Topic: Helmet recommendation  (Read 1843 times)

Helmet recommendation
« on: 12/03/13 02:11PM »
I bought my 6 year old girl a 110 4 wheeler for christmas and was hoping to get some helmet recommendations. I was looking at the Bilt model, any feedback on those? Or other recommendations?
« Last Edit: 12/03/13 02:39PM by candym76 »

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
Re: Helmet recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/13 02:24PM »
By Bilk, I think you mean Bilt (Cycle Gear) helmet? For me I didn't care for the one I bought. I bought while it was on sale (half off) because I wanted a spare. I ended up selling it cause I made room for a Shoei RF-1100. That being said, there's a saying..."If you have a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet". Which really means that the cheaper the helmet the lesser the quality, typically because quality typically cost more but that's not to say the Bilt stuff is terrible. My opinion, is if the helmet passes DOT, or better yet SNELL testing, then the helmet should be good enough to wear. I would just stay aware from the "novelty" (Non-DOT compliant) helmets and make sure that it fits correctly and that your daughter is comfortable in it. As far as the Bilt I bought, it was too noisy and let in too much road "dirt" and wind from underneath the chin bar. My wife still has her 3/4 helmet, but she now wears an HJC, which is a more comfortable full face helmet and has a built-in sun visor. YMMV
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #2 on: 12/03/13 02:43PM »
I haven't owned Bilt helmets, so I cannot speak for that brand, but their gear has a reputation for poor quality.  I recently picked up an AGV helmet for ~$100 after researching for over a week.  Compared to my Shoei's, it's not nearly as quiet, but for the price, it's a great secondary helmet.  My recommendation is to check out http://www.revzilla.com/motocross-gear for their excellent and objective video reviews, Motor Helmets or Cycle Gear can be a great place to try on gear (aka showrooming), and buy from Extreme Supply in Signal Hill either online or in person.  Extreme carries most of the major brands and can be your one-stop shop for gear and accessories. 
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Israel Torres

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Israel Torres's Gallery
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Ninja 300 ABS/SE
  • Years Riding: 5 Years
« Reply #3 on: 12/03/13 05:18PM »
If you are looking for affordable look at HJC. I just picked one up for one of my sons and it's lightweight so I also carry it as a spare and for moto-gymkhana. My daily helmet is my Shoei Qwest - it has all the luxuries I need (camera and x1slim+ipod). The Harley helmet was nice with the built in shades but bit the dust after eating at CL… after that I decided never to wear my half shell again and instead is now a decorative conversation piece for the coffee table. If you want to try on a range of helmets check out http://www.motorhelmets.com they are located in Fullerton and have the largest assortment I've seen in a brick and mortar.

Here's my Helmet Collection so far this year (starting late January) - they've all had different purposes so it depends on what you are doing for your level of protection.

• HD Willie G Skull (Half Shell)
  • HD (Modular)
  • Shoei Qwest (Full Face)
  • HJC IS MAX BT (Modular)

Offline calamari

• Devil's Advocate
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • calamari's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2009 KLR650
  • Years Riding: 7
« Reply #4 on: 12/03/13 05:32PM »
HJC and Fox offer a good variety of youth fitted helmets, ranging from about 79.99 to 119.99.

Dont cheap out on your kids helmet, take your time and bring her in when making a purchase to ensure the proper fit. Dont forget goggles.

I think Mission Has come close out polaris helmets for like $25

Offline epicwolf

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • epicwolf's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '05 Yamaha R1
  • Years Riding: more than 5.
« Reply #5 on: 12/04/13 06:32AM »
Buy a helmet that fits nice.  Not every head is created equal.  Arai is a great brand and a very expansive one too but my head doesn't fit well with any Arai helmet. I can spend 800 bucks on a nice Arai helmet and still feels like im wearing a $100 helmet due to the fitment.  My head fits really well with the Shoei RF1100. Doesn't fit as nicely with the X12.  So my suggestion is to test fit as many helmets as possible and see how it feels with your head.   In terms of quality, it does matter a little.  The cheaper helmets tend to break easily when you fall. Granted your goal is never to test how strong your helmet really is by hitting it on the pavement but to be honest, that is the only way you can tell if a helmet is great or not.  Many people I know who own a cheap helmet always have the same complaints. One is its too noisey and uncomfortable to wear, another is it breaks easily even when it fell off the counter.   So spend wisely. I rather spend 800 bucks on a helmet that last for the lifespan of how long a helmet usually last (which is 5 years) than a cheap $200 or less helmet that last about 6 months.  But thats just me.   My next helmet probably be the Nexx Carbon.  It fits real nice on my head and i heard its a pretty quality helmet. Aint cheap though.

Here are the popular brands that considered "too expansive" for most people so they go with the cheapies.

Shoei
AGV
Arai
Shuberth
Suomy
Nexx
Some Icon helmet

here are the affordable brands. Quality? Not sure. Some think its great.

Speed and Strengh
Bell
HJC
Scorpion

some of the affordable helmets can be expansive too but mostly they sell very cheap priced helmet.   Its rare to find a cheap Arai and Shoei. Those two are known for high prices but most popular.    There are some not well known brand helmets that I didn't list yet. Those helmets tend to be super cheap. You can get one for $25 bucks but i rather not spend something that protect my head for that cheap. But thats just me.
« Last Edit: 12/04/13 06:41AM by epicwolf »
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity. " Dale Carnegie

www.OCmotorcycleshop.com
www.skillzdays.com

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
« Reply #6 on: 12/04/13 07:20AM »
HJCs are not horrible budget helmets, but definitely avoid BiLT. They're just Chinese OEM helmets.

I personally will only buy Arai now. Expensive? Yes.. very much so. They just fit perfectly on my head-shape, and are oh so comfy.

Offline OOTV

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • OOTV's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR800 (2001&2009) Ducati 900SS/SP (1995)
  • Years Riding: 30yrs.
« Reply #7 on: 12/04/13 08:34AM »
The thing that you are up against is this is for your daughter and of course you want the ultimate in protection, but as said earlier, she will out grow it pretty quickly. That being said, some manufacturers like Shoei, use one shell size for a series of sizes of helmets and use different internal padding to change the fitment. i.e. extra small and small will often use the same shell but the padding can be purchased to change the "size". So even though your initial investment will cost you a little more, it may be used for a longer period of time.

Back to Bilt, again I ditched mine and so did my wife and since I never went down wearing it I cannot say how it would have held up. In my wife's case it was a "stop gap" purchase, something that she could wear for a ride or two while we found a better helmet. Much better than the "novelty" helmets some of the cruiser riders wear to give the appearance of being legal! Some people swear by a brand, mine happens to be Shoei, as most of the ones I try on fit me very well, although I won't go so far as to say it will be the ONLY helmet brand I'd buy, but it's the first I gravitate to. When I used to race off-road, my got to helmet was the Bell "Moto" series, I think the two I went through were the Moto-3 and Moto-4 (Yes, I'm old), but these were "THE" helmet at the time.

Here's another thing to add, if you do take a fall and the helmet hits the ground, as far as a cheap helmet is concerned, or any helmet for that matter, the helmet should be replaced. The key to any helmet is for it to take the brunt of any impact, whether it cracks, chips, or scrapes, as long as it keeps your head from these things, it did it's job and should be decommissioned, particularly if the shell gets damaged in any way.
“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

« Reply #8 on: 12/04/13 08:44AM »
 :30:thanks for the feedback on Bilt, I had no idea! The guy at the bike shop recommended the MSR assault helmet, thoughts?

Offline Forum Proctologist.

« Reply #9 on: 12/04/13 08:53AM »
What size are you looking for? I have an scorpion that my daughter outgrew, if it fits and you are interested you can have it.
It has a few marks on the outside, but very clean on the inside. She used it a handful of times.
* The preceding photo or paragraph/s its contents or comments, are NOT directed at anyone in particular, no need to get your panties in a bunch or take it personal.

Offline epicwolf

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • epicwolf's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '05 Yamaha R1
  • Years Riding: more than 5.
« Reply #10 on: 12/04/13 09:02AM »
Some people swear by a brand, mine happens to be Shoei, as most of the ones I try on fit me very well, although I won't go so far as to say it will be the ONLY helmet brand I'd buy, but it's the first I gravitate to.

The thing about Shoei and why most people gravitate to that brand  is that not all shoei are the same.  So it fits to many type of head shape.  Like i said before I felt more comfortable wearing an RF1100 than a more expansive so called "upgrade" level helmet like an x12.   And it goes for Shoei Qwest brand too.   Unlike most brands that fits all the same like the Arai and Icon, Shoei does concentrate a lot on fitting. 

in terms of the Bilt brand. I think it was a brand that kind of represents Cycle Gear.  They always try to push me into buying that brand.  I really dont have any personal opinions on Bilt but from talking to many people who ownes it, there is a saying about Bilt.  It is "Bilt to fail".   Maybe thats why their gears are so affordable. 
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity. " Dale Carnegie

www.OCmotorcycleshop.com
www.skillzdays.com

« Reply #11 on: 12/04/13 09:49AM »
Her head is. 19 inches so a small. When I actually looked at the Bilt helmet I was appaled I could basically flex it in half! The same with their pads, I could have got styrofoam and been better off lol,so I went with the FOX pads .

Offline 2FURYUS

• 599cc
  • 2FURYUS's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Busa, Ducati
  • Years Riding: 35
« Reply #12 on: 12/04/13 06:22PM »
Motorcycle Superstore has scorpion exo-400's on sale right now for $59 normally $160...you may want to check those out.

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 55 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook