Topic: Dual sport/Supermoto street legal? 2001 WR426  (Read 16451 times)

mbstr

Re: Dual sport/Supermoto street legal? 2001 WR426
« Reply #40 on: 02/03/14 07:41PM »
Test rode the WR250R and the CRF250L back to back today and got it on video.  I'm uploading right now, will link to this page
Whats your favorite!  ??? :42: :42: :42: :42: :42: :42: :42: :43:

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
  • Years Riding: since 2010
« Reply #41 on: 02/03/14 08:11PM »
HA!!!  The Yamaha was nice, def felt more dirt capable.  The suspension was super stiff, strong motor too.  But the Honda was by far a better street package and soooooooooo smooth!  The clutch, gearbox, engine, everything was butter on that thing.  Super comfortable and the engine didnt seem like it was giving up very much if anything when compared to the WR.  This was strictly a street ride, dont think the dealer would go for an off road test ride.  The Honda just had a more polished package at a way more competitive price.  The guages, were really nice to have on the Honda too.  Another thing to think about, I am 5,11" and when I came to a stop on the WR, I was on my very tip toes at stops.  The Honda suited me much better, could almost flat foot it.  The only place where I could think of where the WR came out on top, for me, was the brakes.  The Honda's are very weak by comparison.

Link to me riding the WR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHgfXdZTido&feature=youtu.be

and the CRF
http://youtu.be/7DZlLkuuvFw
« Last Edit: 02/03/14 09:14PM by KOCONUT »

scott777

« Reply #42 on: 02/04/14 02:05AM »
Dude... mission has demos?!?! How did you get a demo ride? What sales guy did you talk to because I'm heading there tomorrow! And, they had a 2013 WR250R? I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

I went to Mission when all this started for me a month ago. I was talking with a cool sales guy, friendly knowledgeable and all, told him to let me go home and think about it, then he passed off my number to some clown! The next day the clown guy called me, I actually said, "I'll buy the Honda. What's your price?" And I meant it! His response was, "It's $4,999." I said, "Is that your OTD price?" He said, "No. Tax and setup fees are extra." I said, "You and everyone else has them on Cycletrader for like $4,500?" He said, "$4,999 is our price. I don't know what to tell you." I said, "Well, ok then. Thanks for calling," and hung up on him. Literally, that was the entire conversation! So who did you talk with?
« Last Edit: 02/04/14 02:31AM by scott »

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02/04/14 06:19AM »
I talked to a guy named Bobby.  Pretty nice guy, set everything up and had both bikes ready for me pretty quickly after I showed up.  I also explained I was a motivated buyer and was paying cash, might have had something to do with being able to ride both at the same time. :26:

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #44 on: 02/04/14 08:00AM »
nice videos!!!!

a bit too windy for sound...but man does that look like fun...
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

scott777

« Reply #45 on: 02/04/14 08:48AM »
 :32: I'm 90% sure that was the guy that called me!

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02/04/14 09:58AM »
nice videos!!!!

a bit too windy for sound...but man does that look like fun...

So fun!  Like I said, the Honda stood out to me.  The fact that its thousands less is an awesome bonus.  Think I might have to retire the contour, no external mic for sound and the wind noise is terrible on it.

scott777

« Reply #47 on: 02/04/14 11:00PM »
So went down to Mission today and ya... Bobby was the guy that called me that day! Awkward! We talked it out, and he is a pretty cool guy, so...

I rode the Yamaha first. First impression was it was pretty gutless. After a few minutes of riding, pulled into a parking lot to check the wheelie factor. Power seemed to be a little more than first thought, but without clutching it, had to pull on the bars pretty hard to lift the front wheel even in first. Everything else about the bike is great! And the power thing strikes me as something a few mods would vastly improve.

Got back, had to track down the sales guy (took 5 minutes) then jumped on the Honda. Koconut is right about that bike... everything about it is smooth. Did notice a little less power, but it didn't really stand out. The brakes were terrible!!! So bad, that compared to everything I've read and watched researching out the bikes, I honestly think they needed to be bled on that particular bike. All the professional reviewers would have mentioned those brakes. And in all the reviews, they all say they are equal, so... The wheelie factor needed a little more effort on the Honda, but it got it off the ground. By the time I was almost back, I was on the Honda bandwagon too. I figured if I was going to have to dump some money in both to uncork them, why not save a few grand and buy the Honda? They seemed that close to me.

When I got back, I told that to Bobby. He said, "Wow. 2 for 2. I didn't see that coming." That struck something in me and I asked for the keys to the Yamaha again. Took a real quick spin and wow!!! What a difference!!! Going from the Yamaha to the Honda with 5 minutes time in between really made the Honda seem close. Going from the Honda to the Yamaha with about 2 minutes in between was a night and day experience! Way more power, way better suspension, way better brakes (I know), way better bike all around. Worth $2,000 more??? Yes.

To make matters worse, Saturday I stopped by So Cal Triumph/Ducati to demo the 899. Too many people, so I told Chris I would be back this week. Since I was out demo'ing bikes already, what the heck. Long story short... Hypermotard!!!! Honestly, those 250's really left me with the feeling of "glorified moped power." Not so much on the Ducati. What a kick a$$ ride that thing is!  :27:

With no money down:
Honda CRF250L about $110 a month
Yamaha WR250R about $155 a month
Ducati Hypermotard about $230 a month
Insurance on the Ducati is about $250 more a year than either the Yamaha or Honda when added in with my Storm.
Having a bike that I can actually ride on the freeway easily, ride on trails (I would only be doing mild ones with any bike I get anyway), and puts a huge smile on my face every time I twist the grip...
 :1:

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02/05/14 08:36AM »
nice review!!!

can one of you get the crf, and the other get the wr, then trade off?

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02/05/14 12:18PM »
welllll, I found a WR for sale.  Used, private party, but the price is right and it looks brand new.  Will most likely go look at it today or tomorrow. 

Offline Mud

« Reply #50 on: 02/05/14 12:20PM »
Either one should work great. Both have to have suspension set up for your weight, its just the wr is a bit easier for that to happen.

Read some places that the front brake is horrible until it breaks in. Must be the pad.

CRF is also shorter, but both can be lowered easily. Shorter seat height is better on trails, but more ground clearance is also better.

Dont get the hypermotard if you are even thinking of doing dirt with it.

scott777

« Reply #51 on: 02/05/14 12:49PM »
Either one should work great. Both have to have suspension set up for your weight, its just the wr is a bit easier for that to happen.

Read some places that the front brake is horrible until it breaks in. Must be the pad.

CRF is also shorter, but both can be lowered easily. Shorter seat height is better on trails, but more ground clearance is also better.

Dont get the hypermotard if you are even thinking of doing dirt with it.

I saw that about the brakes late last night on a forum. If that's the case it would need to be a drastic improvement after they break-in. But I guess that's what it is. To compare, the Yamaha was an easy 1 finger pull while the Honda was a serious 2 finger pull and just mush.

I was up late last night on youtube checking out that Hypermotard and Hyperstrada. I gotta tell ya, that bike is seriously a kick to ride. When I got back from the test ride I was so pumped about it I immediately called to check insurance because I was ready to sign the contact! If the sales guy would have said, "List out the door," it was sold, and I never make purchases like that. Thankfully he uses a softer sales approach and let me get out the door with, "Let me do some research..." Damn that bike is sweet. Quick, nimble, great seating position, can feel the quality, and that Ducati sound...

Now that my excitement from riding that Duc has calmed down, I'm back to thinking about why am I buying a bike? And the answer is so I can go play in the dirt. How much do I love that Ducati? I love my Storm and don't ever plan on parting with it. But the idea of trading it for that Duc and WR is a serious thought right now.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02/05/14 02:15PM »
Yup, you gotta separate the duties...I've always kept a sport bike (or something 80hp or higher) and get a separate dirt-only model

Why not keep the storm and get a wr?

The hyper is a stupid fun bike, but won't be a comfortable sport tourer like the strom

scott777

« Reply #53 on: 02/05/14 02:31PM »
I know. I'm weighing all my options right now. Thought I was confused before? I'm over bike shopping now, so I should have something by the end of the week.

mbstr

« Reply #54 on: 02/05/14 02:39PM »
welllll, I found a WR for sale.  Used, private party, but the price is right and it looks brand new.  Will most likely go look at it today or tomorrow.
This is your best bet! :1:

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 02/05/14 04:28PM »
scott - you know that you can rent too, right?

one issue I had with a dirtbike is - there isn't enough dirt nearby...we were realistically only riding Gorman 2-3 times/year...and hitting the dirt once/month elsewhere...it just didn't add up for me just yet...

the good part is you (hopefully) have a flexible schedule...so you can make it happen

if not, consider just renting a dirtbike for the day, and see if you would use it often

scott777

« Reply #56 on: 02/06/14 09:35PM »
scott - you know that you can rent too, right?

Renting is an option. Or....

Bought that baby today! Ducati Hyperstrada. I'm in love  :12: Here's one with the side bags it came with

The white piping is just a refection from the flash.

Never thought I would do it, but I traded in the Storm. I loved that bike. But this is just on a whole other level  :27:

mbstr

« Reply #57 on: 02/06/14 09:48PM »
Nice, When are you going to buy a dirt bike? :26:

scott777

« Reply #58 on: 02/06/14 09:55PM »

lol... oh it's hitting the dirt! It won't be doing MX tracks, but I'm down for all the trails you want to hit up. I can't freakin wait actually! Rode it home in the rain tonight while performing the "Run it Hard" break-in strategy. You know I hate riding in the rain... I was giggling the way home. Traction Control and ABS are beautiful things in the wet.

Offline Mud

« Reply #59 on: 02/06/14 10:22PM »

lol... oh it's hitting the dirt! It won't be doing MX tracks, but I'm down for all the trails you want to hit up. I can't freakin wait actually! Rode it home in the rain tonight while performing the "Run it Hard" break-in strategy. You know I hate riding in the rain... I was giggling the way home. Traction Control and ABS are beautiful things in the wet.

lol.......... take it to silverwood tomorrow.....lol

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 48 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything