I was thinking "meh, I have my gear on so I can go a little faster, dive a little deeper into the turns, pay less attention." On the other side if I was wearing just a helmet I was thinking "just be calm, ride cool and stay focused, you don't want to go down". Of course all that changed when I had my bike all custom done and now I ride like that regardless...paint is expensive.

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #58 on: 07/23/13 08:48AM »
who is this fat chick?

She held a seminar on what happened to her a while back  It was excellent.  Great food, good company and good information.

A few tidbits of info - She was twenty.  She slid over 500 feet.  The bike was a GSXR 750.  The helmet she was wearing was an XXL and she now wears an XS.  She was wearing a bikini under capri jeans and a sweatshirt hoodie with tennis shoes.  She lost both kneecaps and about 60% of her skin.  She was restrained and unable to move for over three weeks.  She was in the hospital for two and a half months.  The hospital bill would have been at least one million dollars, but she very luckily had TriCare...  She would have lost both arms had she not been doing strength training for boot-camp under the DEP program.  She now hurts all the time.  < - I can relate to that.

She's now an MSF instructor and trains sailors and Marines.  Go to http://www.rockthegear.org/ for more info.

Thread on the event here - http://www.ocmoto.com/index.php/topic,58145

And finally, I don't see how her weight has a bearing on any of this.  It seems to be real important to you, though.

Ride well,

J~
« Last Edit: 07/23/13 10:19AM by Snapshot »
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline rainman

• My R1 eats me
  • 599cc
  • rainman's Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: SQUIDS???
« Reply #59 on: 07/23/13 08:52AM »

Ride safe

Thanks for proving my point.

Ignorance is bliss

Hey, what can I say, you pose such air tight arguments...  :2:   :32:

Page created in 0.875 seconds with 65 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything