Topic: Dual sport/Supermoto street legal? 2001 WR426  (Read 16449 times)

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
  • Years Riding: since 2010
Hey everyone,
I picked up a 2001 Yamaha WR426 about a month ago and it runs great, really excited to get it up in the dirt like it was intended.  But seeing as this is my project bike, I have decided to persue the somewhat vague task of getting it registered and plated on the street.  I have heard good and bad, easy and difficult instances from thumper talk and whatnot, anyone have some first hand experience or advice?  I am aware of the street legal necessities I will have to add to the bike and thats not a problem.  I am talking purely legal and DMV here, although if you have any mechanical advice on getting it on the road it would be equally appreciated.  If this has been covered before, I apologize.  Couldnt find anything in the forums. 

FYI
So far I have ordered an new headlight with high beam and the trail tech vapor for a speedo/tach/temp indicator.  Looking at adding the tusk lighting harness and the trail tech indicator housing along with the appropriate dual sport tires.

Thanks!

:50: :42:

Offline Comp720

• I'm not always an assh*le... Just kidding go f*ck yourself.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02 Harley Road King, 2015 KTM 500EXC
  • Years Riding: 30
Re: Dual sport/Supermoto street legal? 2001 WR426
« Reply #1 on: 01/22/14 03:50PM »
good luck with that if it was not already registered it is very hard to get it registered now you pretty much have to know someone.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well-preserved piece. One should rather skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride"!!!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #2 on: 01/22/14 05:08PM »
the best question is this:

does it have the federal emissions label that states that it was manufactured for on-road use?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvdualreg.htm

if no, then go buy a bike that's already plated

if yes, then do you have a title?
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

scott777

« Reply #3 on: 01/22/14 06:17PM »
I've been looking at dual sports for the last few weeks. I've been reading all the forums every night doing my homework trying to find out about this and that, so for the life of me I can't remember which ones I read this on. But basically the theme I keep seeing is the state of Washington will let you register it and that's about it. I've seen people say things from it's next to impossible to it's actually a law that you can no longer register that bike in California. The "it's now the law" seemed to be the most recent post. I don't know which is true, but the talk was so terribly bad that I completely abandoned the thought about doing it. I would spend time at dmv before you spend any money trying to make it happen. Either way, good luck. I hope you can pull it off, because if you do I might try it!
 :42:

mbstr

« Reply #4 on: 01/22/14 06:51PM »
Save yourself the cash n grief and keep it dirt n Sumo track, Its gonna cost at least a grand to $1,500 to get the kit and register, You can find a decent dual sport already plated for $2,500 to $3,000
« Last Edit: 01/22/14 06:52PM by DetailTodd »

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/22/14 09:21PM »
the best question is this:

does it have the federal emissions label that states that it was manufactured for on-road use?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvdualreg.htm

if no, then go buy a bike that's already plated

if yes, then do you have a title?

any idea where that label would be?  I have a valid green sticker and title in hand.  What about a "special construction?"

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/23/14 04:50AM »
it varies; on my FZR600 it was a black sticker on the inside of one of my fairings...sometimes it's a on a fender, sometimes it's on a metal tag...you just have to search the bike

the green sticker doesn't apply to on-road use; that just says you're permitted to ride in off-road parks year-round.

special construction I don't know too much about, but what little I've read, it's still expensive and sketchy at best. If you need to go that route, you'd be attempting to circumvent the emission sticker requirement, which if caught, could result in fines (and maybe prison time?)...and for all the money that goes into it, you might not even guarantee yourself a plate...in the end it's not worth it because of how many other currently street plated bikes there are.

here's a plated 426 for (probably) $2,000: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/4296167628.html

if you *just* need a plate, you can get a plate from another state and be "legal", but technically CA says you should convert over if you live here.

Offline TankSlapper

• Omphaloskeptic
  • 749cc
  • TankSlapper's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800, CRF450R, WR400, YSR50
  • Years Riding: 30+
« Reply #7 on: 01/23/14 10:41AM »
I think its the VIN number that triggers a red flag in the system.  I have a 1999 WR that is plated.  Back in the day, Mission Yamaha was importing them from Canadia so the VIN numbers wouldn't get flagged.  The exchange rate between US and Canadian dollars at the time made up for the shipping costs. They helped with the paperwork and everything.   

ThumperTalk is probably the best resource for info.
Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can help muffle the sound.

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/23/14 11:17AM »
Hmmm, all good info.  I know a friend who lives in Nevada and we take trips a couple times a year.  If I 'sold' the bike to him and he was able to get plates would California then transfer those plates here when I bring it back?  I know this is all trying to circumvent the system, I'm still weighing if this will be worth the hassle or not.

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #9 on: 01/23/14 11:39AM »
CA will still want to inspect the bike, and will likely want to find a sticker or some evidence that it is street legal.

A quick Google search turned up this article:
http://www.motosport.com/blog/how-to-make-a-dirt-bike-street-legal

scott777

« Reply #10 on: 01/23/14 11:48AM »
I know this is all trying to circumvent the system, I'm still weighing if this will be worth the hassle or not.
no. It's not.

Offline Comp720

• I'm not always an assh*le... Just kidding go f*ck yourself.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02 Harley Road King, 2015 KTM 500EXC
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #11 on: 01/23/14 11:48AM »
no they would not except a Nevada plate you would have to keep it registered in your friends name.  You would be able to ride it here but the cop might site you if you are riding a Nevada plated bike with a ca license.  if the same cop sees you multiple times he will def site you.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well-preserved piece. One should rather skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride"!!!

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #12 on: 01/23/14 11:58AM »
And, with a little more research, it's not gonna happen...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/580564-ca-dual-sport-law/

scott777

« Reply #13 on: 01/23/14 12:47PM »
And, with a little more research, it's not gonna happen...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/580564-ca-dual-sport-law/

Yep... Your link is what I mentioned earlier but couldn't remember where I saw it. And like Comp was saying about siting you for having a CA license on a out of state bike, I also saw threads where people said they had their bikes impounded on the spot because they were recognized by rangers/law enforcement.

mbstr

« Reply #14 on: 01/23/14 01:17PM »
The systems got ya by the Balls on this one! :13:
« Last Edit: 01/23/14 01:39PM by DetailTodd »

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01/23/14 04:33PM »
Hmmm, all good info.  I know a friend who lives in Nevada and we take trips a couple times a year.  If I 'sold' the bike to him and he was able to get plates would California then transfer those plates here when I bring it back?  I know this is all trying to circumvent the system, I'm still weighing if this will be worth the hassle or not.

no

approaching the DMV to register a bike out-of-state is the same as taking an off-road only bike and making it street legal...they need to see that sticker to give you a CA plate

also...

I think its the VIN number that triggers a red flag in the system.  I have a 1999 WR that is plated.  Back in the day, Mission Yamaha was importing them from Canadia so the VIN numbers wouldn't get flagged.  The exchange rate between US and Canadian dollars at the time made up for the shipping costs. They helped with the paperwork and everything.   

ThumperTalk is probably the best resource for info.

from 2003-onwards, there are off-road only bikes (MX bikes, trail bikes) that CA did not want you converting by any extra terrestrial means. These bikes that were originally manufactured for off-road use only have a "3" or "C" in the 9th digit of the vin: those bikes will NEVER get a street plate because (independent of emissions sticker requirement) the DMV knows that "3" or "C" means it was originally an off-road only bike with no on-road use intended.

there are, however, "plateable" dirt bikes from 2003-newer that does not have this "3" or "C" in the 9th digit of the vin - (example - many ktm's). They DO meet the federal emissions requirements, have the emissions label affixed, and even if they were only used as green/red sticker off-road bikes their whole life, they can still be converted for street use later on with a simple baja light kit and DOT tires.

pre-'03 plated bikes could keep their plates...pre-78 bikes can be plated regardless...and anything else that's 1978 or newer can't be plated unless it has the emissions label

kokonut - while your bike does pre-date the "3" and "C" vin requirements, you likely don't have the sticker

everyone else already addressed the out-of-state plate deal - do you want to run the risk of getting busted?

doesn't it seem easier to buy a plated bike now?
« Last Edit: 01/23/14 04:36PM by breakdirt916 »

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01/24/14 06:57PM »
checked the vin.  Has a 3 for that digit.  Cant find the emission sticker, I highly doubt it ever had one.  Guess it's going up for sale.  Shame, its a really cool bike, just need it to do more for me than bomb the desert.  If anyone is in the market for a nice WR426 pm me I guess.  I will be unloading it for cheap.  Does anyone my size have any reviews on the WR250R or the CRF250L?  I have researched them and watched the vids already, just asking for more info.  The more sources I have the better.  If they dont have the power to get me around on the street I might start looking for an XR650R again or that plated YZ426. (thanks for that breakdirt, I would have never found that) :29:

mbstr

« Reply #17 on: 01/24/14 07:20PM »
checked the vin.  Has a 3 for that digit.  Cant find the emission sticker, I highly doubt it ever had one.  Guess it's going up for sale.  Shame, its a really cool bike, just need it to do more for me than bomb the desert.  If anyone is in the market for a nice WR426 pm me I guess.  I will be unloading it for cheap.  Does anyone my size have any reviews on the WR250R or the CRF250L?  I have researched them and watched the vids already, just asking for more info.  The more sources I have the better.  If they dont have the power to get me around on the street I might start looking for an XR650R again or that plated YZ426. (thanks for that breakdirt, I would have never found that) :29:
Your doing yourself a favor getting rid of it Nice bike but Yamaha did better in later years, The newer dual sports are hands down a better buy. Im working with this Xr 600R right now $575 in back fees and tons of Shat to deal with... Buy something turn key! ;)

scott777

« Reply #18 on: 01/24/14 09:41PM »
I've been shopping and researching these bikes for about 3 weeks now. Maybe if we go buy WR's together we can get a better deal  :7: I'm ready to pull the trigger if you are.

Quick run down: the Honda's are the heaviest, least power and easiest to ride. A beginner bike. Kawi's are a step up, little lighter but still carbureted. The Yamaha has the most power, more ready to go, better adjustable suspension, highest top speed and is EVERYBODY'S 250 of choice for a reason. But the Yamaha is gonna cost ya.

I was (and kinda still am) giving serious, serious thought to a 2013 or '14 Husqvarna TE 449 or 511. They are lighter than the WR, almost twice the power, and since the Husky got sold, they are almost giving these bikes away... actually cheaper by almost a grand right now! The only thing about the Husky's is they are actual dirt bikes with blinkers. So CONSTANT MAINTENANCE seems to be the theme. Oil changes are at 300-500 miles, and the list goes on from there. Nothing major, but constant tinkering seems to be required. For me, it's proving to be a tough choice... Lighter, cheaper, and more power but needs constant attention, or turn the key and go, more street-able, more after market support, but more money and less power?

mbstr

« Reply #19 on: 01/24/14 09:55PM »
I've been shopping and researching these bikes for about 3 weeks now. Maybe if we go buy WR's together we can get a better deal  :7: I'm ready to pull the trigger if you are.

Quick run down: the Honda's are the heaviest, least power and easiest to ride. A beginner bike. Kawi's are a step up, little lighter but still carbureted. The Yamaha has the most power, more ready to go, better adjustable suspension, highest top speed and is EVERYBODY'S 250 of choice for a reason. But the Yamaha is gonna cost ya.

I was (and kinda still am) giving serious, serious thought to a 2013 or '14 Husqvarna TE 449 or 511. They are lighter than the WR, almost twice the power, and since the Husky got sold, they are almost giving these bikes away... actually cheaper by almost a grand right now! The only thing about the Husky's is they are actual dirt bikes with blinkers. So CONSTANT MAINTENANCE seems to be the theme. Oil changes are at 300-500 miles, and the list goes on from there. Nothing major, but constant tinkering seems to be required. For me, it's proving to be a tough choice... Lighter, cheaper, and more power but needs constant attention, or turn the key and go, more street-able, more after market support, but more money and less power?
There is a reason why they are giving them away! :24: Yamaha for the win! :42: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1:

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 52 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything