Topic: Honda Shadow help thread  (Read 1624 times)

Offline whothatchineze

Honda Shadow help thread
« on: 08/04/13 02:20AM »
Hey dudes, so my friend has gotten into a predicament ever since he started with getting his M1...

We bought a 2001 Honda shadow VLX600 with 17k miles about a month ago.  During our purchase we went through the typical checklist and everything seemed to check out.  The idle was even, only used 1/4 choke to start her up, chain looked good, no rust anywhere, rode straight, pulled strong in all the gears, needed a new front tire. 

Forward to present, my friend runs his battery out over night leaving the keys in the ignition and headlights on high beam.  He tried running starting it and it began backfiring, so he turned it off.  A shop in Gardena picked it up from his house and did a full inspection.  They said that he needs a new battery (expected) and a new chain (not completely expected, but acceptable), then they said he had blown spark plugs and needs valve cleaning.  They told him he should clean the valves every 3k miles.

Now, I own a sportbike, not a cruiser, so I guess some things could be different.

To recap, mechanic wants $800 for:
New battery
New chain
New spark
Valve cleaning
Labor

Kicker, my friend is dead broke after buying this bike.  It is also his only mode of transportation (he could bus it, but come on, he has moto now!)

The question I have for you experts out there is, can we get away with only the battery/chain?  And if so, how much should it be?
Follow up questions: Could killing the battery and running starting the bike blow the sparks/mess up valves?

Thanks in advance everyone!

*edit for spelling
« Last Edit: 08/04/13 02:22AM by whothatchineze »

Offline brl0301

Re: Honda Shadow help thread
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/13 03:37AM »
the very most i would have them do is the battery and that would only be so that i could ride faaaarrrrrrrr away from that place as fast as possible. They realized your friend doesnt know much about bikes and they are trying to take advantage of him.

Offline Israel Torres

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Israel Torres's Gallery
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Ninja 300 ABS/SE
  • Years Riding: 5 Years
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/13 06:51AM »
They realized your friend doesnt know much about bikes and they are trying to take advantage of him.
^THIS!... being a computer geek when I first got into motorcycling earlier this year I knew jack squat about bikes other than I wanted to ride one... my first bike I 100% relied on the dealer mechs to do everything for me... now on my second bike the first thing I did was download the service manuals, and the owner's manual, picked up a decent toolset at costco and have done all the work on the bike myself. Not only am I saving a grip, I'm also learning more about my motorcycle! Also doing it yourself you know that you won't f-it up as you often hear bikes that come from "bike-herding centers"... with all the resources online from bike dedicated forums to youtube as a supplement to the manuals doing basic stuff like adding and replacing things can be done by the owners - naturally as long as the owners are able to follow directions and use logic to reason things out, believe it or not some folks just don't make the cut.

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #3 on: 08/04/13 08:17AM »
Just pickup an AGM style battery for the bike from anywhere, clean and lube the chain, and he'll be back in business. Find a service manual online and check the chain slack and condition. Adjust accordingly.

If he is hell bent on not doing it himself, talk to SUPERCHICKEN from OC Motorcycle shop. He doesn't charge outrageous rates, etc.

I have never heard of "cleaning the valves" every 3k miles. Maybe I'm an idiot but.. what?  :32

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #4 on: 08/04/13 08:47AM »
Internet diagnostics aside...  A battery and a good clean/lube of the chain should enable him to get by.  He may have meant plug-cleaning instead of valve cleaning.  I've never heard of "blown" spark plugs.  Modern plugs last many, many miles.

If you could shoot a pic or two of the chain and the rear sprocket that would go a long way toward us knowing what's up with the chain.  Video of the bike idling and being revved would help us to understand what's up with the engine.   

As Israel has discovered, learning to work on your machine and the feeling that goes along with it is worth a google-plex of "likes".  If you can fix it, you truly own it.

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline 07repsolvato

« Reply #5 on: 08/04/13 09:50AM »
go to a different shop your friend is getn riped off... i have never heard of havn to clen your valves every three thousand miles thats krazzy!

Offline whothatchineze

« Reply #6 on: 08/04/13 05:36PM »
I figured as much, thanks for the info guys. 

Don't think anyone answered the last question though;

Follow up questions: Could killing the battery and running starting the bike blow the sparks/mess up valves?

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #7 on: 08/04/13 05:40PM »
Negative.  If there's a way for that to happen, I haven't found it.

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline whothatchineze

« Reply #8 on: 08/04/13 06:30PM »
Negative.  If there's a way for that to happen, I haven't found it.

J~

Haha, like you try to break your bikes :P

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 46 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything