Topic: The dirt bike thread!  (Read 153264 times)

Offline FastMoto

• 998cc
  • FastMoto's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 05 Busa, 08 GSA
  • Years Riding: 12
Re: The dirt bike thread!
« Reply #1300 on: 09/28/17 07:26AM »
Time to fix up my dual-sport and get it ready.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #1301 on: 09/28/17 01:48PM »
Desert season is coming...

I am also trying to surf/ski/desert ride in the same day this winter!
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: 10/02/17 04:40PM »
Just dropped off WR transmission to the shop...they said they'd start it "in the next couple days"

Short of splitting the cases myself and bringing cleaned up case halves with the crankshaft out ready for a rebuild like, I am not sure what else I can do to make it easier for the work to get done...they originally said 2-3 weeks from the time I dropped it off, but that usually means they start it 1-2 weeks later and takes an extra 1-2 weeks to finish it

Here's to hoping they can get it done within 1 month and be done by November 4th weekend for a shake down run...

In the mean time I will get the rest worked on short of the motor

But honestly I am losing a little steam for upgrades...$400 shock + $500 ported cylinder + $200 Baja designs LED headlamp is kind of "meh" to me...Kinda just want a solid bottom end for sure, use my good top end, fresh chain/sprockets/brakes with everything working properly, and maybe budget the shock and ported cylinder next year

Let me get a running bike first. Let's start going on rides as I save up for mods. Already getting a WR gearbox so it will already feel like a new bike :hellyeah:

Also the landwhale bearings got me thinking about about maybe R&R all the bearings on the YZ as well. Next year.

Rogue

« Reply #1303 on: 10/02/17 08:10PM »
I upgraded my DR headlight bulb to a 3800 lumen LED and the result was Meh....at low beam.  Very good at high beam.  I plan to just replace the whole headlight with a true LED unit but I'm waiting for a bracket made by someone who plans to sell to the public.  I briefly considered the Baja Designs lights but they're mainly for dirt bike conversions. 

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: 10/10/17 11:39AM »
yup...also tried the LED bulb...it also burned out pretty quickly and somehow shorted the rest of the lighting system LOL

I just added the $13 LED light from amazon...amazing flood visibility too!

GOOD NEWS: got a call from the shop yesterday!

they finally got around to splitting the cases and taking a look inside:
-minus the crank/bearings/debris - everything on the inside looked good. Cases are saved!
-the WR transmission parts appear to be in good shape as well - hopefully we have all the parts we need to drop them in
-the crankshaft does need to be mailed out for a rebuild (pretty sure last mechanic said they're unavailable anyways)

their estimated turn around is roughly 2 more weeks...so bike *may* be done by the November 4th weekend for a shakedown run!

bad news is my work schedule may not accommodate for me to get the whole weekend off...I may only do LAB2V day one...LA-> barstow...bummer.

on the other hand, I'm spending WAY less doing this my way right now. I saved $500ish by dropping off the bottom end out of the bike for a rebuild and I will save another $400 just by doing day 1 (day 2 is $150 but then add Vegas hotel + gas)

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #1305 on: 10/10/17 05:41PM »
I'm sure the girls at Treasures will find a good use of that extra $900  :31:
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: 10/23/17 01:44PM »
Let's go!

I am down!!

Just got a call from the shop...bottom end done with wide ratio transmission installed!!

Should hopefully be doing a shakedown run next weekend

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
« Reply #1307 on: 10/23/17 09:24PM »
Weekend of Nov 3-5 me and some friends are staying out at ElMirage. You're welcome to join us. I will likely just do a day trip sat or sunday.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: 10/24/17 12:49PM »
Strong maybe!!

I will do my best to get her back together

Wicked pissa!

Oh baby I want to spend the rest of the day just doing this and only this

Offline SoCal250

• Two-stroke nut
  • 599cc
  • SoCal250's Gallery
  • Smelling like freshly burned VP & Motul 710!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 79 Yamaha RD400F, 05 Yamaha FZ6, 91 Yamaha TZR250R, 75 Yamaha RD125B, and others
  • Years Riding: quite a while
« Reply #1309 on: 10/24/17 01:58PM »
^^^  :7:
Did you find out what caused the hole in the piston and resolve that? Was the timing off?

Before running it hard be sure to do a leak-down test and set the timing to spec or you will be going through the rebuild process again.

Offline kp

« Reply #1310 on: 10/24/17 03:09PM »
“Weekend of Nov 3-5 El Mirage”…

Last event of the season for SCTA at el mirage Nov. 4th & 5th. With Bonneville rained out it should be great racing.
I went last weekend and they ran Sunday. The weather was perfect but the lake bed was loose and cars started spinning.
Riding both days I have never seen so many BLM around the lake, it stops most of the playful goofiness like mini bikes /go carts, the army plane and bunny slipper. But It also pushes the squids off the lake and into the bushes so riding is real busy till you make the foothills.
Ride out of sight of the lakebed and you will see no one, that’s worth the entrance fee right there.

Offline Kyle_A

• 749cc
  • Kyle_A's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha WR450, 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2017 CRF 250R
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #1311 on: 11/05/17 05:20PM »
Elsinore MX was great today!  Been riding track a few times  a month.  With that,  I’m looking for a suspension tuning service in the IE.  anyone have a place they recommend?  Thanks

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
  • The Huntington Hillbilly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 03 Wr450 plated, 76 Rd 400, 78 Yz250, 79 Yz 125, 78 Yz100,
  • Years Riding: Cant remember
« Reply #1312 on: 11/05/17 07:03PM »
Give Tjs buddie Nick a call he used to work at Enzo and can probably help you out, # Pmnd.
Bikers are good people!

Offline Kyle_A

• 749cc
  • Kyle_A's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2006 Yamaha WR450, 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2017 CRF 250R
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #1313 on: 11/05/17 07:33PM »
Thanks Todd!

Offline FZ1_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FZ1_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FE 501
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #1314 on: 11/05/17 08:05PM »
I've heard good things about these guys: http://www.provalvemx.com/

Do you know them, Todd?
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: 11/06/17 08:11AM »
I've heard good things about these guys: http://www.provalvemx.com/

Do you know them, Todd?
I know of them but never a customer.
Bikers are good people!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: 11/06/17 12:35PM »

well, well, well...finally got to spend some time on the bike

took me a good hour to swap the exhaust valve parts between cylinders :lol:

could not figure out how the damn thing was supposed to come out...service manual just said "remove bolt, remove assembly". After you take out a screw, the two halves just push out from each side. A rubber o-ring on the right side was blocking it from coming out, but you just gotta push it. Assembly into the other cylinder was also pretty nervous as I wasn't sure how close the tolerances were between cylinders for it to work. New seals/o-rings installed with a little oil on the parts and they move smoothly without touching the piston. I cleaned the parts the best I could with WD40 and a rag, but there was some carbon build up that looks permanent from when it overheated.

this exhaust valve was quite different from the RM125 - there was no spring tension that you can wind. It didn't slide up and down; it just rotated on an axle to open and close. It also didn't have nearly as much collection of spooge as the RM collected...so "cleaning" the parts wouldn't help it with sticking when it's cold...just gotta let the bike warm up. I kinda like it that way since one less thing to clean from a maintenance standpoint.

now came the dreaded part - wrestling the motor back into the bike.

To my surprise, it was *so* easy; like less than a minute to get into the frame, and another 5-10 mins to line up the swingarm bolt with the motor and swingarm. I remember wrestling the XR100R and RM125 motors for almost an hour because you had to get the perfect angle to get the motors in. No such issue with this bike...so the bottom end is now back in the bike.

the WR swingarm, however is a bit different than the yz...as I understand it has a different chain adjuster, so I've got a few more parts to buy.

I wanted to try the old reed valves first to see how different it was from the boyesen rad valve, but there was just so much debris from the piston explosion that I didn't want to chance anything getting into the new cylinder. Rad valve will go straight on.

next stops: piston/cylinder back on, new air filter, refill transmission oil/coolant and she should fire up. I will also do the chain/sprockets...dropping down from 55-60 to 33 hours next week so I will have a good amount of time to work on it...still need a rear tire too at a minimum to do LAB2V...so it may be cutting it a little close because I'd need at least a couple shake down runs to make sure the bike is 100%

almost there!

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: 11/08/17 08:40PM »
had a tricky time getting in the piston circlip...flathead screwdriver for me

could not get a torque wrench in, so torqued the back nuts, "felt" the tightness, and manually tightened the front

ordered a new/used cylinder to replace the previous head...had a lot of overheated debris melted to the dome

I also made very careful not to improperly seat the cylinder head gasket to prevent the pinch/leak issue I had the first time around

went straight to the Rad valve instead of re-using the oem valves/cage

note that it has no cage/stop plates...per EG's 2-stroke rebuilding guide, the Rad valve doesn't block the boost ports in the cylinder and better delivers fuel with the offset intake that single shock bikes have

I also stretched the coiling of the throttle cable once when I tried to spin the carb to swap jets. This resulted in a "longer" sheath, "hanging" rpm's, and occasionally high idle. For a long desert ride and $10 for a cable, I best swap it.

ugh...so close, and so dark...

just need to torque the engine bolts, re-pack the muffler, mount the exhaust, put on the gas tank/plastics, swap the chain and sprockets, re-fill the radiator fluid/transmission fluid, and she should be ready to fire up. Will still need a rear tire and long-ride setup for LAB2V...still 50/50 about doing the ride. they need volunteers in the morning to load roll charts and be in the parking lot...plus a handful of LA guys/out-of-towners need a ride from the LA area to Palmdale (couple hours) the night before, or a ride back from Vegas if they're dropping off their truck.

Going to feel like a totally different bike with the re-plated cylinder, RAD Valve, and WR transmission...can't wait!

Offline Rd Todd

• 599cc
  • Rd Todd's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: 11/08/17 09:41PM »
Got a couple a rear tires to choose from no cost to you hit me up...
Bikers are good people!

Offline VFRCapt.Bob

• 599cc
  • VFRCapt.Bob's Gallery
  • The Gentleman's Hooligan
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1998 VFR800/ 2009 FZ1/ 2002 YZ425f
  • Years Riding: 33
« Reply #1319 on: 11/11/17 07:38AM »
Very cool seeing this bike get rebuilt and readied for the desert and trails. I've got to start wrenching on my small fleet for OcotilloWells this Chrustmas break. Feeling more motivated now.
99 VFR800
2009 FZ1
2001 YZ426F

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 66 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook