Topic: SHARP helmet evaluation of $ vs protection  (Read 1943 times)

Offline erkishhorde

SHARP is nothing new but I just found this comparison today so I'm sharing. http://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

Rogue

Re: SHARP helmet evaluation of $ vs protection
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/14 04:56PM »
The best, unbiased helmet reviews I've ever seen is in Webbike World.

I refuse to buy a helmet without reading their reviews.  Very helpful with key points about helmets:  Fit and finish, function, visibility, Ventilation, and noise, plus pricing and where the helmet is made.

Offline Fenixgoon

• 599cc
  • Fenixgoon's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Kawasaki Ninja1000
  • Years Riding: 5
« Reply #2 on: 10/07/14 09:02PM »
there was another study, though probably not quite as extensive as this, that came away with a similar conclusion - price does not always correlate to protection.  i'm very curious about how many of the most protective helmets are available in the US.

also, it would be interesting to see more about the methodology for correlating the test data and accident data with a protective rating.

on a downside, their helmet impacts only go up to ~20mph. i'm curious as to how that compares to real-world impacts and other industry and or governmental standards.  i don't know DOT and Snell test standards off the top of my head.

Rogue

« Reply #3 on: 10/08/14 11:21AM »
Snell standards require their helmets to be "harder" for supposedly more protection.  But there are studies out there that show a harder shell doesn't necessarily mean better protection, because you actually want the shell to absorb the impact.  Snell also requires really good chin protection, so anything NOT full face or flip-up can't get Snell ratings. 

I think for the most part, a full face or locked-in chin bar is the minimum type of helmet protection.  After that DOT/ECE 22.5 rating.  Snell is icing on the cake but not a deal breaker for me.  Just having a full face helmet is plenty enough.  I'd rather focus on ventilation, noise suppression, eye port visibility & shield clarity, and aerodynamics.

Offline Andy

• Advisory Board
  • 800cc MOTO GP
  • Andy's Gallery
  • God created Ducati to train the faithful.
    • View Profile
    • Two Slow OC
  • Bike: Ducati Monster
  • Years Riding: 12
« Reply #4 on: 10/08/14 06:16PM »
on a downside, their helmet impacts only go up to ~20mph. i'm curious as to how that compares to real-world impacts and other industry and or governmental standards.  i don't know DOT and Snell test standards off the top of my head.

CHAPTER V--NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
PART 571--FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS--Table of Contents
Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Sec. 571.218 Standard No. 218; Motorcycle helmets.

S7.1.4 (a) The guided free fall drop height for the helmet and test headform combination onto the hemispherical anvil shall be such that the minimum impact speed is 17.1 feet/second (5.2 m/sec). The minimum drop height is 54.5 inches (138.4 cm). The drop height is adjusted upward from the minimum to the extent necessary to compensate for friction losses. (b) The guided free fall drop height for the helmet and test headform combination onto the flat anvil shall be such that the minimum impact speed is 19.7 ft./sec (6.0 m/sec). The minimum drop height is 72 inches (182.9 cm). The drop height is adjusted upward from the minimum to the extent necessary to compensate for friction losses.

ECE:
7.4.1.1.3. Test
The drop height shall be such that the unit constituted by the headform and helmet falls on the test anvil at a velocity which, immediately before impact, is equal to 8.5 (-0.0/+0.15) m/s.

The Hurt Report:
Hurt Report:
The median pre-crash speed was 29.8 mph, and the median crash speed was 21.5 mph, and the one-in-a-thousand crash speed is approximately 86 mph-
(altho nothing about helmet impact speed, since this data was compiled from real-world crashes, they could not measure the impact speed of the rider/helmet)

Offline Adrian

• 599cc
  • Adrian's Gallery
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Two Ducati 900 Supersports. '99 & '93
« Reply #5 on: 10/09/14 07:55AM »
on a downside, their helmet impacts only go up to ~20mph.

Most likely because if your head hits something much higher above 20mph as a dead straight on impact as their test almost surely is then you're dead whether you have a helmet or not.
« Last Edit: 10/09/14 07:57AM by Adrian »

Rogue

« Reply #6 on: 10/10/14 11:13AM »
I once saw a video of test.  It was a Ford Focus moving at 70 mph and it hit an immovable object head on.  That Focus was reduced to 30% of its original length.  Anyone inside that vehicle would have been crushed to death.

I also recently saw a vehicle strike a cyclist (side impact to cyclist), like for example if someone was running a red light and you crossed its path.  That cyclist was thrown 50 feet out like a ragdoll!  It was in Facebook and I think it was in Russia.  Vehicle looked like it was moving at 55-60 mph.  Not even that fast in my book.

So yeah you have a point.  Helmets will protect you from a simple low side and even a high side--low side being the most common.  But it sure won't protect you from a high speed impact against a much harder object!  Having said that, anything around your head is way, WAY better than nothing.  Face-planting on asphalt without a full face helmet is very bad too. 

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.

support@ocmoto.com
 Facebook
anything