Topic: Dual sport/Supermoto street legal? 2001 WR426  (Read 16450 times)

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
Re: Dual sport/Supermoto street legal? 2001 WR426
« Reply #20 on: 01/24/14 09:56PM »
scott - what about ktm??

Koconut - roughly, what's your budget?

I actually don't know a lot about bikes worth more than $1,500...but the XR650R is a bitchin option because while you get relatively good performance, the reliability makes it worth it alone

be weary of older  mx-model 4-strokes...once the motor is clapped out, it's cheaper to buy another (running) bike than to do all the work on the valves to fix it up, or to replace the motor on it
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
  • Years Riding: since 2010
« Reply #21 on: 01/24/14 10:12PM »
checked the vin.  Has a 3 for that digit.  Cant find the emission sticker, I highly doubt it ever had one.  Guess it's going up for sale.  Shame, its a really cool bike, just need it to do more for me than bomb the desert.  If anyone is in the market for a nice WR426 pm me I guess.  I will be unloading it for cheap.  Does anyone my size have any reviews on the WR250R or the CRF250L?  I have researched them and watched the vids already, just asking for more info.  The more sources I have the better.  If they dont have the power to get me around on the street I might start looking for an XR650R again or that plated YZ426. (thanks for that breakdirt, I would have never found that) :29:
I've been shopping and researching these bikes for about 3 weeks now. Maybe if we go buy WR's together we can get a better deal  :7: I'm ready to pull the trigger if you are.

Quick run down: the Honda's are the heaviest, least power and easiest to ride. A beginner bike. Kawi's are a step up, little lighter but still carbureted. The Yamaha has the most power, more ready to go, better adjustable suspension, highest top speed and is EVERYBODY'S 250 of choice for a reason. But the Yamaha is gonna cost ya.

I was (and kinda still am) giving serious, serious thought to a 2013 or '14 Husqvarna TE 449 or 511. They are lighter than the WR, almost twice the power, and since the Husky got sold, they are almost giving these bikes away... actually cheaper by almost a grand right now! The only thing about the Husky's is they are actual dirt bikes with blinkers. So CONSTANT MAINTENANCE seems to be the theme. Oil changes are at 300-500 miles, and the list goes on from there. Nothing major, but constant tinkering seems to be required. For me, it's proving to be a tough choice... Lighter, cheaper, and more power but needs constant attention, or turn the key and go, more street-able, more after market support, but more money and less power?

thats definitely what I've researched too.  The Yamaha is top of the class, but over 6k for a 250!!! :6:  I can afford one but ehhhh, I like it but I'm kind of leaning toward the Honda.  The CRF250L is way cheaper and can be made to compete with the Yamaha for less than the price difference.  The Kawasakis/Suzukis I just dont consider, I have been loyal to Yamaha and Honda (with the exception of my Aprilia) and I still put those two up ahead as far as reliability/ease of maintenance/parts cost.  The Husky is a total dirt bike with blinkers.  Nothing wrong with that, it has lots of power and is more capable off road than the Honda and Yamaha but the maintenance intervals kill it for me.  Reliability shouldn't be a huge issue either, I think BMW actually did the engineering for Husky on this model. 
Finding used WR's is kind of a challenge.  I have found a few CRF's and they are an even better deal used.  Since I'm also mechanically inclined, I am looking forward to getting my hands on one, swapping parts and upgrades to see what works better for me.  The CRF would allow me more flexibility with that since its so much cheaper. 

scott777

« Reply #22 on: 01/24/14 10:22PM »
KTM's are freaking sweet, but way more than I want to spend; $10,000 neighborhood. What got me going on this whole buying a little dual sport to play with was the Honda CRF250L, because it list at like $4,500. The Yamaha at $6,700 is already over what I wanted to spend, but it's just so much better than the Honda's that it pushed me to that price point. The Husky's I was talking about listed at about $8,300, but now down around $6,200, and can be had cheaper than that OTD. Also, I think the 500cc and smaller KTM's are needy maintenance bikes too. Which, I just don't have the time to devote to upkeep like they would need. And that would just lead to me not riding it. But they are the top of the line if you want a serious dirt bike that you can ride on the street legally.

scott777

« Reply #23 on: 01/24/14 10:29PM »
lol Koconut... Were are totally sharing the same thoughts and dilemma's. I've been to a few shops and I think the most knowledgeable guy I've come across is Dave Daniel at Champion 949.642.4343. He personally owns a ton of dirt bikes and has all the family outing photos to prove it. They sale both the Honda and Yamaha. I'd call him, then tell him I referred you and I expect a good deal for it! Seriously though, cool guy.

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01/24/14 10:38PM »
 :32: :32: :32:
Ah!  Dave!!!  I know him!  He tried to add a bunch of fees and taxes to an Aprilia I almost bought from him, then signed me up for a Kawasaki loan credit card I didnt want!  Hmmmm.  Dont know about going back to Champion yet...maybe if the price is right and he doesnt try any funny business like last time. :13:

scott777

« Reply #25 on: 01/24/14 10:49PM »
Really?!? Good to know. In that case, there's a dealer on Cycle Trader down in San Diego that has a WR advertised for $5,999 that I'm gonna call on. And as much as I hate to say it... Bert's will price match anyone... but it's Bert's :41:

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01/25/14 04:30AM »
I had a good experience last time I went to berts.  Even though I didn't buy a bike from them their customer service seemed top notch to me.  Interesting how all these dealers can be so different in each personal experience.  Anyway a search on cycle trader and I found a brand new 2012 model for sale up in thousand oaks.  Will also check out mission motorsports later since they are right by my work

Offline cooligan

• 599cc
  • cooligan's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '09 Yamaha WR250X Supermoto
« Reply #27 on: 01/25/14 06:07AM »
checked the vin.  Has a 3 for that digit.  Cant find the emission sticker, I highly doubt it ever had one.  Guess it's going up for sale.  Shame, its a really cool bike, just need it to do more for me than bomb the desert.  If anyone is in the market for a nice WR426 pm me I guess.  I will be unloading it for cheap.  Does anyone my size have any reviews on the WR250R or the CRF250L?  I have researched them and watched the vids already, just asking for more info.  The more sources I have the better.  If they dont have the power to get me around on the street I might start looking for an XR650R again or that plated YZ426. (thanks for that breakdirt, I would have never found that) :29:

hey koconut i have the WR250X, same exact as the WR250R but with 17" street wheels. i'm about your size or bigger from what i recall, and i ride this baby like it's got a ton of power even though it doesnt, and it never gives up. i tend to ride high up on the tank motocross style and it feels very close to a YZ or bigger WR if you have experience with those. ive had mine for over a year now and have done off-road trails, city riding, and track days on it. ive done all that on 70/30-track tires, no knobbies.  this thing is a BLAST.

the meat of the power is around mid-high rpm, but good bottom-end too. suspension is fully adjustable, albeit soft even at max settings. the CRF's isnt fully adjustible. plenty of aftermarket parts. if you've seen & read the reviews on the X, youll know that it's widely regarded as the best 250 streetable dirt bike since it came out.

i live in your 'hood. PM me if you wanna meet up to check it out.   :7:
« Last Edit: 01/25/14 06:09AM by cooligan »

mbstr

« Reply #28 on: 01/25/14 06:43AM »
Dumb question.... Why are you buying a new bike when u can buy a one year old that has all the goodies already  on it for half the price?

scott777

« Reply #29 on: 01/25/14 09:12AM »
Couple of reasons Todd. First, the only used WR250R within 100 miles from my house on Cycle Trader is a used '08 with almost 12,000 miles on it and it's listed for $4,999; so not really a bargain compared to a new 2014 with a factory warranty at $7,000 OTD. Factory financing rates are 5% on new bikes right now. And, most importantly, while I always buy my cars Certified Used and save thousands of dollars, for some reason I like my bikes to be virgins. If I could find like a 2010 with 5000 miles or so for $3,500 I would probably take it, but only if a dealer was selling it so if it breaks or is a lemon I have some chance on getting it fixed. I haven't seen anything close to that in the few weeks I've been looking though.
« Last Edit: 01/25/14 10:49AM by scott »

Offline cooligan

• 599cc
  • cooligan's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '09 Yamaha WR250X Supermoto
« Reply #30 on: 01/25/14 11:56AM »
FWIW- i was able to find my 09 WR for $2999 OTD used with 8k miles and precisely with all the aftermarket goodies that i had on on my shopping list already installed. hard to find a deal like that, but definitely are out there.

scott777

« Reply #31 on: 01/25/14 01:03PM »
FWIW- i was able to find my 09 WR for $2999 OTD used with 8k miles and precisely with all the aftermarket goodies that i had on on my shopping list already installed. hard to find a deal like that, but definitely are out there.
Sweet deal! I would buy that in a heartbeat.

And darn you Koconut... You got me all jacked up again looking at the less expensive Honda and Kawi 250's. Do you have any links for the CRF250 mods you were talking about? So far, the best OTD price I've found on a WR250R is $7,200 for a 2014. I can't even find a dealer with a 2013 to sell me (even though the have them advertised). My earlier post on here reminded me that picking up one of these was "ok because it would be a cheap toy." $7,200 doesn't exactly fall into the cheap category.

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01/25/14 02:00PM »
hey Scott,
No 7200 is not cheap.  I actually went down to Mission Motorsports today since they had both bikes in stock.  They are both looked almost the exact same size but then I sat on them.  I tried the Honda first and it squished down a good 3 inches as soon as I put my body weight on it.  Also, the pegs seemed a little bit high and the bars were def low spec.  Then I sat on the Yamaha, what a difference!  the WR almost didnt even compress when I sat on it.  Prob only about an inch or so.  The bars were better quality, in a better position for me and the pegs seemed lower which gave me more room.  Now, that being said, is it worth another 1700 or so???  I dont think so, but thats up to the individual.  Those WR's are sweeeeet, but not that sweet.  Here are some of the vids I've been watching on the youtubes.

http://youtu.be/kZwWt8l5-Ss

http://youtu.be/eR8_SKxWVYU

http://youtu.be/i4mWG1Kr4zA

Interesting thought i just had.  Honda is updating the CBR250 next year to a 300.  Since the CBR and CRF share the same engine, I wonder if they'll do the same with the CRF250L????   :36:

mbstr

« Reply #33 on: 01/25/14 02:11PM »
Talked to the owner of this 600 today and he loves it but said it was crap stock, Had to change the carb and a bunch of stuff!

scott777

« Reply #34 on: 01/25/14 02:24PM »
Thanks Koconut. I've sat on all of them, and the Yamaha definitely feels more like a serious dirt bike. But I'm with ya... for what I'm looking to be doing and for the money I just can't justify it. I got all caught up in the idea of having "the ultimate" bike, but realistically, I'm not going to be riding at the max of either machine, so why pay for it? Just so I can say I have it? Not worth it. Cycle Trader has tons of the CRF's for under $4,500, throw on a few mods and I'll be into for a total around that $5-5,300 range... $2,000 cheaper than the best deal I could get on a WR and that was all the way down in San Diego! This is why I never let myself buy something until I've had a few weeks to marinate on it first. I'm too impulsive for my own good!

Todd...  I've read up on those DRZ's and everyone who has one loves them, but they all have a list of about $1,200 worth of mods they had to do first.

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01/25/14 02:40PM »

Todd...  I've read up on those DRZ's and everyone who has one loves them, but they all have a list of about $1,200 worth of mods they had to do first.

Not only that, but they are kind of ancient as far as theyre design compared these new 250's.  Still have carbs and are still air cooled.  You could never upgrade past that.  I was looking at the XR650's and those reasons kind of stopped me from getting one.  Now that I think about it, I believe the WR250 is nearly the same price as an XR650L.  I think the Honda will be a better value...if only I could find a used WR at a decent price.

mbstr

« Reply #36 on: 01/25/14 03:00PM »
Yeah he said it sucked on the freeway also, The wind gets under the fender and acts as a parachute! :6:

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01/26/14 10:50PM »
Hate to put it here but posted the bike for sale.  Special price for OCMoto members.  Any takers???????
« Last Edit: 01/26/14 10:56PM by KOCONUT »

scott777

« Reply #38 on: 01/27/14 01:07AM »
Hate to put it here but posted the bike for sale.  Special price for OCMoto members.  Any takers???????
$20 and a case of beer?

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02/03/14 06:46PM »
Test rode the WR250R and the CRF250L back to back today and got it on video.  I'm uploading right now, will link to this page

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 48 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything