Topic: Honda Rebel: Lowsided, now surging in top gear  (Read 1437 times)

Offline DJK

• 749cc
  • DJK's Gallery
  • scared to brake.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '05 R6, '17 FZ07, '09 ZX6R
  • Years Riding: Can you believe they let 18yr olds buy R1s?
So I decided to take the Rebel to work and ride street for the first time in almost a year since it's finally cool enough.  I low sided her 2 minutes from my house (nothing spectacular, got her upright and rode off), but now I'm getting a power problem in top gear (5th) on the freeway. 

I can get up to 65 no problem, but now with the throttle pinned I get surging (or intermittent loss of power depending on how you look at it). It's consistent and the bike will not get over 65.  Before the bike got put away last winter she was doing 75 no prob.

Now I didn't get to the freeway before the low side so I can't tell if this is a problem stemming from storage (I just put her in the corner and left her there) or from the low side. The power band seems fine in all the other gears, it's just when I hit 65 in 5th.
Two wheels vs four. When less is more.

Offline unknown (formally known as MyMTS1200 My848)

Re: Honda Rebel: Lowsided, now surging in top gear
« Reply #1 on: 09/18/13 01:17PM »
Sorry about the low side, but I think 65 is enough for the Rebel :)
2018 Ducati SuperSport S
2013 Husqvarna TE449

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
« Reply #2 on: 09/18/13 01:23PM »
That bike is about as bulletproof as they get.  They get tossed all the time in the BRC classes.

Things are pointing to the carburetor.  I'd add some Seafoam and see what happens for a day or two.  If that doesn't do it then a carburetor tear-down and cleaning is in order.  That's an easy carb.  I've done a few of them.

I've only ridden one on the freeway and that was with a client on the back.  We were able to do 65 (barely) and I just couldn't resist singing Born To Be Wild at full volume.  Good times.

Luck,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline cbrsmurf

« Reply #3 on: 09/18/13 01:35PM »
carb

Offline Newboi-Z

• 599cc
  • Newboi-Z's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2008 Suzuki M50 Boulevard, 1988 Honda VLX600 Shadow, 1986 Honda VT1100 Shadow
  • Years Riding: long enough
« Reply #4 on: 09/19/13 02:39AM »
agreed, carbs have been sitting and might be a bit dirty and clogged so fuel isn't flowing so nicely.  You might have to take them out, tear them apart and spray in some carb cleaner to wash out any gunk from the jets.

It might also be standard maintenance issues, oil change, spark plugs, oil filter.  Changing that stuff makes a hek of a difference, especially on the small bikes.
« Last Edit: 09/19/13 02:41AM by Newboi-Z »

Online thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #5 on: 09/19/13 06:54AM »
That bike is about as bulletproof as they get.  They get tossed all the time in the BRC classes.

Things are pointing to the carburetor.  I'd add some Seafoam and see what happens for a day or two.  If that doesn't do it then a carburetor tear-down and cleaning is in order.  That's an easy carb.  I've done a few of them.

I've only ridden one on the freeway and that was with a client on the back.  We were able to do 65 (barely) and I just couldn't resist singing Born To Be Wild at full volume.  Good times.

Luck,

J~

Everything that Snap said covers it. Seafoam + wait + carb teardown/clean if that doesnt fix it.

Offline Jimmy Summers - Riders Revelation

« Reply #6 on: 09/19/13 09:27AM »
HEY DJK

If you wanna give me a call I can help you out, based on the info you have provided this problem is not a clogged issue

Jimmy

949-336-0101

Online thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #7 on: 09/19/13 10:00AM »
It could be as simple as the carb vent hose has become dislodged and exposed to air. If exposed to rushing air, it can cause vacuum issues with the carb, thus surging power. I haven't played with a rebel's carb but I can't imagine it's different. I'd also check all of your vacuum tubing to see if anything has been dislodged. Vacuum leaks can cause weird running issues.

Aside from that I still think it could be some minor debris that got dislodged in the fall and clogged up a jet.

scott777

« Reply #8 on: 09/19/13 10:03AM »
Just curious, did you use StaBil or anything like it when you put it in storage?

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 44 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything