Topic: Harley vs. Sportbike  (Read 5750 times)

Offline VENGER

• 599cc
  • VENGER's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 81 KZ550, 05 636, 06 VFR Street Fighter, 10 XB12r
  • Years Riding: 10 (almost daily riding)
Re: Harley vs. Sportbike
« Reply #20 on: 03/31/14 11:16PM »
Cruisers don't get any respect from me. Specially American made Harleys. Yuck.

....ok ???

Offline Sonny600RR

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • Sonny600RR's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 04 CBRf4i (SOLD), 05 CBR600RR(SOLD)
  • Years Riding: Never Enough.
« Reply #21 on: 03/31/14 11:27PM »
TO HIS OR HERS OWN. any 2 wheel moto is a win in my book! I like to have both one day :)
Simple Smokes
    7835 Westminster Blvd
   Westminster, CA 92683

CALIFORNIA KINGS TATTOO
     3213 N Glassell St
      Orange, CA 92865
         Ask for ADAM

Offline FlossinGSXR

« Reply #22 on: 04/01/14 01:50AM »
TO HIS OR HERS OWN. any 2 wheel moto is a win in my book! I like to have both one day :)

Agreed  :7:

Offline sos26

« Reply #23 on: 04/01/14 06:27AM »
Thanks for all the responses and insights. I find myself just pulling the HD out of the garage lately, yet there are times while on the road I wish I was on the 6 instead, but in general the HD does a fine job for a mellow ride. I compare it to owning a classic car, there's nothing like it.

Offline SmokEy87

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • SmokEy87's Gallery
  • Solo Dios Sabe
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Ninja Zx6r-2011 yamaha R6
  • Years Riding: 10
« Reply #24 on: 04/01/14 03:09PM »
shit if I had the money I would have one of each kind!!!

scott777

« Reply #25 on: 04/01/14 04:29PM »
I went up to Irv Seaver's this last Saturday to test their used HD Road King. Clean looking bike, black, side bags, 35,000 miles for under $10k. I was thinking of picking it up for Colorado trips etc. Ran it up the 57 to the 22 to the 55 back to Katella. When I pulled back into the driveway, it had blown a gasket and had oil mixed with something all down the side of it! I never pulled over 4,000 rpm's on the bike... Mainly because above 75 it started getting speed wobbles. That was the first and probably last Harley I'll ever ride.

Offline FZ1_Chris

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • FZ1_Chris's Gallery
  • Let's go for a ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 FE 501
  • Years Riding: Since 1981
« Reply #26 on: 04/01/14 05:10PM »
... Mainly because above 75 it started getting speed wobbles. That was the first and probably last Harley I'll ever ride.

Good times!

:51: :51: :51: :51:
Motorcycles motorcycles motorcycles

Offline Kota

• 749cc
  • Kota's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02' Honda 954rr
« Reply #27 on: 04/02/14 12:31AM »
Parkour > Harley Davidson       Go Human body :32:

Offline Snapshot

• Fogwalker
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Snapshot's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Matilda the Ninja 250
  • Years Riding: 38, Years Training Riders: 16
« Reply #28 on: 04/02/14 08:20AM »
I'd own one.  The engineering is rather elegant when you get down to it.  I did a lot of miles on an XR-1200 that reminded me very much of a Ducati.

Expecting one to perform like a sport-bike is much like going to an American buffet expecting to eat Japanese cuisine.  Not everyone wants sport-bike performance because they're not racing the same race that we are.

Ride on,

J~
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Offline breakdirt916

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • breakdirt916's Gallery
  • learning to ride dirt
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 94 Yamaha YZ250 07 Suzuki DL650
« Reply #29 on: 04/02/14 09:12AM »
only rode one...'74(?) sportster...reverse braking and shifting...made it 5 miles and the clutch cable broke, lol

I'm with everyone that says - who cares? it's 2 wheels...just be glad we're riding

life is too short, and we're too blessed to be financially viable to enjoy motorcycles in a recreational manner to hate on other riders
FREE $15 UBER CREDIT PROMO CODE: pon41

Offline thepretender

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • thepretender's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R, 2002 VFR
  • Years Riding: Never enough.
« Reply #30 on: 04/02/14 09:33AM »
Why not Ferrari vs MiniVan. You can get from a to b in ether so they are interchangeable right. Different vehicles but each has a role to play same as Harley vs Sportbike. There are times when my Vmax just makes more sense than my FZ1 other times the FZ1 is by far the better tool. Choice is good :17:     
"The ride IS the destination..." OOTV

If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it?"
"If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"
Sam Harris

Offline HOOLIGAN

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • HOOLIGAN's Gallery
  • It's like that, and that's the way it is!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2003 Z(inja)1000, 2005 WR450F
  • Years Riding: 28 years
« Reply #31 on: 04/02/14 02:21PM »
I have a secret attraction towards H-D's.
It's a totally different speed, and sometimes; that would be a good thing for me.
I've riden a custom soft tail and a fat boy... both were fun to ride.
I like the V-Rod Muscle, the Road Glide, The Deuce, and the Breakout. I guess there's a drag bike theme going there... lol.

This bike started out as a Deuce...

Road Glide

:17:
BUT none are a "dream bike" of mine

I GOTTA STAY FLY-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y TIL I DIE-I-I-I-I-I

Offline Throttle Chopper

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Throttle Chopper's Gallery
  • "UNOFFICIAL" ride posting host (L/S)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 BMW S1000R, '00 Honda XR400R Plated, '14 S1000RR (RIP), '13 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
  • Years Riding: 30
« Reply #32 on: 04/02/14 02:51PM »
I rented a Fat Boy and thought it was okay for the sight-seeing/low-speed riding I was doing for the day.  No reliability issues to report, thankfully.  Would I trade my streetfighter for a cruiser or bagger?  No.  That's not to say HD is terrible (although the vibration at idle was not for me), but it just doesn't fit my style of riding or my needs.  To each their own, the fact that you're on two wheels is good enough...
Every day is ride to work day!

Offline Sean-DP

• 749cc
  • Sean-DP's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: S1000R + Yamaha Star Bolt + Vespa 946
  • Years Riding: 2013
« Reply #33 on: 04/02/14 03:07PM »
I am not a particular fan of HD's for similar reasons others have stated here.  That said, I got a V-twin cruiser as my first bike and I love it.  I basically made a deal with myself that i'd ride this for a couple of years and then step up to something a bit more aggressive. Now that I ride every day, I find myself wanting to do this sooner than later, but that's more out of a love of bright, shiny new objects than out of not liking my ride.

I do love it when Harley riders wave as we pass each other, only to realize in horror that I'm not on an HD and they 'wasted' a wave.

Offline HOOLIGAN

• 800cc MOTO GP
  • HOOLIGAN's Gallery
  • It's like that, and that's the way it is!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2003 Z(inja)1000, 2005 WR450F
  • Years Riding: 28 years
« Reply #34 on: 04/02/14 03:43PM »
I do love it when Harley riders wave as we pass each other, only to realize in horror that I'm not on an HD and they 'wasted' a wave.

That's not a 'wasted' wave. It's the whole two-wheels thing. And quite possibly give you a heads up of any po-po up the road. I always throw out two fingers down (except to scooter riders, lol)

I GOTTA STAY FLY-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y TIL I DIE-I-I-I-I-I

Offline Sean-DP

• 749cc
  • Sean-DP's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04/02/14 04:22PM »
That's not a 'wasted' wave. It's the whole two-wheels thing. And quite possibly give you a heads up of any po-po up the road. I always throw out two fingers down (except to scooter riders, lol)

I agree -- the 'wasted' was in quotation marks 'cause most Harley riders don't usually wave to non-Harleys and I have literally seen a flinch from a dude who dropped me a wave and then realized I wasn't on a Harley.  But I'm with you and the social/community aspect of waving is one of my favorite things about riding.  (and since I also ride a scooter, I always wave to scooter-heads to give them a little love too!)

Offline Kota

• 749cc
  • Kota's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 02' Honda 954rr
« Reply #36 on: 04/02/14 06:53PM »

I agree -- the 'wasted' was in quotation marks 'cause most Harley riders don't usually wave to non-Harleys and I have literally seen a flinch from a dude who dropped me a wave and then realized I wasn't on a Harley.  But I'm with you and the social/community aspect of waving is one of my favorite things about riding.  (and since I also ride a scooter, I always wave to scooter-heads to give them a little love too!)

I don't know about you guys but I feel like a President every time I ride. I want to wave at every being. Like I even wave at dogs, pedestrians, and especially the birds in the sky. And everytime I see a cyclist I pretend that my motobike is a bicycle and I start to pedal my imaginary crank. It's so much fun to entertain the crowd and make people laugh.....unless I see a cop....they are no fun....well most of them, but some cops are super laidback prob cuz they grew up stunt riding bmx/drit bikes.

Offline Sean-DP

• 749cc
  • Sean-DP's Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04/02/14 08:23PM »
I don't know about you guys but I feel like a President every time I ride. I want to wave at every being. Like I even wave at dogs, pedestrians, and especially the birds in the sky. And everytime I see a cyclist I pretend that my motobike is a bicycle and I start to pedal my imaginary crank. It's so much fun to entertain the crowd and make people laugh.....unless I see a cop....they are no fun....well most of them, but some cops are super laidback prob cuz they grew up stunt riding bmx/drit bikes.
I like your style, Kota, and I like the President analogy. I feel the same & also love goofing with people.

I do even more of that shit when I'm on my Vespa. I use a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet and I sit much higher, so it's easier to talk & engage with people. I say 'bless you' to people who sneeze at stoplights, pretend I'm dribbling a basketball and 'dunking' on a street-side basket with kids looking on, etc. Gives me a kick.

mbstr

« Reply #38 on: 04/02/14 08:32PM »
Yep Im the President and waving no matta what .... just happy to be riding! :17:
« Last Edit: 04/02/14 08:38PM by RdTodd »

scott777

« Reply #39 on: 04/02/14 09:22PM »
I'm a total waver, even a bigger hat tapper!

Marlowe, Bolts are nice bikes. You'll be sad if you sell it. I wish I would have kept my Storm, but I was craving a change like you're talking about, so I trader her. I'm glad I did, but doesn't mean I don't miss her though  :'(

Beemer Chris really got me thinking about picking up a second bike; something more along the lines of a comfy long, long, long ride bike; that's why I checked out the Road King. And ya... The vibration at idle is just to much for me too. It's not what I'm looking for. Nice looking bikes though... just not for me. While I was there, I did ride that K 1600 GTL. I'll go ahead and say that was a little more plush than the Harley.

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 62 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything