Topic: Harley vs. Sportbike  (Read 5155 times)

Offline cripple

Re: Harley vs. Sportbike
« Reply #40 on: 04/02/14 11:06PM »
My bike is a sportster with a stronger engine and better suspension. It handles great, is comfy, and makes a good commuter. I sometimes find myself itching for a Daytona, but then I ride and realize my bike is still capable of more than I am so I am happy with it.  All that matters though is 2 wheels. I don't think I hate any motorcycle.

Offline jonathonsdaddy

• 599cc
  • jonathonsdaddy's Gallery
  • If it has 2 Wheels I want to Ride It !
    • View Profile
    • Americas complete buying center
  • Bike: 2003 and 2009 FZ 1
  • Years Riding: 35+ street / 2 skills days / several TRACK days
« Reply #41 on: 04/06/14 04:53PM »
I own both as well :

2005 Sportster 1200 Custom
Rubber mounted Evolution motor + carbuerated = The best H D ever ( excluding the FXR's  ) 

2003 Yamaha FZ 1
Naked bike with R 1 motor and upright ergos

BOTH are great bikes in different ways

Yamaha's front wheel comes up easily with very small throttle movement !
Harley is smooth and comfortable  and front wheel stays down easily !
I 'll be ME and you be YOU !!

Offline tbonevfr1200

« Reply #42 on: 04/06/14 06:34PM »
Used to own a Shadow VT 600 about 20 years ago.Very comfortable and extremely reliable. But after getting my first sport bike, it's hard to go back.If I ever got the itch for a cruiser I would never get a Harley.They are beautiful bikes but not mechanically sound at all.Pretty much the Fords of the motorcycle world.

Offline cripple

« Reply #43 on: 04/06/14 10:16PM »
Used to own a Shadow VT 600 about 20 years ago.Very comfortable and extremely reliable. But after getting my first sport bike, it's hard to go back.If I ever got the itch for a cruiser I would never get a Harley.They are beautiful bikes but not mechanically sound at all.Pretty much the Fords of the motorcycle world.

I have never heard of modern Harleys being unreliable...

HBguy

« Reply #44 on: 04/06/14 10:21PM »
I'm glad this topic has been settled.  Now I'm sure I'll never see this topic come up anywhere on the internet ever again.

Offline cripple

« Reply #45 on: 04/06/14 10:36PM »
I'm glad this topic has been settled.  Now I'm sure I'll never see this topic come up anywhere on the internet ever again.

Ya......about that, haha.

Offline jonathonsdaddy

• 599cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04/07/14 05:10AM »
They are beautiful bikes but not mechanically sound at all.Pretty much the Fords of the motorcycle world.

I also own a FORD and it is by far the most reliable car I have owned !

Have you ever driven an older mustang fastback or Shelby ... Each person has there own opinion / taste and that is why there are
so many choices for us AMERICANS with all the $$$.

If I had a bigger garage I would have one of each brand of motorcycle, yes that would include a HYOSUNG 650 !

I LOVE to RIDE and that's what its all about .... 2 wheels are 2 wheels , no matter the name on the tank

Offline amathews98

« Reply #47 on: 04/07/14 09:39AM »
I can't say Harley Davidson is unreliable since I have never owned one.  I have heard them being labeled as unreliable. But I have also heard the same about Ford.  Of the 4 Fords I (and my immediate family) have owned (all 1997 - 2007 model years, 3 over 100k+ miles, and 1 going on 12 years) they've had great service records and the 3 I sold brought in better than expected resale.

Rogue

« Reply #48 on: 05/18/14 02:11PM »
On the subject of HD reliability, here's my take.

My best friend bought his FIRST H-D in 2012.  It was an Electra Glide with all the bells and Whistles.  I believe this is H-D's flagship bike, and it was a whopping $30k.  My friend is a rider.  I mean he rides A LOT.  He commutes daily, rides almost every weekend, and takes his bikes on long distance rides.  He's ridden his Glide across the West, to Norcal, etc.  He loves his Glide.  But from the day he rode the bike home to now, and I think the bike is closing in on over 30k miles, he's had numerous problems with it.  The issues ranged from electrical, his stator failed, fork seals leaked, a sensor or two failed, and numerous other little things that forced him to take the bike back to the dealer for warranty repairs. 

It's easy enough to say these issues were just due to that one bike.  Personally, I owned an '06 Buell XB12r.  I loved that bike and took really good care of it.  But I also rode the piss out of it.  I put about 10k miles a year on that bike because I rode it for daily commuting, sport rides, and long tours.  During that time I've had some failures along the way.  The headlights were so cheap they faded to nothing and I had to replace them.  The taillights were the same.  The cooling fan failed at 18k miles.  The Fuel Pump failed at 20k miles.  All these issues were very easy to repair and none of them left me stranded on the road.

OTOH, I've owned two Honda VFR800's.  I put 30k miles on each of them.  The first VFR800 tail light bulb failed.  Also, one of it's taillight wiring got stretched and I had to rewire it.  That's it.   :D  I also had a ZX11 and a Hayabusa, I put 30k miles on the ZX11 and 50k miles on the Hayabusa.  Not a single failure on either one. 

Having said all that, I'd still buy a Buell if I had the opportunity.  Because I love them.  But I'll keep a Honda on the side just in case.   :17:

Offline jonathonsdaddy

• 599cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05/19/14 04:55AM »
I recently traded my 2005 1200 sportster custom for a newer FZ 1 ... The SPORTY was plagued with electrical GREMLIN's !

I did a Ton of RESEARCH and the 2004 - 2006 Sportster 1200 Custom was the BEST HD has to offer currently

I replaced every thing electrical on that darn HD scoot except the wiring harness . I owned it for about 2 years and had to call

AAA to be towed twice in that time frame. This the only bike I have ever been stranded by the side of the road.

I have only owned the standard UJM type bikes ( Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha ) and probably will stick to those.

The only HD I would ever consider would be a VROD type bike with a larger fuel tank and Upright Ergos !

The STREET 500 / 750 are copies of a SV 650 , but made in India  ... Junk !

Rogue

« Reply #50 on: 05/19/14 12:28PM »
The new HD 500 and 750's are supposed to be made in the USA.  Maybe assembled in the US but not made here from imported parts.  Not even sure if the engine is made here or shipped here built from India.  At least Buell's new 1190RX engines are built entirely here in Wisconsin, USA.  I'm sure some component parts will be made in other countries.

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 39 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything