Topic: The dirt bike thread!  (Read 155876 times)

Offline 92vx800

• 599cc
  • 92vx800's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1992 vx800
  • Years Riding: 1+ street. 11+ dirt
Re: The dirt bike thread!
« Reply #40 on: 03/12/14 12:05PM »
CNG does produce less energy combustion as gasoline, but it's sold as a "gasoline gallon equivalent": I'm buying the amount of CNG that equals the amount of energy found in a gallon of gasoline. So the $2.40/gge I pay for CNG is = $3.79/gallon of gasoline

CNG is also produced in the good 'ole US of A, we have almost completely reached our maximum stores (so the prices stay the same, or go down), and it's helluva lot cleaner burning

the range on most CNG vehicles is ~180-200miles...but I have an "extended range" F-150 with an extra tank under the bed, so it'll go farther. I usually don't go more than 260 miles with the gas light on because I don't want to get stranded. But for a 220 mile round trip for dirt bike riding, it's perfect...it's just not helpful for people that don't live or work near a filling station...for those people - a home filling station that hooks up to your houses' gas line is the best option. Plug in every day you go home, and never go to a gas station again.

Todd - I dropped the Camry off @ Pep Boys for a "overheating" analysis - $34.99...hopefully this should get sorted out by today

over heating analysis seems pretty basic. Check the function of the thermostat, check if the fan is working, check if there is coolant in your oil/oil in your coolant reservoir, any visible obstructions in front of radiator? :26:

Offline 92vx800

• 599cc
  • 92vx800's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03/12/14 12:50PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYUbPb37DJw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BYUbPb37DJw&fs=1</a>

Online thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #42 on: 03/12/14 12:54PM »
Once had a car in at Pep Boys for front end work. Went to pic it up, steering was completely f'ed and the steering wheal was upside down shifting link was screwed up not shifting into reverse. They got steering straitened out but had to adjust shift link myself. Haven't got anything more than a batterie and oil since.
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #43 on: 03/12/14 01:04PM »
over heating analysis seems pretty basic. Check the function of the thermostat, check if the fan is working, check if there is coolant in your oil/oil in your coolant reservoir, any visible obstructions in front of radiator? :26:

thermostat fine, fan working, coolant reservoir kept emptying after 12 days. No visible obstructions on radiator, no fluid puddle under car when parked. They found that the inside of the radiator cap was missing a part, so a little bit leaked from the cap, but the rest of the leak was slow...part of the plastic part of the radiator. It was something they could only figure out by pressure testing it...so I'm not sure I would've caught it on my own...

but yep, you REALLY gotta know what you're doing before/after getting work done at Pep Boys...I only let them do the work when it's a big job (ie. left front hub/wheel bearing on my F-150) and I can't do it on a public street...I also schmooze the counter assistants (bring them a case of water when I drop off the car), and they let me go into the bays and I talk to the mechanic so we're both on the same page about what's getting done. They're also helpful because they're open until 9pm weekdays...
« Last Edit: 03/12/14 01:06PM by breakdirt916 »
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline 92vx800

• 599cc
  • 92vx800's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03/12/14 01:10PM »

thermostat fine, fan working, coolant reservoir kept emptying after 12 days. No visible obstructions on radiator, no fluid puddle under car when parked. They found that the inside of the radiator cap was missing a part, so a little bit leaked from the cap, and the rest leaking around the top of the plastic part of the radiator.

but yep, you REALLY gotta know what you're doing before/after getting work done on a budget...I only let them do the work when it's a big job (ie. left front hub/wheel bearing on my F-150) and I can't do it on a public street...I also schmooze the counter assistants (bring them a case of water when I drop off the car), and they let me go into the bays and have the mechanic show me everything he knows about it

What do you mean, a bearing press and pickle fork aren't in your daily carry? Im just giving you a hard time. I had to deal with a under-heating issue on my car a month ago(themo stuck partially open), so maybe its getting to my head that I think I'm an expert at it. But you did all that I would have.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 03/12/14 01:49PM »
haha, no offense taken...if you read more of my posts you'll see that I welcome help and input from forum members (actually I take more than I give, haha)

yeah, I try to do as much as I can on my own....those shops jack you - charge 20% more on parts, charge 50% more on labor (than a indy mechanic), and sometimes they don't even fix the problem!

Offline 92vx800

• 599cc
  • 92vx800's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03/12/14 01:56PM »
haha, no offense taken...if you read more of my posts you'll see that I welcome help and input from forum members (actually I take more than I give, haha)

yeah, I try to do as much as I can on my own....those shops jack you - charge 20% more on parts, charge 50% more on labor (than a indy mechanic), and sometimes they don't even fix the problem!

Oh they bend you over, flip you over, and get you every which way. Even if they do a misdiagnosis they wont refund you nor give you a deduction on the next go at figuring out the problem. Im just thankfull my dad taught me to turn a wrench and do basic maintenance at an early age.

mbstr

« Reply #47 on: 03/12/14 03:01PM »
Soooo.... Is it fixed??

thermostat fine, fan working, coolant reservoir kept emptying after 12 days. No visible obstructions on radiator, no fluid puddle under car when parked. They found that the inside of the radiator cap was missing a part, so a little bit leaked from the cap, but the rest of the leak was slow...part of the plastic part of the radiator. It was something they could only figure out by pressure testing it...so I'm not sure I would've caught it on my own...

but yep, you REALLY gotta know what you're doing before/after getting work done at Pep Boys...I only let them do the work when it's a big job (ie. left front hub/wheel bearing on my F-150) and I can't do it on a public street...I also schmooze the counter assistants (bring them a case of water when I drop off the car), and they let me go into the bays and I talk to the mechanic so we're both on the same page about what's getting done. They're also helpful because they're open until 9pm weekdays...

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03/12/14 03:18PM »
car fixed!

we're taking the truck!

mbstr

« Reply #49 on: 03/12/14 05:28PM »
Cool beans, 92vx800 gave me spot on directions for good riding in Lucerne and Ill pick up the Kx tomorrow. Ken stuck some new fork seals in er!

mbstr

« Reply #50 on: 03/12/14 08:56PM »
Just watched the first of five episodes of "SUPERCROSS behind the dream" on Utube, Fascinating stuff and most definetly hit home with the family struggles that come with racing... Been there done that :P  Check it out!
FYI Mini Nationals is the race and that's our rig in the background selling Decals Chest protector ID plates n Jersey lettering... Good times!
« Last Edit: 03/12/14 09:03PM by RdTodd »

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 03/12/14 09:01PM »
LOL @ little TJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd...you look...about...the same

I can do late Thursday night pickup or early Friday pickup for Lidia if necessary

mbstr

« Reply #52 on: 03/12/14 09:17PM »
LOL @ little TJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd...you look...about...the same

I can do late Thursday night pickup or early Friday pickup for Lidia if necessary
Is cool I love going by and see what the Mad Scientist is up to!

mbstr

« Reply #53 on: 03/12/14 09:24PM »
The Wheel stander "Nova", Only thing stock will be the shell!
« Last Edit: 03/12/14 09:30PM by RdTodd »

scott777

« Reply #54 on: 03/12/14 11:14PM »
what time we leaving??

and Scott - are you in man?? we can put Lidia in backwards! but be prepared to sit 3-across in a regular cab truck for 1-1/2 hours

I would love too, but I'm slammed at work and can't take a whole day off like that; especially during the week. I even worked some on my birthday this past Monday. I haven't worked on my birthday in over 25 years! Don't get me wrong, I was drinking by 1:00... but I had planned on starting at 10:00!

Todd... My first car was a '74 Nova. Greatest car ever made! Had a Clay Smith 383 stroker, turbo 400, narrowed Ford 9 inch with 411's, ladder bars/coil overs and a 300 watt tape deck cranking Judas Priest! Blew the motor for about the 10th time and made the "grown-up" decision to sell it... for $400!  :13: My life's been downhill ever since.

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 03/13/14 08:49AM »
No problem, I'll get you on a ride soon - go take care of business and seal the deal

@ Todd:
-I only have a smoked visor - am I okay on that?
-Do you have a 2 stroke gas can?
-And surprisingly, I don't have a backpack, haha...can you carry a small tupperware of pasta and a fork?

going to carbo-load tonight...keep my energy up...and have a biiiiiiiiiig breakfast

as always, here's my suggested prep plan (although a bit late)

-3 days or a week in advance - air up your tires, change the oil, see if anyone else wants to ride...get parts as needed (ie. oil, chain lube, gopro mounts, etc.)
-2 nights before: do laundry (good chance gear is still filthy from last time)
-1 night before: load bike, ramps, pack up gear into bag, camel bak, get water/pack snacks/lunch, 4-stroke gas, 2-stroke gas, shower/clean up, go to bed early, prepare food and refrigerate so you can just re-heat it the next day. CHARGE your gopro/camera batteries
« Last Edit: 03/13/14 10:31AM by breakdirt916 »

Offline Comp720

• I'm not always an assh*le... Just kidding go f*ck yourself.
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Comp720's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02 Harley Road King, 2015 KTM 500EXC
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #56 on: 03/13/14 07:17PM »
I wll e out there around 2 or 4 o clock staying the whole weekend if you guys are still out there look for my ford flex on Soggy lake bed.  I should be on the lake bed real close to the base of the big hill climb right there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well-preserved piece. One should rather skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride"!!!

mbstr

« Reply #57 on: 03/13/14 07:20PM »
I gotcha covered buddie, Check this GoPro pic Tj shot Sunday! :27:

HBguy

« Reply #58 on: 03/13/14 08:30PM »
I wonder how many millionaires are nowhere near as happy as you are.  Surf, ride dirt n street...I feel boring just thinking about it.    Great pics bro...takes me back.   You'd love Nor Cal.

mbstr

« Reply #59 on: 03/13/14 08:48PM »
I wonder how many millionaires are nowhere near as happy as you are.  Surf, ride dirt n street...I feel boring just thinking about it.    Great pics bro...takes me back.   You'd love Nor Cal.
Money and the latest and greatest are WAAAAY over rated in my book, Making due with what you have or earn + Making memories with friends and family is what Im all about!
« Last Edit: 03/13/14 08:58PM by RdTodd »

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 50 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything