Topic: Anybody own a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition camera?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline md6380

• 599cc
  • md6380's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yami R6/R1, Kawi 636, Husky SM610
Anybody own a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition camera? If so, are you having any issues with it? I'm currently torn between the Black and Silver editions, but have noticed some bad reviews with the Black edition. I'm not sure if the problems have been fixed by firmware updates or if they're really as bad as people say (we all know how the interwebs people are).

Offline Blueye Joker

• BluEye Joker }:D
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Blueye Joker's Gallery
  • www.blueyephotog.com
    • View Profile
    • BlueyePhotog
  • Bike: 2013 BMW HP4 Competition
  • Years Riding: 26 YRS, 11 knowing what I'm doing..
Re: Anybody own a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition camera?
« Reply #1 on: 01/27/13 10:07AM »
Drift HD! never failed me.. better picture.. longer battery life.. Remote and a display screen. Did I mention $200 shipped?
Super loud beep to let you know its recording.. plus you can see it on the screen.

The compact, durable, easy-to-use Drift HD action camera elevates the point of view camera market to a higher level with the feature-rich, multi-functional, professional helmet camera:

Full HD video for creating crystal clear footage
        More compact housing, 4.1 inches and 5.04 oz., 25 percent smaller that its predecessor
        Rotatable, replaceable lens
        Second rear cover to protect the camera when using an external mic or a USB charger
        An integrated LCD screen for shot setup and playback
        Micro HDMI connector for HDTV playback
        A remote control to enable you to film what you want to record, not the boring stuff in between
        New goggle strap in addition to curved and flat adhesive mounts, paired with a universal clip for multiple mounting options
        Standard ″ 20 thread for use with most tripods

If that isn′t enough the Drift HD also has the following:

A rotating lens so you can mount the camera at any angle and any position to get that shot you are looking for
        9MP still photography; put it in the photo burst mode and you can take pictures every few seconds for as long as your memory card and battery lasts
        You can pair the remote control to your camera or any number of additional cameras
        A digital zoom function so you can get even closer to the action, or your friend in front
        A 2.5 microphone input for external microphones
        Optional waterproof case to take your Drift HD to depths of up to 30m
        Optional external power pack accessory, taking recording time up to 20hrs

Offline md6380

• 599cc
  • md6380's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yami R6/R1, Kawi 636, Husky SM610
« Reply #2 on: 01/27/13 11:07AM »
Drift HD! never failed me.. better picture.. longer battery life.. Remote and a display screen. Did I mention $200 shipped?
Super loud beep to let you know its recording.. plus you can see it on the screen.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm pretty much set on a GoPro model.  I'm the owner of the original GoPro Hero from a few years back, so I already have a bunch of mounts (chest mount, some mount attached to snowboard and moto helmets, mounts on the track bike, suction mounts, etc).  I haven't really seen anything leaps and bounds better to really stray away from GoPro.

Offline GP

« Reply #3 on: 01/27/13 12:41PM »
I'm looking to get the Silver edition,who has the best deals out there? Thanks!

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: 9 years on-road, 13 years off-road.
« Reply #4 on: 09/06/13 10:40AM »
Go with the silver addition gopro.  The main differences between silver and black are the picture quality (both shoot in 1080p 60fps, black shoots in an additional mode of 1440p 42fps) and the black comes with the remote.  So you are spending an extra hundred dollars on a remote, which you can buy for the silver for only $79.99, and an extra setting (essentially costing $19.99.  One thing to consider is that most tvs will not play a 1440p picture, they simply can't handle anything over 1080p.  It's mainly used for editing and creating films with.  So realistically you are paying an extra $100 for a $79.99 remote. 

Worth it?  I think not. 

Resources:

I own both a Hero 3 silver and a HD 1.
Sell these things on a daily basis at work as well.

Offline RizinSun

• Team Green
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • RizinSun's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R *Fiona*
  • Years Riding: 11
« Reply #5 on: 09/06/13 11:20AM »
I believe there are a bit more differences if I'm not mistaken.  Taken from Go Pro's Site:

Black Edition:

KEY CAMERA SPECS
4kp 12 fps, 2.7kp 30 fps

1440p48/1080p60/720p120 fps

12MP / 30 fps Burst

Wi-Fi Built-In

Wi-Fi Remote Included

GoPro App Compatible

Pro Low-Light Performance

Silver Edition:

KEY CAMERA SPECS
1080p30/960p48/720p60 fps

11MP / 10 fps Burst

Wi-Fi Built-In

Wi-Fi Remote + App Compatible (no remote)

I currently own the Black Edition, haven't had any issues with it and fits my lifestyle well.  I do also use the extended battery life pack which helps a lot with battery life.  Hope this helps.

IL

2008 ZX10R Fiona
2005 ZX6R Scarlett RIP 4/25/08

Offline O.C. SV650S

• 599cc
  • O.C. SV650S's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 BMW R1100RT ABS, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1977 Yamaha RD400, 1997 Honda CR250R
  • Years Riding: 9 years on-road, 13 years off-road.
« Reply #6 on: 09/06/13 11:26AM »
What I meant was that the video camera settings aren't that far off.  When was the last time you heard of one the riders here using their gopro in burst mode or time lapse mode while riding? 

Yah the photos are better on the black, but honestly, who here is going to notice/use the difference in features?  I know I don't and most of the people I know don't, aside from the first day they buy it just to check it out.

Offline Sonny600RR

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Sonny600RR's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 04 CBRf4i (SOLD), 05 CBR600RR(SOLD)
  • Years Riding: Never Enough.
« Reply #7 on: 09/06/13 11:55AM »
depending on what type of videos you are doing. Heard the black is good for slow motion videos.
If you do buy the silver i have a brand new wifi remote for sale, thought i was getting the wifi bacpac but change of plans
Simple Smokes
    7835 Westminster Blvd
   Westminster, CA 92683

CALIFORNIA KINGS TATTOO
     3213 N Glassell St
      Orange, CA 92865
         Ask for ADAM

Offline Garrett

• 50cc
  • Garrett's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 Aprilia rsvr & 2001 Aprilia rs / 50
  • Years Riding: 15
« Reply #8 on: 09/06/13 12:19PM »
I have the Black Edition, should be called the ''Brown" Edition because it is a piece of crap. freeze ups and very short battery life. Got mine for Christmas and getting ready to send it back for a replacement.  At the time that my wife bought mine Go Pro was promoting the Sandisk sd cards for their cameras. So she bought a 64G class 10 card. Now they do not recommend Sandisk sd cards. WTF?  I will say this they do have great customer service. Lately my camera has been working fine while stationary, we will see how it works mounted to my bike this weekend.

Offline Mr. Green

• 749cc
  • Mr. Green's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Ninja 1000
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #9 on: 09/06/13 12:31PM »
I have the white edition. 1080p 30fps sucks.  60fps minimum comes out a lot better so I use 720p 60fps.  That 48fps probably sucks too.

Offline nomog

« Reply #10 on: 09/06/13 01:07PM »
I don't have experience with any of the Gopro cameras, but I got emails from Bike Bandit and Motorcycle Superstore in the last few days and they are blowing out the Silver and Black Gopros which makes me think they are getting ready to bring out the next big thing in a few weeks.
In the mean time, if you are looking to buy now I believe the Silver was around $250 and the Black was $330.

Offline tehrawr

• paradox
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • tehrawr's Gallery
  • invisibility is a relative thing
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 S2R1K : GSXR600K8 : 2004 Zuma 70 : 07' ex250 [sold]
  • Years Riding: since aug.2007
« Reply #11 on: 09/06/13 01:11PM »
own 2 black editions.  updating the firmware is priority one once pulled pulled out of the box.  these aftermarket batteries are decent, and the wall charger is quite handy to charge the spare when not in use

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-AHDBT-201-AHDBT-301/dp/B00AAIPT76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378498114&sr=8-1&keywords=wasabi+hero+3

Offline RedRider4Life

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • RedRider4Life's Gallery
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '07 CBR600RR
  • Years Riding: 16 years
« Reply #12 on: 09/06/13 07:05PM »
Used my Hero 3 Black on my Honeymoon to shoot 40 min. of under water footage using the wrist mount.  in hindsight I wouldn't have used the wide angle, but the under water video came out amazing.  The hero 3 black is a beast, ya the battery doesn't last that long but if you shoot at full rez you'll run out of memmory about when the battery dies.  The fact that I got it new to my door for $200 doesn't hurt either!

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #13 on: 09/06/13 07:08PM »
Used my Hero 3 Black on my Honeymoon to shoot 40 min. of under water footage using the wrist mount.  in hindsight I wouldn't have used the wide angle, but the under water video came out amazing.  The hero 3 black is a beast, ya the battery doesn't last that long but if you shoot at full rez you'll run out of memmory about when the battery dies.  The fact that I got it new to my door for $200 doesn't hurt either!

Are you going to share with us, how you got such a deal???

Offline paul13131313

• 599cc
  • paul13131313's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Fury/2015 Repsol SP
  • Years Riding: 13 years
« Reply #14 on: 09/06/13 11:49PM »
Next generation comes out in november.

Just bought two more GoPro HERO HD's for front/rear mounts on my bike to match front/rear mounts on helmet.I get four hours record time in 1080 with a 32GB sd card and a Battery Bacpac.

I'm also all geared up for the original model and will upgrade at the next great leap in technology 

Offline stormy

« Reply #15 on: 09/07/13 11:56AM »
The go pro's were having a problem with the 64gb sandisk cards, not the 32 - since I shoot 60fps I only need the 32 and a second battery to eat up the whole card anyway. Supposedly there are new 64gb sandisk cards that have updated code and work with the go pro.

Right now on Go Pro's site they are 320 new which saves a bunch and you can use them with a smart phone as a viewfinder and to start and stop recording, helps to make sure you get what you think your aiming at. Also I switched over to the skeleton case and cut up a bungee power cord to charge it while mounted to the bike.

Got an optrix case sitting on my desk with the flat lense option so I am hoping to replace the gopro, which I never use audio from anyway.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law - Winston Churchill

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 55 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything