Topic: The dirt bike thread!  (Read 179656 times)

Offline MurdaJ

Re: The dirt bike thread!
« Reply #960 on: 12/18/15 05:21PM »
AHHHHHH!!!!

I love that area!!!

btw...I am also planning an Huntington Beach -> Long Beach "dirt spots" ride...plated bikes only cuz "you gotta keep moving" sorta thing

Would you believe I've crawled all the way up that hill in my jeep? That whole road is fun
Need a mechanic? Avoid Oc Motorcycle Shop/Superchicken Drew

mbstr

« Reply #961 on: 12/18/15 09:21PM »
First time after all these years I been up there 100% legal it was weird and soothing not to be looking over my shoulder ready to bolt :)

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #962 on: 12/19/15 03:19PM »
Would you believe I've crawled all the way up that hill in my jeep? That whole road is fun

that hill isn't bad, but seems sorta nutty in a jeep!

how far does it go??

it's not on the SBNF trail map....

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5202570.pdf
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline MurdaJ

« Reply #963 on: 12/19/15 09:20PM »
 Dirt bikes make everything seem easier lol

It goes up to the cafe at 138 and hwy2, with a bunch of off shoots that meander around towards phelan and baldy Mesa
Need a mechanic? Avoid Oc Motorcycle Shop/Superchicken Drew

mbstr

« Reply #964 on: 12/19/15 09:33PM »
Dirt bikes make everything seem easier lol

It goes up to the cafe at 138 and hwy2, with a bunch of off shoots that meander around towards phelan and baldy Mesa
Yes they do and Hella fun at the same time stay tuned for an upcoming  dual sport Big Bear run :17:
« Last Edit: 12/19/15 09:41PM by RdTodd »

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: 12/19/15 09:48PM »
so we can ride dirt from Cajon Junction all the way to mountain top cafe @ the end of Angeles Crest Highway?!?

@RdTodd - we HAVE TO DO THIS

I love showing up to sportbike cafe's all covered in mud  :32:
« Last Edit: 12/19/15 09:59PM by breakdirt916 »

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: 12/20/15 08:02PM »
quad = couch @00:21 :32:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQzZJVfZydE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UQzZJVfZydE</a>

Scott

« Reply #967 on: 12/22/15 07:04PM »
Alright guys, can I get your honest opinions? XR650L

Here's my thinking... Todd and others advise me that the WR250R is just not enough bike and I would regret not going bigger. Totally trust Todd's opinion and his points all made sense. So that's out. Thought about bikes like the Triumph Tiger 800, KLR's and the like... They get great reviews and all that, but they are road orientated bikes. After a heart to heart with myself, I don't want a road bike that can do dirt. I want a dirt bike that can do road. Which brings up the KTM's. I know you guys don't mind tinkering on your bikes, but I'm just not into working on stuff like that anymore... so those "every 30 hour valve check" bikes are out. Which leaves me with the DRZ's, or used, older, plated dirt bikes (see above where I don't want something I have to work on)... then I was reminded of the XR650. Everyone says they are better on the dirt (outside of KTM type bikes), pretty decent on the street, noob-to-dirt friendly, and the little short comings (mainly the soft suspension) is something I wouldn't notice until I got better and is fixable with new springs. Also, Honda reliability and air cooled (so I'm not worried about a radiator) and tons of aftermarket parts because the bike hasn't changed is 100 years. Saw some new 2015's for around $5k on Cycletrader.

Is it a bad bike? Any experience with them? Good choice? Over my noobie head? Looking for something to hit the local trails with you guys... maybe some local desert and local mountain type stuff on occasion... What do you think?

Offline Mud

« Reply #968 on: 12/22/15 07:26PM »
Alright guys, can I get your honest opinions? XR650L

Here's my thinking... Todd and others advise me that the WR250R is just not enough bike and I would regret not going bigger. Totally trust Todd's opinion and his points all made sense. So that's out. Thought about bikes like the Triumph Tiger 800, KLR's and the like... They get great reviews and all that, but they are road orientated bikes. After a heart to heart with myself, I don't want a road bike that can do dirt. I want a dirt bike that can do road. Which brings up the KTM's. I know you guys don't mind tinkering on your bikes, but I'm just not into working on stuff like that anymore... so those "every 30 hour valve check" bikes are out. Which leaves me with the DRZ's, or used, older, plated dirt bikes (see above where I don't want something I have to work on)... then I was reminded of the XR650. Everyone says they are better on the dirt (outside of KTM type bikes), pretty decent on the street, noob-to-dirt friendly, and the little short comings (mainly the soft suspension) is something I wouldn't notice until I got better and is fixable with new springs. Also, Honda reliability and air cooled (so I'm not worried about a radiator) and tons of aftermarket parts because the bike hasn't changed is 100 years. Saw some new 2015's for around $5k on Cycletrader.

Is it a bad bike? Any experience with them? Good choice? Over my noobie head? Looking for something to hit the local trails with you guys... maybe some local desert and local mountain type stuff on occasion... What do you think?
It will do everything that we do, maybe not single track. It will just do it slower.

I would rather get a wr250r. I went from a klr650 (to heavy) to a wr250r (not enough power on steep hill climbs, great everywhere else) to a ktm 525 exc. (perfect).

Do you have a truck/trailer to transport the bike?

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #969 on: 12/22/15 07:29PM »
I have the XR400 which is essentially the XR650's little brother.  My bike has performed flawlessly since I got her 2k miles ago, and starts on the first or second kick.  I've heard of valve clearance checks needing to be done every 4k miles or so on the 650.  I adjust mine every 1k, and it only takes about 30 minutes.  As for suspension, I doubt you'll need to touch it for the occasional fire trail, unless you plan on doing the Baja 1k, you should be fine.  Forums do recommend removing the smog junk, uncorking the intake, and rejetting may also help extract some more power.  The XR650's and 400's tend to run hot, so an oil temp dipstick is essential, and a great way to monitor temps.  The downside to 650's: they're heavy and requires more planning/looking ahead when hitting the technical stuff.  You can pick up a used one, likely with all the mods done and even some aftermarket goodies, for less than $5k. 
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline BrnEyzR1

• 998cc
  • BrnEyzR1's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 18 Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer ~ 10 Ducati 1198S Corse.....RIP Jack (07 R1)
  • Years Riding: 27 street/30 dirt
« Reply #970 on: 12/22/15 07:32PM »
New Years!!! So excited!! 😄

mbstr

« Reply #971 on: 12/22/15 08:47PM »
New Years!!! So excited!! 😄
I love that area, Where the Hell is Randsburg? :32:

Scott

« Reply #972 on: 12/22/15 08:48PM »
@mud... no truck or way to transport. That's why I need a plate. So you would go a WR huh? Did you mod yours? Sprocket, pipe, remap or anything to help the power?

@TC... Thanks man. I read those same tips about the smog and stuff. Figure I would leave it stock and learn to ride it before I really did anything to it. Although everyone said it comes set really lean, so a rejet is something I might do quickly. I also watched a quick video on how to do the valves (you're right on the every 4K intervals). Seemed really easy and quick... something I might actually do myself if it's only once a year or so. Interesting on your oil temp gauge... there really seemed to be two schools of thought on doing that across the forums. One group that swears to do it, monitor it, it gets to 300 degrees in 80+ degree weather which burns the oil... The other group that basically stands on "the bike is fine, you worry to much, I have 1,000,000 miles on mine and never cooked the engine riding in the Arizona desert every day for the last 10 years..." It was funny because guys on both sides were raving about how reliable and indestructible the bike is at the same time they're arguing about it cooking the oil??? The guys on the "it's fine" side did all argue that if the bike is running hot it's because it's running to lean... that actually made sense to me. The other weakness I found guys talking about was if you load up the tail with lots of weight it will crack and break if you hit jumps... couldn't help but think "no shit" when I was reading that :32:

Think I'm liking the idea of this bike.

mbstr

« Reply #973 on: 12/22/15 09:09PM »
Your height and weight are perfect for a Wr450 In need to put stock springs and narrower bars to small mine down for my whopping 145lbs but the power is very manageable, The guy I bought mine from purchased the Katooom (Same as Mud) and said he loved it but missed the Wide Ratio of the Yamaha. If your buying new (I wouldn't) hit me up I have contacts at P.S motorsports and Three Bros;)
« Last Edit: 12/22/15 09:11PM by RdTodd »

Offline Irvine_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Irvine_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: *bikeless*
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #974 on: 12/22/15 09:20PM »
Love my dr, but sort of wish I had bought the KTM instead.
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: 12/22/15 11:16PM »
ugh timing LOL...there was an '07 XR650L in Mike's lot...fun torque around town on a big thumper, but the "-L" is piggy

to be honest, I don't have much "accurate" info...just personal experience...and what turns me up doesn't do it for "most" people

1.) how tall/fat are you

2.) what kind of riding? (ratio - ie. 50% fire roads, 30% desert trails, 20% motocross/busted knees)
« Last Edit: 12/22/15 11:30PM by breakdirt916 »

Scott

« Reply #976 on: 12/23/15 10:46AM »
@Todd I'm not only hitting you up for advise and help, but hoping you'll do the financing as well :7:

@Chris have you done any mods to that bike yet? I know I've seen a ton of YouTube stuff on your bike and owners love them, especially after some basic work.

@Break you don't remember what I look like? Gezz man... My feelings are hurt  :36: I'm the perfect man height of 6'1 - 6'2 (I'm old and shrinking), and the perfect man weight of 200 lbs :25: I know Mike use to commute on that bike pretty much every day. He had that engine rebuilt at least once if not twice. I'm want something more trouble free than that, so no worries about that one being gone.

As far as where I intend to ride, right behind you wherever you go! Seriously. I fully plan on tagging along with you and Todd on all your rides. I need all the help I can get and trust you guys not to get me killed. Plus, I love you guys :12:

Offline Irvine_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Irvine_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: *bikeless*
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #977 on: 12/23/15 11:22AM »
@Chris have you done any mods to that bike yet? I know I've seen a ton of YouTube stuff on your bike and owners love them, especially after some basic work.

Yeah, I've done a couple of small mods....

• Jet kit with K&N (bike came with pipe)
  • Supermoto wheels
  • Fork springs, oil, and emulators
  • Rear shock
  • High compression piston (Had a base gasket leak and I figured, since I had it apart...)
  • Big plastic tank
  • Skid plate
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: 12/23/15 08:15PM »
ya, then the XR650L would be a good bet...it's tall and a bit piggy, but you got the reach and strength to handle it

and it'll go most of the places that Todd n I go (definitely local - OC)

do it already!!!!

btw - trabuco canyon Sunday 8-10am!

mbstr

« Reply #979 on: 12/26/15 08:36AM »
WOOOHOOOOO :31:

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 53 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook