Topic: my r6 wont stop shooting FLAMES ! :O  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Edwardjames

• 50cc
  • Edwardjames's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 r6
  • Years Riding: 5 years on dirt/6 months on pavement
my r6 wont stop shooting FLAMES ! :O
« on: 03/10/14 08:47PM »
i did a quick search on here and didn't find anything of use.

so ill start by saying i have a 2013 yamaha r6 with a two brothers full system. i would get an occasional flame now and then but i just installed smog block off plates and a power commander 5 and my bike wont stop shooting flames. they look really rad but im worried about harming my bike.

i think i have the right map for it on my pcv, i can check again, but will these blue flames do any damage ?

anyone else turn their Yamaha into a flame thrower ?  :26:

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • The Cycle Guy's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Daytona 675, DT-50
  • Years Riding: 40+
Re: my r6 wont stop shooting FLAMES ! :O
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/14 10:42PM »
Sounds like it's running way too rich.  The flames look cool, but they'll probably burn up the fiberglass packing material in your muffler quickly, and if you've got the carbon fiber muffler you could burn through the carbon cannister too. Running too rich could also quickly foul your spark plugs.  Your bike will produce more power, and fewer flames, if you get the right mapping. 

Offline oobe

« Reply #2 on: 03/10/14 11:29PM »
It could also be lean. When running lean, temperature is much higher which could result in a blue flame. I would put it on a dyno and get your AFR. Then make sure you have the right map on the PC5.

Offline Edwardjames

• 50cc
  • Edwardjames's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/11/14 08:16AM »
I'll have to look into getting it on a dyno. I don't know if it's a characteristic of running lean also, but it's leaving a lot of black carbon residue on the end of the can. Could it also be due to the o2 optimizer that came with my PC5? I mean it's kinda weird that I can replace my o2 sensor with a little black box that imitates the function of it without picking up a reading from my exhaust.

Offline H-2 Charlie

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • H-2 Charlie's Gallery
  • THE BADDEST BIKE ON THE PLANET
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Beemer S1K
« Reply #4 on: 03/11/14 08:21AM »
graves in torrance or other local shops can dyno it .
MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• I can't wheelie my 1000 :-( JK
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
  • I FIX BIKES - 714 798 4077
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many.
  • Years Riding: 9
« Reply #5 on: 03/11/14 09:16AM »
Did you just put block off plates and stop there or did you completely remove the pair system and reroute it into itself? pair will cause a lot of popping and flames if you disable it the popping will stop/lessen. But most likely you are running too lean, no harm to the bike besides running a bit on the hot side depending on how lean you are. My SV sounds like a shoot out in compton when I decel lol

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
    • My rarely updated blog...
  • Bike: 2006 Suzuki SV650(n)
  • Years Riding: Since 6/4/2013
« Reply #6 on: 03/11/14 10:22AM »
A spark arrester helps loads with killing the popping, and still gets the emissions reduced...

Offline xDJXKLUSIVEx

• I can't wheelie my 1000 :-( JK
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • xDJXKLUSIVEx's Gallery
  • I FIX BIKES - 714 798 4077
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many.
  • Years Riding: 9
« Reply #7 on: 03/11/14 11:23AM »
A spark arrester helps loads with killing the popping, and still gets the emissions reduced...

for dirt bikes.

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #8 on: 03/11/14 11:30AM »
When does it happen?
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/11/14 12:16PM »

for dirt bikes.

For TwoBros exhausts... I put the spark arrester in on my SV, and it killed the pops on decel. Also have the P1x silencer tip as without it the TwoBros was just to loud. But without the arrester I was still getting lots of backfires.

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/11/14 01:33PM »
black soot coming out the muffler is another sign of too-rich mixture.  And a spark arrester on a street bike?  Why would anyone do that?  If you're putting a spark arrester on a streetbike to reduce backfire, you're merely dealing with a symptom, not fixing the root cause of the problem.

Offline r0ckrat

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • r0ckrat's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/11/14 02:36PM »
black soot coming out the muffler is another sign of too-rich mixture.  And a spark arrester on a street bike?  Why would anyone do that?  If you're putting a spark arrester on a streetbike to reduce backfire, you're merely dealing with a symptom, not fixing the root cause of the problem.

I didn't want to increase emissions by removing the PAIR system. It adds less back pressure than the stock muffler, but enough to allow the hydrocarbons to burn without the excess noise.

Offline The Cycle Guy

• 800cc MOTO GP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/11/14 03:07PM »

I didn't want to increase emissions by removing the PAIR system. It adds less back pressure than the stock muffler, but enough to allow the hydrocarbons to burn without the excess noise.
OK now I'm a little confused.  Were you addressing my comment about soot?  or my comment about a spark arrestor?  What does the PAIR system have to do with the stock muffler?  Isn't PAIR well ahead of the muffler, in fact ahead of the catalytic converter?  And how does PAIR removal affect noise?  It didn't affect the sound when I removed PAIR and installed the block off plates on a bike a few years back.

Regardless, I was just trying to answer the questions about flames, and soot on your tail pipe.  Both are signs of a too-rich mixture.  You might want to check your spark plugs to see how they look.  If the spark plugs are black, that's another sign of a rich mixture.
« Last Edit: 03/11/14 03:10PM by The Cycle Guy »

Offline Edwardjames

• 50cc
  • Edwardjames's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/11/14 03:16PM »
Did you just put block off plates and stop there or did you completely remove the pair system and reroute it into itself? pair will cause a lot of popping and flames if you disable it the popping will stop/lessen. But most likely you are running too lean, no harm to the bike besides running a bit on the hot side depending on how lean you are. My SV sounds like a shoot out in compton when I decel lol

I completely removed the air pumps and used a provided cap that plugs the hole in the air filter box that the air pump would draw from. I ran the bike for about 30 minutes like this prior to installing the PC5. It was when I put the PC5 in that I really noticed the  blue flames. My bike doesn't run any cooler or warmer than it did before.

When does it happen?

It happens when I rev it above 10k RPMs and pretty much every time on deceleration. When I decelerate from high RPMs it can do it up to a few times until it reaches idle or I give it throttle.
« Last Edit: 03/11/14 04:39PM by Edwardjames »

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #14 on: 03/11/14 04:42PM »
Yeah that tends to happen after exhaust and all that. Excess fuel being burned off. When you chop the throttle the air flow stops faster than the injectors stop squirting. So a little extra fuel is in the combustion chamber without enough air to ignite it all and then when it gets into the pipe where there is more oxygen and a lot of heat it pops and viola fireballs. Power commander and tune will reduce the frequencies but it can still happen.
Tattoos are like Motorcycle Mechanics, Cheap Ones aren't Good and Good Ones aren't Cheap.

Offline AlmosTryin

« Reply #15 on: 03/11/14 04:44PM »
And no it's not terribly bad for your bike. Mine does the same shit on occasion

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 60 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything