Topic: Honda's Back! 2014 Interceptor (VFR 800) coming state-side!  (Read 2633 times)

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
  • I see what you did there.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 86 Vulcan 750, 98 VFR800 FI, 14 VFR800FE
  • Years Riding: Since Nov '11
Well we knew it was coming to EU, and then Canada, but now Honda finally announced it'll land state-side. Looks like I have a goal for a new bike by 2015!

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/interceptor.aspx

Honda's iconic V-4 powerplants have an alluring character all their own, a unique combination of torque, an aggressive rush of power as the tach needle swings up into the meaty part of the powerband, and a certain texture to the engine feel that tells you this could only be a Honda V-4. The new Interceptor® has all of that and more, including a chassis with that special Honda blend of agility and comfort that strikes an ideal balance for all-day rides on your favorite twisting roads. A stout single-side swingarm and radial-mounted front brakes make sport riding especially fun, and a front-mounted radiator gives the Interceptor a slim profile. To ensure long-term comfort, the Interceptor has upright, neutral ergonomics as well as an adjustable seat. This is a sport bike with plenty of emphasis on sport, plus the versatility for commuting, two-up fun rides and long-haul sport touring. The Deluxe model adds ABS, Traction Control, grip heaters, self-canceling turn signals, and a centerstand for riders wanting even more features. Colors: Red, Pearl White; Price: $12,499 - $13,499; Availability: May

On top of that they're releasing a CBR650F to compete with the Ninja 650. Good call Honda!

All the new models: http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=7569-en

Offline cdeagle

I just saw this yesterday and logged in to PM you about it today! How cool does this thing look, too? LOADS better than that fugly VFR 1200!!

I'm so happy to see the Interceptor back in the US and now I'm REALLY conflicted about my "next bike" - which is still a couple of years down the road anyway. GOSH. DECISIONS ARE STUPID/AWESOME.

I'm a little confused about the CBR650F - I thought the CBR500R was designed to compete with the Ninja 650 (though less powerful/expensive) and now this 650 comes out, which is obviously a direct jab at the Ninja 650...but where does that leave the CBR500R?

Also the "F" designation is confusing. In the 500 range the CB500F is the Naked bike, but we're calling the CBR650 an "F"? What does F stand for?

I'm LOVING the stock exhaust on the CBR650F, though. I think it looks a lot better than the VFR 800 Exhaust which basically looks like my CBR500R. Big shiny tube stuck to the side of your motorcycle.

Seems like the VFR has more aggressive rider position based on eyeball comparison of the 650F and the Interceptor.

Edited to add: Just noticed that the CBR650F is a 4 cylinder. That's definitely a major point of differentiation between the CBR500R and the Ninja 650.
« Last Edit: 02/05/14 07:43AM by cdeagle »

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
The 500's were made for EU primarily. It wouldn't surprise me if they only released them here for 2-3 years before dropping the 300 and 650 on the US market. Honda says there's another round of announcements, so let's hope the 300 is there (to replace the aging 250r).

With an I4 650 engine, it sounds like it's looking directly at the FZ6R as competition (still same class as the Ninja, just an I4). Good on Honda to shake up their lineup a bit.

All I know is, the VFR1200 "Shamoo" was never anything I cared for.

Edit: Looks like the 650F has both faired and nonfaired options. The naked looks SLICK!

« Last Edit: 02/05/14 08:18AM by thtanner »

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17
Also the "F" designation is confusing. In the 500 range the CB500F is the Naked bike, but we're calling the CBR650 an "F"? What does F stand for?

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/dictionary/F.htm

F (Motorcycle designation suffix) - Four-stroke engine (eg. Honda CRF230F, Yamaha WR450F)

Liking the new VFR.  A lot.  Glad that they returned to the original motor, although I'm no fan of V-tec.

Ride on,

J~
« Last Edit: 02/05/14 09:31AM by Snapshot »
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ViciousCycle

At 529 lbs., VFR800 is Baby Shamu.

« Last Edit: 02/05/14 10:55AM by ViciousCycle »

scott777

There's always been something about the VFR's that I just like. Those pipes on the naked look sick!

Offline KOCONUT

• 749cc
  • KOCONUT's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
  • Years Riding: since 2010

Liking the new VFR.  A lot.  Glad that they returned to the original motor, although I'm no fan of V-tec.

Ride on,

J~

I'm loving the new VFR too, even if its just basically stepping back a gen.  Was hoping someday that they would return to the gear driven cams, but that day is prob never going to happen.  Still looks great though, cant wait for the RWB anniversary edition!!!

:43:

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 39, Years Training Riders: 17

Ride on,

J~

I'm loving the new VFR too, even if its just basically stepping back a gen.  Was hoping someday that they would return to the gear driven cams, but that day is prob never going to happen.  Still looks great though, cant wait for the RWB anniversary edition!!!

:43:

I agree about the cams.  Everyone seems to complain about the whine they make, but it means more available horsepower.  Easier to do valve service on, too.  Still wondering why they don't put them in their race machines.

Bonus - While the VFR may weigh a bit, it's an amazingly flickable machine.  It only feels heavy when you're stopped.  And you can do a 400-mile day without discomfort.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline blamecanada

+1 on the gear driven cams...watching my roommate do valve service on an RC-51 sold me on that setup, who cares if it makes some noise, well worth it

Offline gene

• 50cc
  • gene's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 750F
  • Years Riding: 4
Trying to decide if I should:

1. Save up for the new 2014 Honda Interceptor VFR 800. It'll probably cost $15-16k all in, and I'll need to get full insurance, which will cost $160 per month (as opposed to $125/year that I currently pay for liability-only). Benefits -- new, awesome motorcycle, ABS, traction control, heated handgrips etc. etc.

2. Buy another 1996 Honda VFR 750 (the exact same bike I ride now, which I love), $3000 on craigslist, pops up every now and again. Benefits....I mean, I would be saving a ton of money just on insurance alone. But, it's an 18 year old bike -- parts are hard to come by. Also, no ABS, traction control, etc.

Offline khoachino

After looking at the pictures, im happy with my 07  vft vtch...and happy that the new bike isn't that attractive to me
« Last Edit: 03/21/14 07:26AM by khoachino »

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile
gene, I feel you on that decision. I really like the new VFR, but my 5th gen does everything I ask and more, so I've put off lusting after the new one.

I see you have a 750, have you tried an 800 (pre-VTEC)? The FI is really nice (if you like that sort of thing). The power delivery is instant, but smooth with the right amount of throttle control. I know some of the VFRheads that love the 750s are not a fan of FI. I can't do the VTEC model due to the lack of geared cams and the uneven power delivery.

If you can afford the new bike, though, you probably won't regret it. It's plethora of electrical options and do-dads are nice. The only model to go for would be the higher end one for sure. Visually it's very nice looking, shedding all the weight that shamoo has (the 1200 VFR).

If a new bike may be a stretch, maybe consider a 5th generation or.. another 750. I was able to find my 98 w/ only 1200 miles on it. The PO had just got it back up to spec, new rubber, etc, and sold it. I paid $4k, which is definitely the high-end on a used VFR of that age, but the mileage and condition sold me on it. It's basically a brand new bike and I couldn't be happier.

The new VFR is apparently very much like the 6th generation, so if you are not a fan of it then you may not care for the new one.

Offline gene

• 50cc
  • gene's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 750F
  • Years Riding: 4
I haven't tried a 5th gen -- I may look into that too.  I also want to avoid the early VTEC models.  From what I've read, the latest model has smoothed out the power delivery.

Offline Sonny600RR

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Sonny600RR's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 04 CBRf4i (SOLD), 05 CBR600RR(SOLD)
  • Years Riding: Never Enough.
the naked!!!!!
Simple Smokes
    7835 Westminster Blvd
   Westminster, CA 92683

CALIFORNIA KINGS TATTOO
     3213 N Glassell St
      Orange, CA 92865
         Ask for ADAM

Offline Irvine_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Irvine_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: *bikeless*
  • Years Riding: Since 1981

LOL dry weight on my "touring" bike (r1200rt) is 508 pounds!
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline thtanner

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thtanner's Gallery
    • View Profile

LOL dry weight on my "touring" bike (r1200rt) is 508 pounds!

Which is quite nice, actually. The VFR1200 is 585 wet! Crazy heavy in comparison. My ST1100 weighed over 600lb...

My VFR is right at 500 wet. I'm a big guy so that kind of weight doesn't bother me, in fact I kind of prefer it. I have no problem flicking it around Palomar!

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 58 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything