Topic: 2006 R6S headlight issue  (Read 1598 times)

Offline bgioan

2006 R6S headlight issue
« on: 08/02/13 01:14AM »
Hello there.  I have a 2006 R6S and am having an issue with my headlights. I have HIDs installed and they will not turn on. I check my headlight fuse, both of the relays and they are ok. I have hardwired two wires from the battery to the HIDs and thats the only way I have been able to ride. Anyone can help with some sort of suggestions?

Offline ThrillQuest

Re: 2006 R6S headlight issue
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/13 08:59AM »
Try unplugging one of your HIDs.  I'm wondering if either of them is getting enough draw to actually start up.
« Last Edit: 08/02/13 09:02AM by ThrillQuest »
The speedometer only serves as a distraction.
Sometimes life just isn't fair. Expecting life to treat you well because you're a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you're vegetarian.

Offline hctimin

• 125cc
  • hctimin's Gallery
  • Likely the slowest Motorcyclist you'll ever meet..
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2005 Suzuki SV 650S
  • Years Riding: ~18 hrs,...
« Reply #2 on: 08/02/13 11:29AM »
Is there a ground wire that needs connections from the kit?

Personally, mine didn't turn on until I connected a separate ground wire to the frame.  :19:

Offline bgioan

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/13 12:19PM »
There is no point to unplug "one" because both are unplugged and I have plugged only one in. They do work but only when wired straight to the battery.

Could you please specify which wire to ground and where you grounded it? I doubt this is the solution but I will check. The plug from the wire harness from the bike itself is not receiving power when measure with a volt meter.
« Last Edit: 08/02/13 01:06PM by bgioan »

Offline hctimin

• 125cc
  • hctimin's Gallery
  • Likely the slowest Motorcyclist you'll ever meet..
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2005 Suzuki SV 650S
  • Years Riding: ~18 hrs,...
« Reply #4 on: 08/02/13 05:09PM »
My lights are wired directly to the battery.

I had a separate ground wire that I think came off the igniter, I believe? Its been a while since I put it on,...I just remember that I was bummed that the lights didn't fire up and thought that I had a faulty kit. Then I accidentally hit the wire somehow, and the lead hit something metal and ignited for a second.  :23: Live and you learn,...

Offline GOOKIE MONSTER

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • GOOKIE MONSTER's Gallery
  • Your Face!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 12 zx14r, 02 RC-51
  • Years Riding: Not enough
« Reply #5 on: 08/02/13 05:44PM »
Make sure the connections to your stock headlights ate making full contact... depending on your bulb size, connection can sometimes get loose.

Check your bulbs. If it's dark in the middle of the hid bulb, bulbs are usually toast.

If you disconnect your bulbs and turn your bike on, you should hear your ballasts firing. If you don't hear that, your ballasts are usually done.

Feel free to pm me if you need more help.
Quote from: njineermike
Shiny bikes sucK. Ride it proud. It's a bike, not an AIDS patient.

Offline bgioan

« Reply #6 on: 08/02/13 05:53PM »
update... went to mission motorsports one of the guys hinted that i might have to have my front turn signals so that the connection can be completed.. i am missing these. how could i connect the three prong connector to each itself

Offline bgioan

« Reply #7 on: 08/05/13 02:57AM »
no my ballasts work.... I am just not getting power from the harness....  :26:

Offline brl0301

« Reply #8 on: 08/05/13 03:34AM »
try switching the positive and negative wires that plug into your stock healight plug. every ddm kit ive ever used has had the wires backwards.

Offline bgioan

« Reply #9 on: 08/05/13 03:37AM »
What exactly do you mean switching the wires... which wires?

Offline bgioan

« Reply #10 on: 08/05/13 09:49AM »

Never mind I understand you. That doesn't work, thats the simplest fix I have tried.

I don't see how no one picks up the fact that I am not getting power from my bikes wire harness. No matter what I do I don't get power. This is no fault of the HID or bulbs but something on the bikes end. I have used a multi meter and am getting a voltage reading of 0.

Offline brl0301

Offline brl0301

« Reply #12 on: 08/05/13 06:16PM »
sure

Never mind I understand you. That doesn't work, thats the simplest fix I have tried.

I don't see how no one picks up the fact that I am not getting power from my bikes wire harness. No matter what I do I don't get power. This is no fault of the HID or bulbs but something on the bikes end. I have used a multi meter and am getting a voltage reading of 0.
sure you checked the correct fuse? if you arent getting power at the plug fuse would be my guess or a cut wire harness going to the plugs

Offline Day6

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Day6's Gallery
  • unZunDunR
    • View Profile
  • Bike: D6
  • Years Riding: 1+
« Reply #13 on: 08/05/13 08:00PM »
If you are not getting power on your stock wiring harness, then check your fuse/relay.Also trace the wires, they may be cut/shorted somewhere.Were the stock headlights working prior to the HID install?

Regarding the HIDs. This is why your suppose to use a harness w/ relay.The stock headlight circuit is NOT designed for the high current HIDs require (upon start up) around 85w until the HIDs warm up).The voltage drop with the OEM harness/switch/relay/fuse is to high for the ballast to ignite.Resulting is flickering or no light at all.

HIDs need a separate harness/relay.With the harness the stock wireing/switch only needs to trigger the relay on the low side, which then triggers the high side, which then ignites the ballast.Straight from the battery, so no voltage drop.

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 56 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything