Topic: Dual sport/Supermoto street legal? 2001 WR426  (Read 14251 times)

mbstr

Re: Dual sport/Supermoto street legal? 2001 WR426
« Reply #60 on: 02/06/14 10:26PM »
Nice, When are you going to buy a dirt bike? :26:

lol... oh it's hitting the dirt! It won't be doing MX tracks, but I'm down for all the trails you want to hit up. I can't freakin wait actually! Rode it home in the rain tonight while performing the "Run it Hard" break-in strategy. You know I hate riding in the rain... I was giggling the way home. Traction Control and ABS are beautiful things in the wet.

lol.......... take it to silverwood tomorrow.....lol
:32:

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #61 on: 02/07/14 08:44AM »
congrats Scott!!!

it's one hell of a bike and a ton of fun!

you can do silverwood...just stay off the black diamond sections...or better yet, start out at santiago peak!
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline Dan

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Dan's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 01 CBR 929RR
  • Years Riding: Since 04'
« Reply #62 on: 02/07/14 10:12AM »

To make matters worse, Saturday I stopped by So Cal Triumph/Ducati to demo the 899. Too many people, so I told Chris I would be back this week. Since I was out demo'ing bikes already, what the heck. Long story short... Hypermotard!!!! Honestly, those 250's really left me with the feeling of "glorified moped power." Not so much on the Ducati. What a kick a$$ ride that thing is!  :27:

congrats on the bike!

i was going to add on the 899. my buddy came down a couple of weeks ago to ride and rented the 899. brand new, although it had acquired 1500 miles on it already. i rode it around for half an hour. did not feel like it was built for me that's for sure. i'm a little biased as far as the size of bikes. been riding a cbr929 for so long that mostly everything these days feels tiny when i sit on it (haba-haba). so yeah the first i noticed is that it disappeared between my legs ;). but againno biggie, just something i need to get used to in general. after riding for a while my knees didn't feel like they were aligning right with the shape of the bike either. next thing i noticed was that the handlebars seems to be more straight which required my elbows to be more straight which ended up making me put most of my weight on my wrists and started hurting after a while. so the whole position on it didn't seem to work for me. but i'm sure it works for others?! i'm 6'2 185lbs for reference.

the next thing i noticed, which apparently is no big secret, was the heat hitting my junk, thighs and feet. i actually rode it in the evening and it was a little chilli at the time so it worked out good that i had that permanent heat on me, but trying to imagine it in the canyons in the middle of the day didn't seem like fun. so i guess that's a double edge sword.

lastly comes the power. i tried my best to get the front wheel off the floor using power in first. i failed. then we realized that the bike was in "wet" mode. so we changed it to "race" mode but at this point it was back to my buddy to ride. he tried as well and was able to get it off the floor a little. but seemed like he was working over time for it. he was using the forks like a trampoline. i would say neither of us are wheelie experts and i'm sure that one with more skill should be able to get it off the floor without using the clutch no problem?! all i know is on my 929 if i yank on the throttle like i was yanking on this, i would be on my ass instantly. ...

lastly, while we were doing a 300 mile ride or so and where down by julien, it took at least 7 different cranks to start. on a couple of other locations it took 2 or 3. so i don't know if it is because it was a rental and it was beat up on or what. like i said it did have 1500 miles on it.

on the bright side, the shifting and the breaking were very smooth and quick according to both of us :)
almost forgot, it was refreshing to be on a bike on the fwy and do 75-80 and only be in 4th gear. that's right around 65-7k rpm and it felt just right. if you put it in 6th gear it felt under powered... a lot. but the top end limit felt limitless. i don't get to enjoy that on my 929 since im in 6th gear at 6k rpm at 80mph. that has to do with having sprockets -1/+3 which also has to do with the effortless power wheelies in 1st.
but the 899 definitely needs to be kept at 6500 rom to have the power on tap. anything less is like driving a civic in 4th gear when you should be in 2nd.
« Last Edit: 02/07/14 10:22AM by Dan »

scott777

« Reply #63 on: 02/07/14 02:28PM »
Thanks guys. And Dan, I was reading in the Ducati forums about getting the front wheel up. Apparently you have to have the abs and traction control on both the right setting or it will keep the wheel down. I was breaking the back tire loose everywhere last night on roads that were only damp in 3rd gear, so I'm sure the more powerful 899 can power that wheel off the ground.

Break, Todd and Mud, as soon as the ground drys out a bit, let's go!

Koconut get his bike yet? I know he mentioned that used one... Update?

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
  • Years Riding: since 2010
« Reply #64 on: 02/07/14 06:46PM »
I will be going to look at the used WR on Saturday.  The only problem is I have the 426 for sale and dont really have any room for another bike.  If not that one, then I will prob take the 426 down to mission and talk with them about trading it in.  We will look at the numbers for the WR and CRF and what they can do with them to get me the best deal for my situation.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02/07/14 10:48PM »
scott...I might have to wait...currently dirtbikeless

(unless we go to a red/green sticker area and I borrow Todd's Lydia...)

Offline Persay

« Reply #66 on: 03/01/14 05:38AM »
like this..

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 03/22/14 09:15PM »
street legal WR400f for $2,000

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/4377083179.html

Quote from: ad
Not really a commuter bike, mainly a desert bike with a plate for riding in areas where a regular dirt bike can't go

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 40 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything